Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Eye Contact: Not As Persuasive As We Thought

Big Bad Voodoo

According to a study from the University of British Columbia, the University of Freiburg in Germany and the Harvard Kennedy school, locking eyes with someone discussing controversial views actually made the listener less likely to be persuaded by the speaker's argument.

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/eye-contact-not-persuasive-we-thought

Depends on who you look in the eyes and when. It's not always the same, silly to assume it would be.

I generally prefer eye-to-eye contact when communicating.

I guess it depends on the conviction and how well you sell something.

• Like 1

I would think what you're saying, how you're saying it, other body language, and your reputation is at least as important as eye contact. Because I've had people look me square in the eye and lie their heads off, and I knew they were lying first rattle out of the box, despite all the eye contact being made.

• Like 2

There's a thin, flexible line between eye contact and staring at someone aggressively. People who perceive the latter will be less likely to consider your point of view.

I would think what you're saying, how you're saying it, other body language, and your reputation is at least as important as eye contact. Because I've had people look me square in the eye and lie their heads off, and I knew they were lying first rattle out of the box, despite all the eye contact being made.

I've also dealt with many people close to me lying..

Some people know how to 'hack' when lying, and sell it so well that even they believe it themselves.

Edited by Hatake Kakashi

Maybe the two most untrustable words in all the world are, "Trust me."

When I hear those words I go on instant alert. The other one is "Do you want to know the real truth?" When you hear that, get ready to hear a whopper. I always think, the real truth as opposed to what? The noun truth doesn't need a modifier.

http://search.yahoo.... the liars club

Check out the Johnny Carson video with John Lovitz.

Edited by Beany