Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Your normal "paranormal" experiences

Dodir_Svile

Since there are lots of experiences where people claim they've had something paranormal happen to them and they kind of reject any logical or normal explanation (seems they really want it to be paranormal :yes: ), I've imagined this topic as a place where we could post our experiences where, at first, we thought it was something paranormal, ghostly, demonic, or whatever, but then it turned out to be something totally mundane, or even funny. :D

Maybe it will bring a bit of skepticism and rationalism into other threads, too. :)

So, what happened to me just last week was, I just moved into a new apartment, brought in bags and bags of clothes and everything, ready to start a new life in a new city. :clap: My friend and future roommate came with her girlfriend to give me my keys, to show me around, to help me clean a bit and to have some wine together. :yes: We had a really good time, happy about out future roommate-hood and all the fun we'll have, but it was getting late, so I walked them down the really steep stairs (almost ladder-like, since the apartment is in the attic of a house), we said our good-night's and they left. I closed the heavy metal door to the apartment and started going back up the stairs (creepy music starts now :w00t: ). As I made a first couple of steps, I could hear, very loud and extremely clear - someone breathing in the apartment. :o It was not a faint sound, it was clear, it was loud and I could swear it was definitely someone breathing upstairs. I s.l.o.w.l.y. climbed the stairs expecting something demonic to jump at me from around the corner, even thinking that maybe the neighbor's labrador had climbed inside while we were saying goodbye's (it kinda sounded like panting, although a bit husky). I entered the apartment, turned on all the lights and found absolutely nothing. And I could still hear the rhythmical breathing. :o

Eventually, after exploring the whole place and finding nothing, I opened the door to the staircase again and realized I've turned on the water heater, and when the water was completely warmed up, it made the breathing sound :lol:

It still gets creepy when I hear it, because I'm still not used to the place, even though I know it's the damn heater <_<

I'm waiting for my roommate to move in next week, I don't think I'll tell her that the heater does that and wait for the reaction. :devil:

Edited by Dodir_Svile
  • Like 2

I had just moved into my house which is a victorian mid terraced house and i was sat in my front room all alone when i heard someone running up the stairs (which are in the kitchen). My other half arrived home to find me desperately searching for a new house online and reminded me that it was a terraced house, And that my neighbours stairs were just the other side of the wall to ours and it had been my neighbour running up her stairs, Our house was quite empty at the time so it had sounded very loud. Honestly i hear everything my neighbours do in my blooming house, I've heard much scarier things from next door since then :cry:

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing

A few weeks ago I heard a noise coming from the backyard of my house (I live in the garage) think of in between of a laugh and a hiss but huskier as well, also it was night, pitch black (other than 1 street light and moon light that lights up 10% of the backyard) and the sound seemed to be coming from the back fence that is right near my room. My dogs were in my room at the time and I did not want them leaving at all, as I myself was **** scared of what might be out there (come to think of it, my dogs usually bark at everything, but they didn't even react to the noise). My first thought was something paranormal or maybe a sort of reptile (no clue why i thought reptile, seeing as i live in Eastern Victoria and we rarely have anything other than blue-tongues around). So I shut the door, got them up onto my bed and got on to my chair with my feet off the ground in case it came crawling into my room from under the door.

Done a quick search on the internet only to find out it was just a possum in the tree just outside my door. Now I try to protect it from my dogs (just in case it falls), so I make sure if they want to go out, they go straight into the house and it growls from time to time still but I don't worry as much now. Still freaks me out when it comes out of no where.

Had one happen last weekend. My neighbor & I were talking in the living room when we heard a man briefly whistling. It kinda freaked us out, because we were the only people in the house. My neighbor actually got up and checked the house for intruders, while I looked outside to see if it could have come from neighbors or people walking by, but there wasn't anybody in sight.

It turned out to have come from my friends tablet on the kitchen table; the whistle is an alert of an incoming message.

When I was 13 or 14 (a long time ago) I started to do my own laundry in our basement. After successfully washing a load I transferred it to the dryer, set it on "high" for 45 minutes and went back upstairs to crank my stereo (probably an 8-track!) About an hour later I went back down to get my clothes, and the entire dryer had moved---all on its own!!---about 6 feet across the basement floor!!! I was an impressionable--superstitious--young guy, and was certain this was the notorious Case of the Spectral Dryer. .

Not to worry. Mom and Dad later explained, after I washed the underwear I had been wearing during the "episode," that an unbalanced dryer will walk itself across the floor, just like an unbalanced centrifuge. Usually, said Mom, you hear the shake, rattle and rockin' that the beast makes when out of whack. Well, I had ZZ Top and the volume knob to blame for that. . .

Edited by szentgyorgy
  • Like 2

I have two good ones!:

The first is a UFO sighting. Once at dusk when I was sixteen or so, I went to close my mini-blinds, and stopped when I saw a silver shape hanging in the sky.

