Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anxiety

markdohle

Anxiety

As I age I have learned this about myself. When young I was into control, feeling angry and unwilling to admit that I needed help in any way, or that there anything wrong with me. So there was anger that I had to deal with. Then I learned that underneath that was fear. I did not like that, but I again learned to move against my fear so as not to be constantly drawing back from life. It worked OK, though when I thought I was just angry things were simpler. Now underneath the fear I am starting to find a great deal of anxiety, something I guess that fed both the anger and fear. I really hate being anxious because it makes me feel helpless and out of control. So now as I get 'old' I am dealing with this......I hate it, but it seems that God touches us where we are the weakest. I wonder what is under the anxiety, well I may not live long enough to learn that.....best to keep a sense of humor along with ones faith. For it has been a bumpy ride, but not a boring one.

• Like 2

Anxiety

As I age I have learned this about myself. When young I was into control, feeling angry and unwilling to admit that I needed help in any way, or that there anything wrong with me. So there was anger that I had to deal with. Then I learned that underneath that was fear. I did not like that, but I again learned to move against my fear so as not to be constantly drawing back from life. It worked OK, though when I thought I was just angry things were simpler. Now underneath the fear I am starting to find a great deal of anxiety, something I guess that fed both the anger and fear. I really hate being anxious because it makes me feel helpless and out of control. So now as I get 'old' I am dealing with this......I hate it, but it seems that God touches us where we are the weakest. I wonder what is under the anxiety, well I may not live long enough to learn that.....best to keep a sense of humor along with ones faith. For it has been a bumpy ride, but not a boring one.

It's called careing. People that care are anxious. If one didn't, what would there to be anxious about?

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1

I posted a on another thread the evolutionary theory for anxiety.

I personally have suffered from it in the past, When you begin your spiritual path, or any

spiritual growth for that matter, I think people will start facing this problem. (Fear).

I like what White Crane Feather says too.

Edited by Spiritus Spacium
  • Like 1

I personally have suffered from it in the past, When you begin your spiritual path, or any

spiritual growth for that matter, I think people will start facing this problem. (Fear).

I just had a conversation about this with a friend. We think what many people call anxiety is actually fear, as you said. Once it's properly identified then we can take it out and look at it, discover what's driving it and find strategies to cope.

• Like 1

At times it's hard to take an introspective trip and to analyze yourself.

Some times anxiety is the product of being afraid of what you might see.

Could it be some vestige of regret and memory in the back of your mind that you are afraid of seeing?

Or is anxiety a product of being afraid to move forward beyond what you know?

• Like 1

It's called careing. People that care are anxious. If one didn't, what would there to be anxious about?

Interesting ;-), thank you my friend, you always come through with something good.

peace

mark

At times it's hard to take an introspective trip and to analyze yourself.

Some times anxiety is the product of being afraid of what you might see.

Could it be some vestige of regret and memory in the back of your mind that you are afraid of seeing?

Or is anxiety a product of being afraid to move forward beyond what you know?

Some of both most likely, also I may never get to the bottom of it, perhaps it is just part of life, one of the goads that keep me seeking and moving.

peace

mark

I just had a conversation about this with a friend. We think what many people call anxiety is actually fear, as you said. Once it's properly identified then we can take it out and look at it, discover what's driving it and find strategies to cope.

Sometimes this is very true, for fear is about 'something', anxiety is perhaps deeper, even at the level of our own mortality and how little control we have over it.

peace

mark

Yes, contrary to what many think, the life of seeking God and a deep inner life is not an escape.

peace

mark

It is kind of mainstream that anxiety stems from fear. Its a reaction from our preservation instinct. Fight or Flight. In anxiety´s case would be Flight.

It is also common theory of it being transmitted genetically. Here you can see the depth it gets too.

Sometimes this is very true, for fear is about 'something', anxiety is perhaps deeper, even at the level of our own mortality and how little control we have over it.

peace

mark

Yes, contrary to what many think, the life of seeking God and a deep inner life is not an escape.

peace

mark

Here's where our perspectives differ. I see anxiety an outward manifestation of our fears, sort of the flotsam & jetsam on the surface where there's some sharks circling deeper.

