Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Death Benefits Denied for the Fallen

and-then

I get the whole left right BS that has been going on ad nauseum, ad infinitum but is there NO area, no act that is too much? Think of it a moment. Your son or daughter, niece or grandson is killed and you get the news and then are also told that the insurance benefit that was promised has been delayed indefinitely. You, in many cases, cannot even go to meet the plane that bears your loved one's remains. Possibly you cannot even plan a funeral. Yeah, it's temporary but, REALLY? Is there absolutely NOTHING this administration WON'T do to win a political fight? This makes me so angry I can't even express it. So what do ya'll think about this?

• Like 6

Totally agree except that I think the blame should be shared by both parties.

They both have caused the conditions for these people to suffer.

• Like 5

Yes they both have played a part in bringing this thing to pass. I also realize that in these "games" it seems crucial to them both to not show weakness but I sense that we have gone far down a road where we shouldn't as a nation. It has become spiteful, petty and childish. This president has definitely been a "my way or the highway" type personality since day one. No other president in my lifetime has ever been so dogmatic and unbending with his ideology and approach to leadership. I think he may finally have pushed too far. The last poll I heard referenced was 37% favorable. In a way I kind of admire him - at least, I admire his tenacity. He seems to have concluded that Americans can be pushed a very long way because we've grown fat, lazy and comfortable enough that we will not act unless we PERSONALLY are being attacked. He seems to be right in that assumption. But enough Americans still are conscious of what we owe the men and women - and their survivors - who give their lives for the rest of us that he is going to be seen as having gone too far and showing his pettiness.
  • Like 2

Is there absolutely NOTHING this administration WON'T do to win a political fight?

what you really mean is there nothing that the HOUSE REPUBLICANS will not do to hold the country hostage instead of funding the government and voting for the clean CR they already agreed to. The HOUSE GOP is the issue. Congress cannot be held hostage this way. If you don't like a law, there is a perfectly acceptable process. THIS IS NOT IT.

no again. the democrats agreed to a CR that was lower than the WH wanted and lower than the repubs wanted. The House GOP agreed months before the shutdown. It's part of the negotiation process. Then the GOP lost it's mind. You do NOT work like this.!!

• Like 1

no again. the democrats agreed to a CR that was lower than the WH wanted and lower than the repubs wanted. The House GOP agreed months before the shutdown. It's part of the negotiation process. Then the GOP lost it's mind. You do NOT work like this.!!

Unreasonable? Are you serious dude? These guys have been played and beaten for 5 years by Obama. They've finally been pushed to the point where they seem ready to actually MAKE him do something even if it means nuking what little is left of the economy. And he has grown so arrogant because his "opponents" have by and large remained SANE that he now thinks he doesn't have to give anything at all...EVER. And you know what? If the GOP cave on this then he will be right. If he gets by with this he is unstoppable. He's a half click off being an open damned dictator. He cares nothing for process - he cares about demanding that his agenda be approved completely. Frankly I think it's worth seeing the economy fall off a real cliff if it reigns this powermad bassard in some.
  • Like 1

Unreasonable? Are you serious dude? /// He cares nothing for process -

wow. you have really lost it. Yes unreasonable. You don't shutdown the government to get your way. That is what the Republicans did. Period. They apparently care nothing about the process... If they don't like a law, there is an acceptable method to change it. This is NOT it.

• Like 2

to save time I copied and pasted this post from another discussion but feel it is relevant here as well.

The house is doing exactly what it was designed to do represent the people, the reason the founders gave the house the power of the purse strings is just for a case such as this, the majority of the american people dont want this monstrosity, and the only way to keep it from destroying the economy is to defund it, that is the only constitutional way they can do it. Obama seems to be able to change the law willy nilly without having to go through the process designed to modify laws, but the house representing the people somehow is extortion, absoulutely stupid. I also want everyone to know the only way we can default on the debt is if Obama once again breaks the law, we bring in 225 billion a month in tax revenue the debt is 18 billion a month and by law it has to be paid before anything else can be paid, so the only way we default on the debt is if Obama breaks the law and refuses to pay it, we have the money to pay it without raising the debt limit.

• Like 1

wow. you have really lost it. Yes unreasonable. You don't shutdown the government to get your way. That is what the Republicans did. Period. They apparently care nothing about the process... If they don't like a law, there is an acceptable method to change it. This is NOT it.

