Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Space Lightning?

Guest Nathan DiYorio

Guest Nathan DiYorio

Before we begin, I have no pictures. I don't think they would have come out even if I took them, because my only camera is a 3DS. Regardless, I'm sure what I witnessed is a well-documented phenomenon I know nothing about. The ET board isn't really appropriate, but there doesn't seem to be a "Space Mysteries" board, so meh.

Anyways, tonight my mom called me out to show me what she dubbed "Space Lightning", which is a pretty adequate term. We gazed up at a cluster of stars, maybe five or six with a dominant center star and several smaller surrounding ones, and every so often there would be a flash covering them. I'm not actually sure if the flash and the star cluster are related but the flash was the same approximate size as the cluster and appeared with its center at the exact point of the larger star.

What this looked like to me was, y'know that cool dark lightning when it flashes behind some clouds? That's what this looked like, only it was either really tiny lightning, or it was really far away.

Ideas?

Could be a very exciting discovery, do you know of any way of pointing others at what you have seen?

They get strange flashes on the moon too, but I suspect you may even have spotted a supernova!!!! Are you in the Northern hemisphere? Perhaps contact an astronomy forum and see if anyone can confirm your sighting, this could be super exciting!!!

Guest Nathan DiYorio

I am in New Hampshire. Unfortunately, not well-versed in the geography of stars. I can't even really make out constellations, it all looks about the same to me.

My girlfriend is coming over tonight with her quality camera. I can try to take a picture of the star cluster or its general vicinity if that might help.

Edited by Nathan DiYorio

I would think a supernova visible to the unaided eye would be all over the papers by now. When I read him I thought "Pleides," but I have no idea where it is in the sky in New Hampshire right now.

Here is a group you can contact. http://earthsky.org/

There are apps you can download to identify regions in the sky.

Here is a PC program; http://home.comcast.net/~nightvision/nvj.html

The thing you seen could have taken over 50,000 years or more to reach here?

Unless it's UFO battle?

• Like 1

Seen what I now believe to be 'UFO battles', couldn't credit when told about such 10 years before realizing the light shafts (faint but discernible) were actually targeting small faint dots moving around but flashing stars seem really interesting...

just a small suggestion.. have a quick look at the weather in the surrounding area's..

see if there is any thunderstorm activity..

if you have very light high cloud (its generally not that visible) and there is lightening near (even if its a long distance away) you can get a heliopause flicker ..

• Like 2

I am in New Hampshire. Unfortunately, not well-versed in the geography of stars. I can't even really make out constellations, it all looks about the same to me.

My girlfriend is coming over tonight with her quality camera. I can try to take a picture of the star cluster or its general vicinity if that might help.

If you have long exposure so you can get a group of identifiable stars it might, direction is good, in addition to the great programs suggested by DOS, Stellarium is some good free software that might help pinpoint the location.

I remember watching a Show and IT had to do with Plasma Flashes in the Upper Ionisphere or what ever The last 2% of the Thin Blue Line Is called these days !

It was quite amazing ! Looked like a good example of the description . Cheer`s !

well, could it NOT have been space lightening (for lack of better discription) but something in our own atmosphere but at such an angle and all that it looked like it was in the stars? cuz our minds/eyes see/translates things in such a way that it looks more then what it is.. (not saying it isnt awesome!)

You've probably witnessed a very rare event related to the awakening of our black hole from the centre of the galaxy and the magelanic claud ignitioned by its power. Here is more

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/09/130924091317.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+sciencedaily%2Fspace_time%2Fastronomy+(ScienceDaily%3A+Space+%26+Time+News+--+Astronomy)

In the same time Comet Ison just passed over mars approaching the sun. She has a huge tale of gas and water. It started melting. It will be visible on earth as the size of a moon