Interesting ;-), thank you my friend, you always come through with something good.

peace

mark

Some of both most likely, also I may never get to the bottom of it, perhaps it is just part of life, one of the goads that keep me seeking and moving.

peace

mark

I like quote by Danish Theological-Existentialist, Kierkegaard..

"Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom."

• Like 1

I like quote by Danish Theological-Existentialist, Kierkegaard..

"Anxiety is the dizziness of freedom."

I am going to have to read him.

Peace

Mark

I am going to have to read him.

Peace

Mark

He was a Christian, so many of his writings had to deal with God.

However, he is regarded widely as the first Existentialist writer.

He dealt with topics like sin, love, and despair.

I highly vouch for his work.

Curious read. I suffer from clinical anxiety, so perhaps I can offer something to this conversation.

Anxiety is presented in many forms, and degrees of intensity or disability.

Some types of anxiety is quite normal and healthy. Other types are not. Some anxiety disorders are very temporary, other's transient, and still other's permanent.

Some types of anxiety are purely "emotional", such as crying and becoming temporarily depressed from the loss of, say, a loved pet, not enough money to pay the month's bills, etc.. That's called "situational" anxiety and is not considered a clinical disorder at all.

Situational anxiety on an extreme level, though still "emotional", is profoundly clinically significant and PTSD is such a case.

Biological anxiety is different. It can occur from genetics or substance abuse(especially solvents), or an accidental over-exposure to solvents and other chemicals that can damage the nervous system. Both can make one much more prone to "attacks"

A key component of the anxiety response, as mentioned here by a previous commentor, is the activation of the "Fight-or-Flight" response. In truth, it should be re-labled as the "Fight or Freeze or Flight" response.

With all certainty, some people "freeze" in a perceived situation, unable to properly think or move. They neither fight or flight.

As a real example, my wife was going up a ladder on a tall roof to help me do some work. I was already on the roof.

She made it all the way until 2 more ladder rungs, and got so scared she "frooze", huging the ladder.

I said to her, OK, honey, either go up or down. She COULD NOT do either. It took me a good 10-minutes to calm her and she got on the roof.

Having said that(sorry for the long winded comments) you can see how incredibly complex this is, yet is getting better understood.

I want to say much more on this whole issue, but I think I've said enough for now.

• Like 1

Curious read. I suffer from clinical anxiety, so perhaps I can offer something to this conversation.

Anxiety is presented in many forms, and degrees of intensity or disability.

Some types of anxiety is quite normal and healthy. Other types are not. Some anxiety disorders are very temporary, other's transient, and still other's permanent.

Some types of anxiety are purely "emotional", such as crying and becoming temporarily depressed from the loss of, say, a loved pet, not enough money to pay the month's bills, etc.. That's called "situational" anxiety and is not considered a clinical disorder at all.

Situational anxiety on an extreme level, though still "emotional", is profoundly clinically significant and PTSD is such a case.

Biological anxiety is different. It can occur from genetics or substance abuse(especially solvents), or an accidental over-exposure to solvents and other chemicals that can damage the nervous system. Both can make one much more prone to "attacks"

A key component of the anxiety response, as mentioned here by a previous commentor, is the activation of the "Fight-or-Flight" response. In truth, it should be re-labled as the "Fight or Freeze or Flight" response.

With all certainty, some people "freeze" in a perceived situation, unable to properly think or move. They neither fight or flight.

As a real example, my wife was going up a ladder on a tall roof to help me do some work. I was already on the roof.

She made it all the way until 2 more ladder rungs, and got so scared she "frooze", huging the ladder.

I said to her, OK, honey, either go up or down. She COULD NOT do either. It took me a good 10-minutes to calm her and she got on the roof.

Having said that(sorry for the long winded comments) you can see how incredibly complex this is, yet is getting better understood.

I want to say much more on this whole issue, but I think I've said enough for now.

Thank you very much, well said.

Peace

Mark

• Like 1