My window faced east, and there were no clouds at all, just the shades of deepening twilight. The object was a little bigger than the full moon, and looked like a perfect model of the planet Saturn made of brushed silver, just hanging there. I watched it for about thirty seconds, and it seemed absolutely motionless.

The thing was...I knew there was a small airport a few miles from my house in same the direction my window faced. It wasn't hard to figure out that it was an airplane flying either straight towards or straight away from me, slowly enough that I couldn't distinguish any motion. Still, it looked perfect. I stood there kind of marveling at how much it looked like the perfect double-domed-saucer, and at how strangely beautiful it was.

Then I got bored and went back to reading or whatever. (Hey, I was sixteen).

~~~~

The second one is a ghost story:

(This happened a couple of years before the "UFO sighting," but in a different house.)

I was sitting in my room watching a singer on some awards show or something, when my brother called to me. "[Avallaine]. Come here." He sounded sort of scared.

I got up and went to his room, next door to mine. He was sitting up in his bed and looked wide-eyed. "Listen," he said.

I listened. After a moment or two, I heard it: a faint, chilling sound like someone saying "oooooooooooo..." It wasn't loud, but it was very distinct. It really sounded like a human voice, but there was something "not right" about it.

"No way," I said, though the sound of it gave me instant chills. I remember thinking it couldn't be real, because it sounded too much like a stereotype; I mean, what self-respecting ghost would actually go around saying "Ooooo?" Besides, we'd lived in this house for several years and there'd never been anything weird happening.

But a moment or two later, it came again: "oooooooooooo..."

There was nothing to do but to appeal to a higher authority.

"MOM!"

We ran to our mother and dragged her to my brother's room, telling her we'd heard something and it sounded just like a ghost. She was, of course, skeptical. "There's no such thing as ghosts," she said. (Yes, she actually said that.) We all stood there for a few moments, my brother and I breathless, Mom impatient.

Finally, she shook her head. "I don't hear anyth—"

And then it happened, just as eerie and distinct as before: "oooooooooooo..."

I know it must really have sounded convincing, because her eyes actually widened for a second. Of course, she immediately shook it off. "Oh, there's no way that's real." But her reaction was enough to scare us.

"I'll see if I can hear it from my room!" I said, and ran in. My TV was still on the awards show, where the vocalist was still singing the same musical number:

"...never wanted to love a man...the way that I want to love YOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUU..."

...Yeah.

So, Mom was right and we were wrong. It was the sound of the singer, apparently echoing through the air conditioning grate from my room to my brother's.

But the illusion was still kind of amazing: from his room, you couldn’t hear the sounds from my TV at all, except for that one syllable. Apparently the pitch of just that one word was exactly right to vibrate off the metal ductwork and sound perfectly clear (though echoey and eerie) in the next room, even though nothing else could be heard.

I was just grateful I'd thought of running back to my room when I did. If that musical number had ended before then, we might never have figured it out; which would no doubt have meant some sleepless nights for me and my brother (and Mom, when we camped out in her room...) (Though I imagine, since it wouldn't've happened again, that we'd eventually settle down.)

• Like 1

Since there are lots of experiences where people claim they've had something paranormal happen to them and they kind of reject any logical or normal explanation (seems they really want it to be paranormal :yes: ), I've imagined this topic as a place where we could post our experiences where, at first, we thought it was something paranormal, ghostly, demonic, or whatever, but then it turned out to be something totally mundane, or even funny. :D

Maybe it will bring a bit of skepticism and rationalism into other threads, too. :)

So, what happened to me just last week was, I just moved into a new apartment, brought in bags and bags of clothes and everything, ready to start a new life in a new city. :clap: My friend and future roommate came with her girlfriend to give me my keys, to show me around, to help me clean a bit and to have some wine together. :yes: We had a really good time, happy about out future roommate-hood and all the fun we'll have, but it was getting late, so I walked them down the really steep stairs (almost ladder-like, since the apartment is in the attic of a house), we said our good-night's and they left. I closed the heavy metal door to the apartment and started going back up the stairs (creepy music starts now :w00t: ). As I made a first couple of steps, I could hear, very loud and extremely clear - someone breathing in the apartment. :o It was not a faint sound, it was clear, it was loud and I could swear it was definitely someone breathing upstairs. I s.l.o.w.l.y. climbed the stairs expecting something demonic to jump at me from around the corner, even thinking that maybe the neighbor's labrador had climbed inside while we were saying goodbye's (it kinda sounded like panting, although a bit husky). I entered the apartment, turned on all the lights and found absolutely nothing. And I could still hear the rhythmical breathing. :o

Eventually, after exploring the whole place and finding nothing, I opened the door to the staircase again and realized I've turned on the water heater, and when the water was completely warmed up, it made the breathing sound :lol:

