Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Peter B

A little question about washing up detergent

6 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone could explain an unusual thing that my dishwashing detergent does.

When I upend the bottle and hold it at a slight angle, some of the detergent clings to the bottom (now at the top) and the sides of the bottle. Detergent on the bottom-now-top slowly drips off.

What's odd is that these detergent drops often bounce off the detergent-slick side of the bottle. I just assumed that the drops would just stick to the side and slowly drain down.

What's going on?

Wild guesses here - very happy to be refuted by anyone with more knowledge...

I believe that detergent, even though it reduces surface tension in water, does still have a surface tension effect of its own, so if the drops were small they might just bounce instead of being absorbed into the rest. Also, perhaps the detergent forms a very thin skin as the air dries it, or even by a very slow/small chemical reaction with some gas in the atmosphere...?

Where's Dr Karl? (Aussies will understand that reference...)

If only you'd asked yesterday. Today's the kitchen maid's day off!

2 people like this

I'm sure it's something similar to why glue doesn't stick to the inside of the bottle: there's likely a coating of something on the interior of the bottle that makes it react differently.

But that's a huge guess on my part.

The more difficult it is to empty a container more is wasted ensuring more sales.

Its just gravity, and the pull it has on matter...

Imagine a guy weighing a certain weight, and another guy weighing double that, suspended from a roof by a wad of gooey substance...the gooey substance won't hold the big guy as long, gravity plus weight count against him...his own weight pulled him down....eventually the gooey substance will stretch and the lighter man will also end up on the floor....so the liquids own weight combined with gravity pull determines how quickly the liquid succumbs to the forces....if you leave the bottle upsside down long enough it will empty....the lighter and thinner the liquid left behind the longer it takes...the innitial bulk is a big mass so that moves quickly...

Then you also have to consider another forces, the force that all matter attracts all matter, the detergent is a liquid, so it adheres to another form of itself better than say solid to solid....this other forces also inhibits the speed at which the liquid succumbs to gravity....

I think... Lolol

Out