Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Render

What's Up With Science's Gender Gap?

13 posts in this topic

Now, as ever, it's a tough time to be a lady in science. As Nature wrote in its women in science issue earlier this year: "Despite some progress, women scientists are still paid less, promoted less, win fewer grants and are more likely to leave research than similarly qualified men."

http://www.popsci.com/article/science/whats-sciences-gender-gap?dom=PSC&loc=recent&lnk=3&con=whats-up-with-sciences-gender-gap

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/magazine/why-are-there-still-so-few-women-in-science.html?_r=0

Science Is Institutionally Sexist. Here Are 4 Ways To Help Fix It

Across most industries, women are paid on average significantly less than men, and science is no exception. In 2008, the median salary for women in science and engineering was $60,000, a full $24,000 less than the equivalent male salary.

And as much as it sucks that women make less than men, this is symptomatic of an even larger problem within the sciences: an institutionalized sexism that prevents women from achieving as much similarly qualified men.

http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2013-03/natures-special-issue-proves-sexism-alive-and-well-science

It's not just the science industry that's sexist...everything is sexist. Life (in general) is sexist. Perhaps at some point in the future we'll see this change, but it probably won't be in my lifetime.

2 people like this

It's not just the science industry that's sexist...everything is sexist. Life (in general) is sexist. Perhaps at some point in the future we'll see this change, but it probably won't be in my lifetime.

Completely agree with you Lilly.

With respect the scientific establishment being sexist, I find that particularly ironic - in a sad, almost pathetic, way. Sexism implies dogmatism, which is something science (as a process) prides itself on fighting, or at least avoiding as much as possible.

2 people like this

Your answer is in your title. It's the word "career". If you want to make a career out of something, generally it's because you like what you do and are willing to work more than 40 hours a week at it. You might do your job without pay and work on your own to solve a problem during evenings and weekends. Career means dedication. Too many women are still being told that the only good reason for their existence is for having children. Some women can do it all, most can't, especially if they don't have someone supporting them with money, child care, or just plain encouragement. A lot of modern women have still been raised by traditional parents and don't want to disappoint. Others don't want to seem out of place in their communities. Some really want kids. And some women really believe that all women should have babies, no matter what. A lot of men believe that too. So to be a woman in the sciences means you have to have support, a thick skin, a huge belief in yourself and what you're doing, and the skill to do what you want to do plus the opportunity to attain what you want. That's a huge combination for anyone to come up with to have a career, but for most women, it's just about impossible unless their so-called career is something that society, men, parents, and the community at large believe in. To be a woman in any career, you have to buck every tradition there is. Not a lot of women want to do that and even fewer can.

Ha, how silly, everyone knows Girls can't science

1 person likes this

I beg to differ on that, Skep.

Women like to stay home and take care of their children while men scientist stay in their labs all day and night.

I beg to differ on that, Skep.

Last I checked you was female, so your opinion on things that AREN'T delicious pot roasts and vaccumes is worthless.

Im joking, all jokes, girls can science, dont hurt me

Can do science. Had babies. Can cook pot roast. Hate to vacuum (but still do). Anything else?

mmmm pot roast.

part of the problem with this might be that a large percentage of the better scientists comef rom outside the U.S. and theres still some social stigma to women not being at home. Specifically India, the middle east and asian countries

Edited by SkepticalB

Completely agree with you Lilly.

With respect the scientific establishment being sexist, I find that particularly ironic - in a sad, almost pathetic, way. Sexism implies dogmatism, which is something science (as a process) prides itself on fighting, or at least avoiding as much as possible.

There is a really profound problem in this irony that science is suffering because it is not addressing. Dogmatic thinking in clinical observation is not a good recipe for correct interpretation of data.

1 person likes this

And at teh same tiem the Pope has said for the Catholic church to stop focusing on gay people and abortions.

Oviously theres a glitch in the matrix

1 person likes this

Last I checked you was female, so your opinion on things that AREN'T delicious pot roasts and vaccumes is worthless.

Im joking, all jokes, girls can science, dont hurt me

Some can, some can't. I like science, but sometimes I have a hard time with math, even though I like math as well. And I promise I won't hurt you. I don't know a thing about pot roasts.