Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysteries of ancient construction

Saru

The ancients knew a technique to dissolve or soften the stone by use of acid plant extracts!

Early explorers even came upon one of the jars containing the rare liquid.

Will look up the story if I can locate it again.

"In one place in his diaries he records a remarkable conversation with another explorer concerning an unusual forest bird that nests in perfect round holes in rock cliffs. The man had actually spent 25 years living in the forests with the local natives and he had this to say:

“They make the holes themselves. I've seen how they do it, many a time. I've watched, I have, and seen the birds come to the cliff with leaves of some sort in their beaks, and cling to the rock like woodpeckers to a tree while they rubbed the leaves in a circular motion over the surface. Then they would fly off, and come back with more leaves, and carry on with the rubbing process. After three or four repetitions they dropped the leaves and started pecking at the place with their sharp beaks, and—here's the marvelous part—they would soon open out a round hole in the

stone...” "'Do you mean to say that the bird's beak can penetrate solid rock?'

“...No, I don't think the bird can get through solid rock. I believe, as everyone who has watched them believes, that those birds know of a leaf with juice that can soften up rock till it's like wet clay.’' "The man continued with a personal story about his nephew. He had walked through the thick bush to a nearby camp to retrieve his horse, which had gone lame and had been left there temporarily. He noticed, when he arrived, that his New Mexican spurs had been eaten away almost completely. The owner of the camp asked him if he had walked through a certain plant about a foot high, with dark reddish leaves. The young man said he had walked through a wide area that was completely covered with such plants.

“'That's it!’ they said, ‘That’s what's eaten your spurs away! That's the stuff the Incas used for shaping stones. The juice will soften rock up till it's like paste. You must show me where you found the plants.' But when they retraced the young man's steps they were unable to locate them.”

There is also an interesting footnote to Fawcett’s story about these birds that lends further credence to the tale. A man who had been a member of the Yale Peruvian Expedition that discovered Machu Pichu in 1911 wrote this strange story in his notes:

“Some years ago, when I was working in the mining camp at Cerro de Pasco (a place 14,000 feet up in the Andes of Central Peru), I went out one Sunday with some other Gringos to visit some old Inca or Pre-Inca graves—to see if we could find anything worth while. We took our grub with us, and, of course, a few bottles of pisco and beer, and a peon—a cholo—to help us dig. Well, we had our lunch when we got to the burial place, and afterwards started to open up some graves that seemed to be untouched. We worked hard, and knocked off every now and then for a drink. I don't drink myself, but the others did, especially one chap who poured too much

pisco into himself and was inclined to be noisy. When we knocked off, all we had found was an earthenware jar of about a quart capacity, and with liquid inside it.

"’I bet its chicha!" said the noisy one. “Let’s try it and see what sort of stuff the Incas drank!" "’Probably poison us if we do." observed another. ’Tell you what, then—let's try in on the peon!"

“’They dug the seal and stopper out of the jar's mouth, sniffed at the contents and called the peon over to them.

"’Take a drink of this chicha," ordered the drunk. The peon took the jar, hesitated, and then with an expression of fear spreading over his face thrust it into the drunk's hands and backed away.

"’No, no, señor," he murmured. "Not that. That's not chicha!" He turned and made off.

“The drunk put the jar down on a flat-topped rock and set off in pursuit. “Come on, boys—catch him!" he yelled. They caught the wretched man, dragged him back, and ordered him to drink the contents of the jar. The peon struggled madly, his eyes popping. There was a bit of a scrimmage, and the jar was knocked over and broken, its contents forming a puddle on top of the rock. Then the peon broke free and took to his heels. “Everyone laughed. It was a huge joke. But the exercise had made them thirsty and they went over to the sack where the beer- bottles lay.

“About ten minutes later I bent over the rock and casually examined the pool of spilled liquid. It was no longer liquid; the whole patch where it had been, and the rock under it, were as soft as wet cement! It was as though the stone had melted, like wax under the influence of heat.”

The head of the Machu Pichu expedition Hiram Bingham also tells a similar tale that was related to him by natives of how the edges of great stones would be rubbed with the juices of a certain plant which would render them like clay to and create a perfect joint.

The possibility of such a plant existing is not at all unreasonable. There are still a myriad of undiscovered species in the Amazon basin. Unfortunately though, due to the rapid rate of deforestation that is occurring there, we may fast be running out of time to find it. Bingham himself never put much faith in the story as he could never conceive of how such enormous stones would have been lifted in the first place for such rubbing of the edges to have taken place, let alone placed it into its position in the wall. Local legends have always insisted the task was done by giants and Bingham himself surmised that such could only be the case Impossible Buildings

The ability to soften stone would certainly go a long way in explaining the unique stonework found in the Mayan structures and before you laugh the thought off as ludicrous, consider that many of the fortresses actually bear some very unusual markings that could easily be explained by tooling the surface while it was still soft. It should also be realized that many of the stones used in these structures are truly immense, some as tall as three meters and virtually impossible to

maneuver into place using any of our our current expertise. And not to forget that some of the stones, like this famous one at Cuzco (fig.64), have up to twelve perfectly fitting angles, and that is just the ones that are visible on the face. Beneath the face, the back and side sections are also perfect, In fact, so perfect that a razor blade cannot fit between the joints and it is the same over Fig.64

the entirety of the wall on every block of stone! Consider that fact when looking at the wall at Sacsayhuaman (fig.65). Apart from it resembling a wall made of grey ‘play dough’ from a distance, such precision is, as yet, impossible using any kind of cutting tool and even if it were possible to cut the stones with such precision, ow on earth would they have then been maneuvered into place? Presumably, if they were hewn and then placed in the walls, the process would also have been repeated many times over for each block for fine adjustments to be made to the angles in order to reach the absolute precision obtained in every block. Such a method is not only implausible but is nothing short of impossible and so it stands to reason that the obvious and somewhat disturbing explanation is that the joining edges, quite simply, were not cut in any

conventional sense. It is known that the stones were in fact quarried and transported to the site for the quarries they came from have been located. But how were they worked to such perfection and then transported to the site which is located 13,000 feet (Four Kilometers) above sea level and how were the joints perfected? When one looks at these Mayan structures they certainly do have the appearance of a wall that is made of clay that has solidified. Again, take the wall at Sacsayhuaman (fig.65); it seems enormously strange, and also highly unlikely, for the builders to have gone to such incredible trouble to make sure the stones fitted together with what is an

absolutely ridiculous degree of perfection, while using the most difficult shapes imaginable, only then to leave the visible face of the wall virtually covered with a myriad of imperfections that makes them look rough and unfinished. Fig.65

To be honest, that is an interesting enough point in itself. But what does an even closer examination of some of these imperfections on the walls produce?"

Source=http://projectavalon.net/forum4/showthread.php?35579-Were-Stones-Softened-To-Build-Peru-s-Ancient-Structures

• Like 1

Hm. That just might be a good explanation for the surfaces which look as though they had been softened , or glazed :w00t: ... as if heated . ?¿?

I'd sure love to see exactly how the builders accomplished the engineering and appearances of those MEGALITHIC polygonal walls.