It still gets creepy when I hear it, because I'm still not used to the place, even though I know it's the damn heater <_<

I'm waiting for my roommate to move in next week, I don't think I'll tell her that the heater does that and wait for the reaction. :devil:

ha! that heater was tricky... I enjoyed reading this thread so far. I wish I could share some stories but I never had any paranormal experiences, not even the 'normal' ones lol (I wouldn't want to experience either). The only strange things ever happened to me was seeing creepy creatures in my dreams and nightmares and I'm completely paralyzed & helpless :td:

EDIT: btw, your avatar is quite.... disturbing :o

Edited by crimson089

uhm.... that's not a compliment actually :(

I've had a few of these :)

Where I live now, I sometimes see "snow ghosts". The way the wind blows and that specific area of the yard is set up, sometimes there is an effect produced that looks like a tall white person running for a few yards. Rather unsettled me the first time I looked out my window and saw that, hehee. I've tried taking pictures of this the few times I've seen it happen, but my camera is not suited and the pics turn out blurry and you just can't tell what it is the way you can to the naked eye.

While out camping a few years back, my love and I decided to take a moonlight stroll on one of the horse paths. After a bit we decided to have a sit on a fallen tree that faced onto a clearing. It was a still and lovely night. Then we both noticed a pair of bright greenish yellow glowing eyes across the clearing. They were up a tree a bit, and spaced far enough apart that it would have been a rather large animal. While we were talking about it, the eyes even blinked at us a couple times! Took us a while to figure out what it was- A pair of lights over the pit toilets on the other side of the bit of woods, and it was just the right time of year for the lights to shine through the branches just right. We had no idea that the path we took did a wide circle and ended up behind the pit toilets.

I'm afraid there's noothing Para about my constant sensing of someone in my home other than my unhappy wife n I.There's evil that lurks and its usually comen in thru the front or back door.

• Like 1

This happened to me a couple years ago. I woke up in the middle of the night cold, so I pulled my blankets closer to my head. As soon as I let go, they pulled away from me again. I was still half asleep, so I didn't think much about it, or even opened my eyes; I just pulled my blankets closer again, only to have them pulled away again. Now, starting to wake up fully, I pulled my blankets again and held on to them. I could feel something pulling on them. I opened my eyes and nearly jumped out of my skin when I saw a white figure crouched at the foot of my bed. In my fright I let go of my blankets and got even more scared as it quickly ducked down behind the bed and pulled my blankets with it. I sat in terrified silence for a few seconds before I realized what had really happened.

My bed has two mattresses, with the top one being only a few inches thick. The sheets had gotten caught under the corner of this top mattress and as I pulled them, they pulled the corner of the mattress up as well. The white figure was just the corner of my mattress getting pulled up as I pulled on my sheets. I gave a relieved laugh and pulled the sheets out from under it.

It took me a long time to get back to sleep.

• Like 1

My favorite (which I mention all the time) is the triangular UFO that I and two other amateur astronomers saw coming right at us when we were in total darkness in middle of nowhere trying to take pictures of dim (at the time) comet Hyakutake as it was approaching Earth. We all saw it and we were all convinced that some sort of amazing spacecraft was going to pass right over our heads.

And it was a flock of geese flying north. They got so close we could hear them. Who knew they flew at night? Not us!

We were so convinced that it was a single solid object that we all saw stars "disappear" in the "triangle". Obviously that was an optical illusion.

Also we were so stunned by what we were seeing that none of us bothered to pick up a telescope to get a better look at it. Our main telescope was already taking a long exposure of the comet with our one camera and we didn't want to screw it up. Finding our other telescope which was not set up would have required us to turn on a flashlight and look around on the ground while the "object" approached us. It would have been a waste because it was moving too fast.

After that I understood why people are often convinced they've had an experience with the paranormal when it was actually something normal but outside their experience.

• Like 1

as once wrote by david wong.

"what humans want most of all, is to be right. even if we're being right about our own doom. if we believe there are monsters/ghosts around the next corner, we would literally prefer to be right about it, than shown to be wrong in the eyes of others and made foolish".

• 1 month later...

Awww - okay - I'll do it! Didn't wanna tell it, but I'll do it once more!

A few years back, my then-girlfriend/wife-now and I were returning on cold, late-November evening from a friend's garage/shop. Just as we neared the stop sign at a t-intersection, we both witnessed a silver-colored motorcycle zip past us on the wet pavement at about 55-60 mph. Being as it was wet, slick evening, I commented on his unsafe speed, especially since the posted speed limit was 35 mph. When we pulled up to the stop sign, we looked left and right for traffic. As we were facing north, the cyclist had sped to our left, supposedly entering a small community about a half-mile west. A clear view west showed no wet tire tracks, nor anywhere he might have skidded off the road. Also, just before he zipped past us (we were no more than 60-80 feet from the intersection) he looked directly at us; he was wearing a black leather riding outfit, black helmet with a smoky visor.