Yeah? What about having a president who just IGNORES THE LAWS HE DOESN'T LIKE?
  • Like 1

Try not to blame those that have been thoroughly brainwashed and indoctrinated and then...

He cannot help it... his inability to see the faults within his God...he happily joins with them...and worships at the Alter of the Almighty State...

obama-brownshirts-tpc_zps0a435b85.jpg

Edited by Jeremiah65

I agree that there is a proper legal course to amend or change laws.

However, Obama has acted in accordance and actually solved this issue..

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MILITARY_DEATH_BENEFITS?

Families of fallen troops will be assured of receiving death benefits under legislation President Barack Obama signed Thursday amid a national firestorm after the Pentagon suspended the roughly $100,000 payments during the partial government shutdown.

Obama signed the bill into law after it won final passage in the Senate earlier in the day.

perfectly within the constitution. In fact, it happens at all levels of government - federal state and local. Or didn't you know that?

perfectly within the constitution. In fact, it happens at all levels of government - federal state and local. Or didn't you know that?

No mutation.. I was NOT aware that the chief executive of the US could ignore laws passed by the congress. Silly me, I thought he was the chief law ENFORCEMENT officer.

The States is too dominated by lawyers and their myth that the way to fix every problem is to pass a law. Generally when you do this all you end up with is lawsuits and money into lawyers' pockets.

The case at hand illustrates that government is first of people, with legal constraints generally in the background. To enforce a law against an official who chooses to interpret it wrongly takes time and money and effort, so that as often as not the official gets away with it. That is just a fact and the myth that passing laws solves it is naive. The only solution is in who you chose to hold office.

the reason the founders gave the house the power of the purse strings is just for a case such as this

"All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills."

And why did the founders give the Senate the power to amend said Bill and send it back, if not for a case such as this?

So Obama signs the military death benefits, so I guess the worry on this is over.

Do we praise him for that, or is it only a blame type thing?

• Like 1

Tiggs,

nicely said our government working as it was intended. Nice to see someone in hear knows what they are talking about, I am just so tired of hearing everyone say we are going to default on the debt and that the house was doing something so unprecedented just wanted to make sure everyone knows that this is what it was designed to do. The House is supposed to represent the people and decide if our money is being spent properly of course it rarely works that way. This is not the end of the world I guess is my point just a bunch of idiot politicians slinging mud.

So Obama signs the military death benefits, so I guess the worry on this is over.

If we're going to blame him, I think we should also praise him if we're going to be consistent; at least acknowledge it.

Blame games, chasing down what isn't politically correct to cut (rally the special interest groups!) is exactly the type of thing this is, and it's fermenting on both sides of the aisle, as always. It's a constant, so I just drop it from the equation. Politics --> Meaningless.

Tiggs,

nicely said our government working as it was intended. Nice to see someone in hear knows what they are talking about, I am just so tired of hearing everyone say we are going to default on the debt and that the house was doing something so unprecedented just wanted to make sure everyone knows that this is what it was designed to do. The House is supposed to represent the people and decide if our money is being spent properly of course it rarely works that way. This is not the end of the world I guess is my point just a bunch of idiot politicians slinging mud.

The government would have to reinstate slavery and pay slave labor to pay these bills. It's clear we're going to continue not paying our bills until it is no longer physically possible to do so. This transcends any of our interests or political ideologies. It's amazing we've lasted 100 years under the Fed but the party's coming to an end eventually. The government isn't going to be able to gouge Americans as hard as they're going to need to gouge them. They'll be mass riots in the streets. Terrorists! The chickens are coming home to roost thanks to these unnecessary, counterproductive and wasteful policies we've been putting up with.

If there aren't legal/Constitutional safeguards to prevent these powerful controls over our economy and the resulting abuse of our money, there needs to be.

No mutation.. I was NOT aware that the chief executive of the US could ignore laws passed by the congress. Silly me, I thought he was the chief law ENFORCEMENT officer.

I'm glad I was able to educate.

well you do praise a child for cleaning up their mess, even if you had to tell them to do it.

Let's be polite and assume no one thought about death benefits when locking up the government, so it's good this issue was resolved,