Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amelia Earhart Plane Search to Resume

Still Waters

The search for Amelia Earhart's long-lost aircraft will resume next year in the waters off Nikumaroro, an uninhabited island in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati where the legendary pilot may have died as a castaway.

Starting about the middle of August 2014, the 30-day expedition will be carried out by The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), which has long been investigating the last, fateful flight taken by Earhart 76 years ago.

http://news.discover...year-131011.htm

• Like 1

Hope this time they bring equipment that can go deep enough to get clear images of whatever they last inspected on the ocean floor.

Sadly, I agree with you, Lex. Didn't they find a finger bone that they thought was hers? And the woman's shoe, the cream jar and the broken mirror? That may be the only evidence they ever find.

• Like 1

Yeah, after 76 years, perhaps the broken, corroded plane could be found. But, if they made it to shore as "castaways" I doubt much of any human remains are to be easily found.

On second thought, I can only presume that the last survivor would have attempted a burial of sorts for whomever died first. Any above ground grave markings, though, would likely have been erased or washed away in time.

So maybe they will find out what happened this time i hope so, no matter there end would not have been a pleasent one dieing of thirst or stavation is not a nice way to go

I know; they would have been lucky if they drowned compared to finally finding an island and dying the way it is surmised that they did.

I thought they had already found the plane, but had not done an archeological study of it?

Seems I recall they thought they found the plane, but it's in the ocean. If memory serves this new expedition is to check to see if it is her plane.

Personally, I never bought into the stories of her being captured by the Japanese. Just sounded a little too dramatic to be true to me.

There is no hard evidence. A native woman claimed to have seen the Japanese execute a "white woman". And that was forty or so year after it happened.....making it just a little dubious. Could be she did see the the Japanese execute a white woman, the Japanese used to force captured white women to provide "comfort" to the officers and men, if they didn't then they were killed to serve as an example to the others in their service. The story was never verified and nothing about her being captured ever appeared in their wartime records.

There was actually quite a few more than "one witness". And when you consider the other evidence available (flight course, plane wreckage,etc) it's pretty obvious what really happened. The Japanese themselves have all but admited it!

There was actually quite a few more than "one witness". And when you consider the other evidence available (flight course, plane wreckage,etc) it's pretty obvious what really happened. The Japanese themselves have all but admited it!

so why have you not provided these people the information you have? what proof?

The plan on the sea bed maybe her plane or a zero

I think we need to laud our explorers and adventurers. They embody some of the most appealing characteristics of humans, inspiring us to the unknown and unproven. Perhaps this might the most compelling reason to move forward with the exploration of the universe. We grow.

Money raised,money spent,Book deals,Money is the main reason,Exploration the second,and The Truth the Last ! Sad but true !

This is awesome. I hope they find the plane, or what's left of it. It would be great to finally know for sure what happened to her...

The search for Amelia Earhart's long-lost aircraft will resume next year in the waters off Nikumaroro, an uninhabited island in the southwestern Pacific republic of Kiribati where the legendary pilot may have died as a castaway.

Starting about the middle of August 2014, the 30-day expedition will be carried out by The International Group for Historic Aircraft Recovery (TIGHAR), which has long been investigating the last, fateful flight taken by Earhart 76 years ago.

http://news.discover...year-131011.htm

Oh goody. TIGHAR conned somebody else into giving them more $$ because "they are so close".

Who wants to bet that next summer they'll release some inconclusive photo of an underwater formation and claim that it's a wing tank or piece of landing gear. They'll then lament that they only need one more expedition to prove it all.....cha ching.

Here's all you need to know about TIGHAR and the final resting place of the plane:

http://skeptoid.com/episodes/4295

Edited by Rafterman
  • Like 2

This is pretty much a needle in a hay stack job, but good luck!

Glad to see this piece of aviation heritage has not been completely abandoned, and (as difficult as the challenge may be) there are still people willing to dedicate themselves to the search. Good luck and safe journey's to you all.