Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Diamond rain may fall on Jupiter and Saturn

UM-Bot

The two largest planets in our solar system may be home to diamond rain and liquid diamond oceans.

The gas giants continue to offer up surprises as it was revealed this week that the conditions on these two worlds are just right to enable entire oceans of liquid diamond to exist.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/256010/diamond-rain-may-fall-on-jupiter-and-saturn

• Like 1

Captain, the dilithium crystals, she can't take any more..

When one considers the immense pressures required to liquify diamond, it makes one realize just how distinct and precious the Earth's environment is to foster the emergence of sentient beings like us.

The two largest planets in our solar system may be home to diamond rain and liquid diamond oceans.

Does Mr Cohen in Antwerp know about this yet?

This must be the planet where the Twilight vampires came from....

• Like 2

I'm not buying this. A liquified diamond crystal is no longer a crystal, rather "liquified" carbon, hence no longer a diamond at that stage.

What's next, ruby lakes and emerald springs?

I'm no scientist, but this just doesn't make any sense at all. Wait... let me grab another beer and perhaps it will. :passifier:

@Pallidin; I'm with you on this one, thinking about the process that creates diamond in the first place, a liquid diamond sea just seems implausible. But then I'm not a scientist..

• Like 1

I'm not buying this. A liquified diamond crystal is no longer a crystal, rather "liquified" carbon, hence no longer a diamond at that stage.

Liquid crystals are a state of matter between an ordinary liquid and a crystal. Despite being liquid the molecules are still orientated in the same way as in a crystal.

Hence this is not "liquified carbon" which would have a totally random molecular orientation.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf

Be nice Waspie... I clearly stated that I am NOT a scientist, thus a clear inference from my entire post is that it is just my opinion.

Jeeze...

Be nice Waspie... I clearly stated that I am NOT a scientist, thus a clear inference from my entire post is that it is just my opinion.

Jeeze...

I actually removed the passage you are referring to BEFORE you posted, however my point was valid. In science not all opinions are equal.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 2

waspies always quick with the spank paddle lol ive learnt to not assume things in posts when waspies around XD

This must be the planet where the Twilight vampires came from....

epic reply

• Like 1

man, nature is consistently more amazing and strange than science fiction.

i do want to read a novel or short story about liquid diamond miners working the seas of jupiter now, though.

What's next, ruby lakes and emerald springs?

I'm no scientist, but this just doesn't make any sense at all. Wait... let me grab another beer and perhaps it will. :passifier:

Well, there is this:

ruby_falls_sign.jpg

• Like 1