Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Weird dream symbol

Maverin1

In pure interest and an effort to find out what subconscious me is talking about I looked up some common dream symbols i experience. However there is one that i could not find at all. Everytime that i dream of being home it is in a house i used to live in. It is always the same house everytime. I did live there for a while, from 4th to 8th grade i believe. And i have since moved twice. While living in my previous apartment i've had dreams that i lived there a few times but mostly i dreamed that i still lived in that house. I have never had a dream that i can remember in which i was living in the house i live in now and i have lived here for about two years now. This is a very intriguing symbol to me because i can't even think of what it means but it is obviously something very important seeing as how it dominates my subconscious idea of "home". Anyone have any insight into this?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White Crane Feather

• DeWitz

• Maverin1

• Frank Merton

In pure interest and an effort to find out what subconscious me is talking about I looked up some common dream symbols i experience. However there is one that i could not find at all. Everytime that i dream of being home it is in a house i used to live in. It is always the same house everytime. I did live there for a while, from 4th to 8th grade i believe. And i have since moved twice. While living in my previous apartment i've had dreams that i lived there a few times but mostly i dreamed that i still lived in that house. I have never had a dream that i can remember in which i was living in the house i live in now and i have lived here for about two years now. This is a very intriguing symbol to me because i can't even think of what it means but it is obviously something very important seeing as how it dominates my subconscious idea of "home". Anyone have any insight into this?

Something started there.most likely something you are conflicted about. Your subconscious keeps going back to try to work through it. :)

Interesting take. But i don't see how that fits. The dream is never about the house. It in no way has anything to do with the house as an object or topic. It's just the setting for any number of entirely unique events. I also forgot to mention my whole immediate family lived together in this house at one time as well as family friends. Up to 8 people at the most.

Our neighborhood dream interpreter tells me that a childhood home is the symbol in dreams for all homes -- for the idea of home. Almost everyone, she says, has such a childhood home as their dream symbol for that. When such dreams are frequent, it doesn't indicate a desire to go back there but just a feeling that wherever you are now is not "home."

Perhaps there is a psychic link to the people who inhabited the place, and not the house itself.

Interesting take. But i don't see how that fits. The dream is never about the house. It in no way has anything to do with the house as an object or topic. It's just the setting for any number of entirely unique events. I also forgot to mention my whole immediate family lived together in this house at one time as well as family friends. Up to 8 people at the most.

Fits what exactly? Dreams usually are about internal conflicts. You keep returning to this house. If there is a reason this keeps happening, it will be about an internal conflict associated with this house. Something you are working through, trying to learn, or aware of on subtle levels.

Dreams aren't always about internal conflicts, in my experience...they can also be about just things you were reminded about recently, or places where you're comfortable.

I'd say, Maverin1, given your age when you lived in that house and the fact that a large part of your family plus family friends all lived there, that it's assumed a archetypal role in your subconscious as "home." My grandmother's house is the same for me--I never actually lived there (save for a few weeks before we moved out of the city), but our rather large extended family used to all meet there for holidays and other get-togethers, and it shows up in my dreams more than any of our actual houses.

Edited by Avallaine

I would pay attention to the times that is happens. Like if their is a pattern.

I have dreams that involve spiders whenever I am at a point in life were I have to make some big decisions.

So maybe their is some pattern to your house dreams.

You lived there for years during an important developmental time in your life, since then you've moved a bit.

Its possible that subconsciously, though you have moved from that place, somewhere deep down you still consider that place "home"

It could be home like many are suggesting. It could also be a set your mind is very comfortable with and can play scenarios on. I have a few sets I've had in my dreams for most of my life with all sorts of scenarios that happen in them. They are comfortable and familiar sets for the dream to play on.

• 1 month later...

Your "house" is yourself.

You know, even at the age of 43 I still dream, occasionally, about the house I grew up in (at least until I was 12).

It was, well, home. With mom, dad and the cat (of course) so it was the foundation for my life, good and bad.

For you I suspect it was similar AND maybe you just felt particularly comfortable or secure in that house.

You know, even at the age of 43 I still dream, occasionally, about the house I grew up in (at least until I was 12).

It was, well, home. With mom, dad and the cat (of course) so it was the foundation for my life, good and bad.

For you I suspect it was similar AND maybe you just felt particularly comfortable or secure in that house.

You lived there for years during an important developmental time in your life, since then you've moved a bit.

Its possible that subconsciously, though you have moved from that place, somewhere deep down you still consider that place "home"

Our neighborhood dream interpreter tells me that a childhood home is the symbol in dreams for all homes -- for the idea of home. Almost everyone, she says, has such a childhood home as their dream symbol for that. When such dreams are frequent, it doesn't indicate a desire to go back there but just a feeling that wherever you are now is not "home."

I would guess the same as the above three posters, when i dream about a 'home' it's always the home i grew up in from birth to age 7.

It's the place i have the happiest memories of and had my most loved family members around.

I would guess the same as the above three posters, when i dream about a 'home' it's always the home i grew up in from birth to age 7.

It's the place i have the happiest memories of and had my most loved family members around.

I would hazard a guess that, when these domiciles were not peaceful--when they were rent by violence, incest, abuse, rage and death--such become, eventually, our classic "haunted houses."

I know haunted people who still walk and talk.