Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Big Bad Voodoo

[Merged] Fake Scientific Paper Fools 157 Journals

9 posts in this topic

“Molecule X from lichen species Y inhibits the growth of cancer cell Z. To substitute for those variables, I created a database of molecules, lichens, and cancer cell lines and wrote a computer program to generate hundreds of unique papers.”

That might sound reasonable enough, but the study was riddled with obvious errors and contradictions that an expert in the field should have caught immediately.

http://news.discovery.com/human/fake-scientific-paper-fools-157-journals-131003.htm

Posted (edited)

Ignorrance is bliss.

Edited by Big Bad Voodoo

Actually this study highlights a growing danger in academic fields: the growth of for-profit open access journals.

Since almost nobody wants printed copies of scientific journals any more, it is possible to publish entirely on the internet. Publishing on the internet is, of course, extremely cheap.

The concept of ``open access'' scientific publishing has also brought with it the concept that the author, not the readers need to pay the costs of publishing.

These two features have brought about the rise of a vast number of fraudulent journals with reasonable sounding names (a list of possible fraudulent journals can be found here), whose only goal is to make a quick buck off of unsuspecting scientists.

These journals email scientists inviting them to submit papers. (I receive many such emails myself, often inviting me to submit papers to journals that have absolutely nothing to do with my research.)

If the scientist submits a paper, the journal performs little peer review - if any, and then bills the scientist $100 (or whatever) for ``publication fees''.

At this point the editors of these fraudulent journals don't care if nobody else ever reads the papers... they already have the money.

------------

The open-access model is a very good thing, since it makes scientific research open to anyone - not just the few with a University library account.

In the future I imagine we will need some sort of independent review board to investigate every journal periodically to make sure it is conducting an appropriately stringent level of peer-review.

2 people like this

Sepul,

peer review is outdated not working method. Sadly.

Sure. What should we replace it with?

This is highly misleading; these journals were not peer reviewed journals. They charged to be published, which a peer reviewed journal would not do.

1 person likes this

Sepul,

peer review is outdated not working method. Sadly.

Actually according to the article you posted the journals weren't enforcing peer review, so no they do work when used.

Sure. What should we replace it with?

That we have to figure out. Im not that smart.