Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Fear of spider in web prevents postman

Still Waters

Postmen often have to keep an eye out for aggressive dogs while trying to make their deliveries.

But rather than a hound, it was a large spider that stopped letters being delivered to the home of Stuart Robertson-Reed.

http://www.dailymail...-10p-piece.html

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Mentalcase

• libstaK

• Q-C

In defense of the postman he did write "massive spider web" not "massive spider" as the article later states. "According to Mr Roberston-Reed the 'massive spider' was the size of a 10p coin."

Where are photos of the web?

Edited by QuiteContrary

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always gone by the rule of thumb that large web = little or no poison and aggression in the spider. Web making is the preferred method of catching prey in these sorts rather than biting.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always gone by the rule of thumb that large web = little or no poison and aggression in the spider. Web making is the preferred method of catching prey in these sorts rather than biting.

I don't think that is the rule of thumb. I'm no expert though. lol. I know basically every spider, bites their prey after catching it. Whether with a web or by snatching the little buggers. Black Widows make huge webs at times. Brown Recluse Spiders (which I've killed 4 this summer) are usually scavengers or on the hunt. I have yet to see them in a web. I always see them sitting and waiting or on the run. I've seen them fall from a ceiling without a string of web. I wonder... (off to search) ehh spiders..

"He was either spider-friendly and didn't want to break the web"

That was it. He didn't want to spoil all the poor Spide's hard work. We should be pleased that he was so considerate to our many-legged friends.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I've always gone by the rule of thumb that large web = little or no poison and aggression in the spider.

Huge-spider-web.png

kuching-giant-spider-bako.jpg

Honestly, I wouldn't care if it had "liitle or no poison"! :passifier:

• Like 2

If the postman had a bad case of Arachnophobia then just seeing the web I reckon was enough to put him off. As it turned out the spider was harmless and not very big, but the postman wasn't aware of that and his imagination ran wild.