Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

why UFO's are requiring lights

qxcontinuum

Just wondering....numerous reports worldwide indicates the existence of lights or flashing lights , rotating lights ...etc...

Well i would say lights , flashy lights, etc are used in aviation across the globe..but why the heck an interstellar traveling vessel would require lights ?

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 3

Guess they need lights, petrol and probably a licence like we do on Earth.

• Like 1

a ) the skeptical-pessimistic answer is: because UFOs are just stuff people make up in their heads.

b ) the pseudoscience-believers answer is: it's their propulsion systems interfering with our atmosphere.

the answer, as always, lies somewhere in the middle. But i need to emphasize that i find it more likely it lies much closer to a)....

EDIT: them bloody typos

Edited by Jacques Terreur
  • Like 1

do our space shuttles have lights, and if so why?

edit: same problem as JT

Edited by quillius
  • Like 3

do our space shuttles have lights, and if so why?

edit: same problem as JT

Yes they do, only because they need to follow international avialtion rules.

There is a. reason of this post; all the ufo's with lights are military or civil aviation devices.

If the light pulsates or if having the same size as the object, then yes , it's a great indication of higher speeds specific to highly technological flying device frictioning with Earths atmosphere, but when smaller lights, flashy , rotating ,etc, unfortunately not really ufo's.

Edited by qxcontinuum

Yes they do, only because they need to follow international avialtion rules.

and these rules apply on route to the moon, for instance?

• Like 2

and these rules apply on route to the moon, for instance?

yes they do, so that UFO enthusiasts can claim sightings...

• Like 2

yes they do, so that UFO enthusiasts can claim sightings...

interesting.....I wonder how many reports there are of lights near the moon.

plus I guess if one was to somehow spot a light from a shuttle it could still be legitimate to claim it as a UFO.......unless of course someone was able to identify it as a shuttle.

• Like 1

Obviously because when they fly in formation they don't crash into each other.

• Like 2

Obviously because when they fly in formation they don't crash into each other.

Can I laugh on this?

I am assuming interstellar space travelers flying in formation will need more than just visual orientation... :-)

• Like 1

There is a. reason of this post; all the ufo's with lights are military or civil aviation devices.

I think as a basic rule, you can say that anything with a flashing strobe above or below, white lights facing forward and (and this, surely, is the giveaway), red and green lights at the wingtips, then that is going to be a terrestrial Aircraft. But what, though, the lights don't conform to those? It's no good just saying "if it's got lights, then it's obviously an Aircraft" (perhaps that handy all-purpose standby, the Secret Military Aircraft), a lot of the configurations that are reported aren't standard aircraft lights. So what can we make of those?

As to what would they (hypothetical extraterrestrial spacecraft) need lights for, perhaps they're not lights for identifying themselves or navigation lights' what if they're a byproduct of the means they use to fly? What if it's a result of, say, ionizing the air (since we almost always see them in the atmosphere). Like the afterburner on a Jet.

• Like 2

Lack of navigational lights[edit]

The Space Shuttle Orbiter did not carry anti-collision lights, navigational lights, or landing lights, as the Orbiter always landed in areas that had been specially cleared by both the Federal Aviation Administrationand the Air Force. The Orbiter nearly always landed at either Edwards Air Force Base (California) or near to the Patrick Air Force Base (Florida), although one mission – STS-3 – landed at the White Sands Space Harbor in New Mexico. Similar special clearances (no-fly zones) were also in effect at potential emergency landing sites, such as in Spain and in West Africa during all launches.

When an Orbiter landing was carried out at night, the runway was always strongly illuminated with light from floodlights and spotlights on the ground, making landing lights on the Orbiter unnecessary and also an unneeded spaceflight weight load. A total of 26 landings took place at night, the first being STS-8 in September 1983.[10]

From here

Space shuttle doesn't even require lights and yet those wacky aliens seem to need lights.

From here

Space shuttle doesn't even require lights and yet those wacky aliens seem to need lights.

cool good to know...this is exactly my point...why would they?

wait i think I know; because the flashy UFo's are nothing but planes mistakenly ID

To see where they're going, duh.

why UFO's are requiring lights

but why the heck an interstellar traveling vessel would require lights ?

:rolleyes:

Jeez, guys of all genders or lack thereof, do I have to tell you everything? ET loves to pimp out his boats (Contrary to popular belief, what's spotted in atmosphere are ship's boats not the ships themselves.) with lights and doohickeys and thingamabobs and whatzits and all kinds of other Really Cool Stuff. It's kind of a game with them to see who can out do who and gets really interesting when several races arrive at the same time. That's when they start showing off their flying skills or, in a few cases, lack of flying skills which in turn results in wrecked vehicles and the occasional dead ET.

The government goes out to collect the wrecks, not to study but to grab the Really Cool Stuff which is why you see some enlisted and the occasional officer who doesn't mind shedding a bit of dignity with highly unique pimpage on their vehicles. The crew, living or dead, is returned to the appropriate mothership via our own vehicles but using boats on loan for that purpose among others.

I really shouldn't have to explain all this to you. Do your homework next time!

• Like 1

Jeez, guys of all genders or lack thereof, do I have to tell you everything? ET loves to pimp out his boats (Contrary to popular belief, what's spotted in atmosphere are ship's boats not the ships themselves.) with lights and doohickeys and thingamabobs and whatzits and all kinds of other Really Cool Stuff. It's kind of a game with them to see who can out do who and gets really interesting when several races arrive at the same time. That's when they start showing off their flying skills or, in a few cases, lack of flying skills which in turn results in wrecked vehicles and the occasional dead ET.

The government goes out to collect the wrecks, not to study but to grab the Really Cool Stuff which is why you see some enlisted and the occasional officer who doesn't mind shedding a bit of dignity with highly unique pimpage on their vehicles. The crew, living or dead, is returned to the appropriate mothership via our own vehicles but using boats on loan for that purpose among others.

I really shouldn't have to explain all this to you. Do your homework next time!

LOL nice ...what was the name of this movie?

Just wondering....numerous reports worldwide indicates the existence of lights or flashing lights , rotating lights ...etc...

Well i would say lights , flashy lights, etc are used in aviation across the globe..but why the heck an interstellar traveling vessel would require lights ?

Boy I do like that question. Must give it some thought. One thing I must query though; we don't actually know if they are interstellar. We don't know where they are from.

I think as a basic rule, you can say that anything with a flashing strobe above or below, white lights facing forward and (and this, surely, is the giveaway), red and green lights at the wingtips, then that is going to be a terrestrial Aircraft. But what, though, the lights don't conform to those? It's no good just saying "if it's got lights, then it's obviously an Aircraft" (perhaps that handy all-purpose standby, the Secret Military Aircraft), a lot of the configurations that are reported aren't standard aircraft lights. So what can we make of those?

As to what would they (hypothetical extraterrestrial spacecraft) need lights for, perhaps they're not lights for identifying themselves or navigation lights' what if they're a byproduct of the means they use to fly? What if it's a result of, say, ionizing the air (since we almost always see them in the atmosphere). Like the afterburner on a Jet.

So your saying it could be a residual process; that makes a lot of sense.