Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Arrests of Golden Dawn Leadership

Leonardo

The head of Greece's far-right Golden Dawn party, Nikos Mihaloliakos, has been remanded in custody on charges of organising a criminal group.

He appeared before investigating magistrates at an Athens court in a hearing that lasted into the early hours of Thursday.

He was one of six MPs arrested at the weekend amid outrage over the murder of an anti-racist musician.

Three have been freed pending trial while a fourth was remanded in custody.

All four have denied the charges against them.

source

I don't know much about this group. I had presumed them to be similar in their policy to the BNP, but the article portrays them of being more extreme right-wing than even that group.

The behaviour of some of the MP's in their ranks is deplorable.

source

I don't know much about this group. I had presumed them to be similar in their policy to the BNP, but the article portrays them of being more extreme right-wing than even that group.

The behaviour of some of the MP's in their ranks is deplorable.

They arrested the whole gang under racketeering laws alluding that the leadership actively promoted racial violence. Given that almost all their speeches have been shown on TV and that they were blatantly racist, and even if not intended, blatantly condoning violence the scapegoat part can be denied.

Now, whether it was necessary to arrest those blokes instead of letting the voter get more and more disgusted by them is a different question.

They arrested the whole gang under racketeering laws alluding that the leadership actively promoted racial violence. Given that almost all their speeches have been shown on TV and that they were blatantly racist, and even if not intended, blatantly condoning violence the scapegoat part can be denied.

Now, whether it was necessary to arrest those blokes instead of letting the voter get more and more disgusted by them is a different question.

They seemed to have had a core support that wasn't getting disgusted by them, and the economic situation in Greece pushed more people towards them as they promised to "look after the Greeks first".

I don't, however, see any connection between them and the murder that seems to have instigated their arrest? Or is the mention of the murder of the musician a bit of a red-herring regards why they were arrested?

I think any time any political party breaks the law the law should deal with it right off. Holding back for fear of political consequences merely makes things worse.

Oh, i thought it meant the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn; I thought, are they cracking down on mystical organisations? What next? The Illuminati? :unsure2:

• Like 4

They seemed to have had a core support that wasn't getting disgusted by them, and the economic situation in Greece pushed more people towards them as they promised to "look after the Greeks first".

I don't, however, see any connection between them and the murder that seems to have instigated their arrest? Or is the mention of the murder of the musician a bit of a red-herring regards why they were arrested?

The murder was kind of the last straw. Before that there was hardly a day when the GD fanatics did not beat up some immigrant, leftist or just somebody who refused to use the fascist salute. All cheered on and applauded by the leadership.

_70231447_019514619-1.jpg

Is that seriously their flag? Reminiscent of another flag, is it not?

_70231447_019514619-1.jpg

Is that seriously their flag? Reminiscent of another flag, is it not?

And absolutely intended.

The last time around fascism cost the world millions of lives. That societies have any tolerance for any of its modern manifestations, let alone one that flaunts its fascist nature, astonishes me.

And absolutely intended.

The Nazi party took advantage of the economic shambles that was post WWI Germany. And Greece is having an economic crisis. This is getting ugly.

• Like 1

The Nazi party took advantage of the economic shambles that was post WWI Germany. And Greece is having an economic crisis. This is getting ugly.

That is what fascists do: take advantage of dire situations when people's brains are otherwise occupied. But that applies to all extremists.

• Like 1

That is what fascists do: take advantage of dire situations when people's brains are otherwise occupied. But that applies to all extremists.

Yup. THe communists did the same thing and ended up murdering tens of millions as well :/

And worringly familiar - especially with the beatings of immigrants.

I think Greece is integrated into Europe enough that were such a group to show any sign of achieving power there would be a large intervention.