After finding no sign of his passage, we continued home, slightly shaken and mystified at this event.

A few days after this, we casually mentioned (how else do you tell someone about an episode like this?) this to two of the guys we had visited a few days earlier. After a few questions and answers, they laughed and mentioned a man they knew that matched that description - but he had died in a motorcycle wreck on a mile east on that very road about three years earlier.

His name and the circumstances of his death aren't of any importance here, but it rather suspended disbelief for a bit in that not just me, nor my wife, witnessed hsi apparition, but that we both witnessed it and recalled specific details about the entire scenario.

Prior to this, and since then, we have, separately and together, witnessed several unusual events, mainly at our rural, remote and secluded home, that includes apparitions and, even more mystifying, faint music. (More on those episodes later.)

I was hiking alone in the mountains and about a few miles in I heard a very low-pitched growl. I stopped, looked around, and saw nothing so kept walking. A few minutes later I heard it again and it sounded like it was right behind me. I turned around with my hand on my pistol and saw nothing. I stood very still for a few minutes to listen and look to see if there was something stalking me and I heard the growl again. It was my stomach LOL!!

As far as something I haven't explained away; getting hit while I'm lying in bed alone! That made the ol' heart go thumpity thump!

@Avallaine: Be happy that the sound was not a brief, resounding, "DOH!" Especially if your fridge has Duff Beer!

As the illustrious John Cleese/Monty Python says, ".......and now for something completely different!"

A number of years ago, I was living with a former girlfriend and her two young sons.

About 8:00 a.m. one morning, I was in the dining room, pressing a pair of trousers before I went to my office at 9:00 a.m. While waiting for the iron to heat up, I was listening to a local radio station faintly playing music in another room while I read my morning paper.

While standing there reading I became aware of a faint scratching noise at the door that lead off the kitchen into a tiny, unused laundry room. It wasn't a big room - about eight-by-four foot large,

Thinking it might perhaps be someone trying the kitchen doorknob to see if it was unlocked, I peeked past the large entryway, but didn't see anyone there. Shrugging it off, I went back to reading. About that time, I noticed the iron was finally hot enough and began pressing my trousers.

A couple of minutes later, I heard the doorknob rattling again.

This time, I quickly set the iron down and raced to the door, flinging it wide open, hoping to catch whomever it was trying to get in the house.

I was both surprised and highly annoyed at this disturbance, and was determined to find the root of it. Among the many reasons for my persistence, the possibility of a ghost haunting gave me a little pause for thought. (After all, it was an old rental home!)

Ten minutes later, another rattle at the door while I was shaving signaled the last straw.

I stormed through dining room, on through the kitchen, flung the glass-paned door open, stepped through the cold, empty laundry room and stood on the steps outside. After glancing around outside for any person(s), I looked for footprints, but not seeing a soul.

Assuring myself of all possibilities, I re-entered the kitchen, shut it behind me and slowly sat down while rehashing the events of the past twenty-five minutes.

Sitting there half-clothed, shaving cream covering most of my lower face, hair uncombed, barefooted, with my back to the door, I next heard a soft footfall scuff against the floorboards.

Quietly easing around until I squatted on the balls of my feet, I slowly raised upward until the top of my head reached the glass partition encasing the upper-half of the back door. I slowly slid upwards expecting to see a burglar, ghost, demon, or whatever-it-was, eerily rattling the doorknob.

Just as my eyes and nose passed the bottom edge of the window, I slowly came face-to-face with a . . . dawg!

He and I perched there, innocently blinking our eyes at each other in shock and surprise for perhaps two seconds, my fingertips pressing the glass moulding, while his paws gently rested against moulding on the other side - both of us nose-to-nose - separated only by a thin pane of glass.

Both sets of our eyes kept widened with astonishment at each other until I finally bellowed, "GET OUTTA HERE YOU STUPID-ASSED DOG!!!"

He yelped in surprised and scooted out of that room as fast as his legs and paws could pedal, while I collapsed against the door, gasping for breath, heartily laughing at both our surprise . . . and my immense relief.

I found out later that the ghost/mutt/burglar, belonged to the girlfriend's youngest boy, who had named the dog after his favorite NFL running back - Emmit (Emmit Smith). Most apropos for the dog because he sure streaked across the backyard and down the alley like he was on fire! Ghost burglar solved!

Friends told me this story.

They went camping in the woods, and they both woke up in the night to a girl groaning.She was crying "Help me", and sobbing.Just then a flash of lightning lit up the tent, and they see each other with their scared look on each other faces.Then the noise stopped, and then they heard "You are listening to college radio".They left the radio on when they went to sleep.