Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Carrie hoax. This would have fooled even me

Simbi Laveau

We see these all the time, usually involving some seriously fake ghost.

This one is pretty convincing, and I would have thought... Well mmmaaayybbeee.

It was in NYC too. Sorry I missed it.

http://gizmodo.com/watch-this-girl-with-telekinetic-powers-freak-out-coffe-1442158546?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gizmodo%2Ffull+%28Gizmodo%29

• Like 6

That was amazing!

• Like 1

Saw this yesterday. I would have freaked out I believe.

*hands on hips*

Where have you been?

I was beginning to really worry something happened to you

That was awesome! I'm surprised half those people didn't run out the door.

• Like 1

Love it, let this be the guide to all the "is this real or fake" threads we get......now we can say "refer to this thread". :tu:

• Like 2

I like how the people who built the set assumed everyone would leave their tables to make room for them to roll away.

• Like 1

I like how the people who built the set assumed everyone would leave their tables to make room for them to roll away.

It said they were all actors in the beginning....

I love that one of the people stopped to film with her phone lol

That would of been me :tu:

• Like 2

It said they were all actors in the beginning....

I blame my not putting on headphones until halfway through the video for not knowing that.

I blame my not putting on headphones until halfway through the video for not knowing that.

It...uh... it says it right on the screen.... :P

• Like 2

Great stunt!

I trust(hope) the unknowing costurmers were informed afterwards that it was a professional hoax.

Edited by pallidin

I'm amazed no-one pulled a gun out and took a shot at her. :gun:

Edited by CRIPTIC CHAMELEON
  • Like 2

I'm amazed no-one pulled a gun out and took a shot at her. :gun:

Or at least snuck up on her and knocked her out.

Still, as much as I don't believe in stuff like that, if iI saw it happening right by me as im munching a scone? You best believe I'd be glad I wear brown pants

What a liability nightmare. It would not surprise me, given that this was done as a stunt to promote a movie, if everyone, including the unsuspecting customers, was in on it in. Otherwise the creators of this stunt are left open to all sorts of lawsuits, like claiming post traumatic stress. Those unsuspecting customers at the minimum would have had to sign a waiver afterwards for their faces to be shown. Possible scenario, the "customers" were cast as extras without prior knowledge of what was about to happen and already waived their rights.

Edited by Razer
  • Like 1

I thought it was great, very well done.

I suppose we should be grateful for our hippocampus as it seems to play a role in memory and using those memories makes predictions of what will next occur. So, what happens when we have no prior learning regarding the event ... the unexpected as we can see. It would be interesting to repeat the experiment with the same individuals now that they experienced it.

Very well done stunt! Which means I must be a cruel so and so to enjoy the looks of incomprehension and fear on the faces of the unsuspecting coffee shop patrons.

Shame we weren't shown the reveal to them actually. That might have been more comical!

• Like 1

I would love to be in the middle of something like this myself. I hope I would have the presence of mind to know it was BS and act accordingly. I would probably get sucked into to panicking with everybody else though. :blush:

• Like 3

Razer razes a good point at post #17. A tort lawyer would have had a field day with any complaints of stress/diagnoses of PTSD/suits for reckless endangerment, undue mental harm, etc. etc. unless every one of those persons was an actor/advised beforehand. Which begs the question: For whom did the stunt producers intend this caper? Just a video audience? Who was the intended audience if they were all actors?

Razer razes a good point at post #17. A tort lawyer would have had a field day with any complaints of stress/diagnoses of PTSD/suits for reckless endangerment, undue mental harm, etc. etc. unless every one of those persons was an actor/advised beforehand. Which begs the question: For whom did the stunt producers intend this caper? Just a video audience? Who was the intended audience if they were all actors?

They are not all actors, just the people surrounding the main protagonists are actors. The people slightly further away (at the till and by the window) are 'real' customers. These are the people who show the biggest reaction to the prank, and are seen trying to leave the building, they are also different each time the prank is played out (it was done more than once).

This seems pretty straight forward to me, unless I missed something obvious?

Its the reactions of those not aware of the prank that give the video its strength, otherwise its not really a prank. I would guess that they were informed of the prank after filming, maybe even something in the window of the shop before entering to cover any legal issues.

• Like 1