Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Human Supersenses May Become a Reality

Still Waters

The ability to see using one's back, magnetic fingers or an ultraviolet sense of sight?

Those abilities may sound like the domain of X-Men mutants, but such innovations may not be far off, researchers say.

http://www.livescien...per-senses.html

Human supersense, so you can smell when someone farted mile away

• Like 2

I love the 'Plug and play' mentality attached to the article.

Plug and play can let you down in the gadget world, could produce some interesting results with the human brain though.

I will let the mice try it first. ;)

"new perceptions such as the ability to sense magnetic fields, an improved sense of smell, the ability to see in ultra-violet and much more."

Not a little more, or "just" more. MUCH more. First of all I want to see a detailed inventory of that MUCH more. Because it mentioned seeing UV, which is still only seeing, even when you see from radio all the way to gamma. Heightened sense of smell is still just smell, and hearing under 20hz and beyond 20k is still just hearing. One thing that was mentioned was magnetic field. But what is that "much more"?

I tend to disagree with the notion of the brain not caring about input. There is an eon of evolution that argues it does make a difference. Certainly the brain is capable of a degree of reprogramming but much of this is compensatory such as relearning motor control following a stroke. I might argue that we could be doing a lot in developing a heightened awareness of existing functions such as being more cognizant of pheromones, low frequency sound, etc. But, I suspect many of us tend to obviate these "super" functions because of our environments ... who wants to have an enhanced sense of smell or hearing when living in a smog ridden noisy city?

Is being able to see through someones' bull**** a super sense? If so, then I have definitely got that one.

• Like 1

"We are no longer a natural species in the sense that we don't have to wait for Mother Nature's sensory gifts on her timescales..."

This I can believe, but should we wait is the question I propose...

Why cash in a bond before it has reached its full maturity?

Give mankind an opportunity to mess something up and they will...

Maybe 99 out of 100 humans that let a Doc. play with their brain chemistry will end up with powers "like mine (Just J/King)"...

But, thinking about being the one who ended up a veggie...

Thats enough to make me give in and let GOD!

... who wants to have an enhanced sense of smell or hearing when living in a smog ridden noisy city?

That seems kinda backwards somehow, here let me re-phrase it: who wants to have an enhanced sense of smell or hearing when living live in a smog ridden noisy city?

Is the reason you are trying to improve mankind's senses.. ie sense of smell.. is it because you don't have one? How are you going to improve the sense of smell Pray tell. The surprise of walking into a room and having my nostrils open further is a response that I look forward to doing. Now you're going to sidestep nature's own source and improve on it? Why not add one of your plug and play ideas and leave the senses alone.

• 1 month later...

Personally, if i had Super powers, i would serve myself and myself only, i mean i wont rob banks.

like if i had Super Speed, i would use like 1% of it to beat others in running compitions and win price money, :P

or teleportationg, ok i mighta rob a bank or two.

I want Mind reading powers!

No wait, crap, Invisibility was what I meant......