Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Spaniards are less productive

Big Bad Voodoo

Everyone in Spain feels jetlagged all the time, even if they haven't been traveling. That is, at least, the finding of a new Spanish parliamentary report on the country’s labor conditions, which concludes that Spain is needlessly crippled by its timezone, which keeps it one hour out of step with the countries around it. After 70 years in its current time zone, the report says, Spain should shift an hour back.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2013/09/26/spaniards-are-less-productive-constantly-tired-because-spain-is-in-the-wrong-time-zone/

Last time I was in Spain I felt totally jet-lagged... oh ya, I was... by like 10 hours. LOL.

• Like 1

oh wow if this is true thats pretty interesting, that sucks though lol

That would suck, I love the long days there. Moving the clock back though isn't going to change the attitude of mañana mañana. The Spanish are laid back, that is part of the beauty of the culture.

Edited by Razer

I think they are believing there is more of a European Unity than there really is... I don't mean politically, but socially... Regardless of how close different regions might "feel" that they are, people still react locally...

Businesses still produce locally... They might ship globally, but the workers live, shop and socialize - locally... If there is a national 'jet lag', it is cultural, not brought on by time zones...

I could see if perhaps they want to be synchronized with their immediate neighbors, time wise, for ease of planning but that is a different issue...

Bring them Spanish into line of the sensible, such as their neighbour Portugal.

The premise the Spanish are less productive because of the time zone they choose to operate in is misleading, or at least the premise exaggerates the time zone's effect on any productivity issue. The Spanish as a people are probably not any less productive because of that, but the Spanish economy might take a hit because what time zone you are in ties directly into the global financial system and so affects things like financial markets.

If the Spanish people are less productive than their neighbours in Europe, it will be largely because of other factors (culture, etc), not time zone.

C'mon! Australia has multiple time zones and we stay productive.

If it wasn't for human rights and amazing labour conditions - we would be an (somewhat albeit) superpower.

edit: ACDT Australian Central Daylight Time UTC + 10:30 hours ACST Australian Central Standard Time UTC + 9:30 hours CXT Christmas Island Time UTC + 7 hours AEDT Australian Eastern Daylight Time UTC + 11 hours AEST Australian Eastern Standard Time UTC + 10 hours LHDT Lord Howe Daylight Time UTC + 11 hours LHST Lord Howe Standard Time UTC + 10:30 hours NFT Norfolk Time UTC + 11:30 hours AWDT Australian Western Daylight Time UTC + 9 hours AWST Australian Western Standard Time UTC + 8 hours

Edited by Timonthy
  • Like 1

I was reading this a couple of weeks ago (in the Spanish National Press)... all I can say is that the whole premise is complete Hogwash!! Other than Portugal, UK, and Switzerland, ALL of Spains main trading partners are on CET.

"La Siesta" is another fallacy that just does not exist in any of the larger corporations, and is completely non - existent in multi-national corporations based in Spain, or with offices there. It only exists for smaller retail, manufacturing, units, which is completely illogical from a small business POV.

Always a big complaint of mine living in Spain, is the Regional and national Govt. dictating when shops are allowed to open (a lot of Roman Catholic Church influence in this state of affairs). If you want to open on a Sunday then you MUST apply for special dispensation. Where is the Laissez Faire here?? SME´s need the freedom to operate when their customers are buying, even huge Retail centres are required to obey opening hours restrictions (Carrefour, El Corte Ingles, LIDL, ALDI, ZARA, Iceland... just a small fraction of International shops forced to close). It has been estimated that allowing these companies complete freedom on the hours they can be open would reduce unemployment in Spain by up to 30%!!!

• Like 1

Always a big complaint of mine living in Spain, is the Regional and national Govt. dictating when shops are allowed to open (a lot of Roman Catholic Church influence in this state of affairs). If you want to open on a Sunday then you MUST apply for special dispensation. Where is the Laissez Faire here?? SME´s need the freedom to operate when their customers are buying, even huge Retail centres are required to obey opening hours restrictions (Carrefour, El Corte Ingles, LIDL, ALDI, ZARA, Iceland... just a small fraction of International shops forced to close). It has been estimated that allowing these companies complete freedom on the hours they can be open would reduce unemployment in Spain by up to 30%!!!

Well this is the case in a lot of European countries. All the ones i have been to at least. There is no 24/7 concept.

And siestas are not non-existent in multi national corporations in Spain btw. You have cities where clothing shops and stuff like that close at noon to about 2 PM. Except Mcdonalcs, that's always open. :lol:

Edited by Render

Well this is the case in a lot of European countries. All the ones i have been to at least. There is no 24/7 concept.

And siestas are not non-existent in multi national corporations in Spain btw. You have cities where clothing shops and stuff like that close at noon to about 2 PM. Except Mcdonalcs, that's always open. :lol:

Sorry, didn´t really explain myself clearly. I was trying to state that the multi-national administrative centres and offices DONT have siestas, but as you correctly point out, their retail outlets (not those in the Centros Comerciales, or shopping centres) in smaller downtown locations do shut up shop from about 2 to 4:30.

Did you also know that it is impossible to get a McDonalds breakfast in Spain? It´s because they wont open early enough !! Incredible...

Anyone living in any Mediterranean country can only be expected to take it easy. If you want to work move to Germany.

• Like 1