Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

3D printing to enter the metal age

UM-Bot

An ambitious new project aims to use 3D printing technology to produce objects made out of metal.

The ability to produce physical three-dimensional objects on demand from a printing device promises to revolutionize manufacturing processes in a variety of different industries. Low cost 3D printers are even set to make their way in to people\'s homes as the technology improves and prices come down.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/256236/3d-printing-to-enter-the-metal-age

3D metal printing has already been happening. Some of it quite seriously too. There's even already a home bot for metal- it made it's debut at the New York Maker Faire this year.

Well 3D printed guns don't work, but I'm sure 3D printed metal ones will. Just what the world needs

Edited by paperdyer
  • Like 1

Well 3D printed guns don't work, but I'm sure 3D printed metal ones will. Just what the world needs

Well yes, it could be used for that. There are a handful of metal printing companies out there. It can also be used for this... http://www.gizmag.com/3d-printed-rocket-seds/29306/ 3D printed rocket :tu:

The bot article was condensed badly I think. If you click the source to the BBC link, it's a much better and fuller story.

Stupid reporter, metal 3D printing has been around for years, some even have gigantic ones and those made for the amateurs are now 3rd gen...

I agree. It's a shame gunpowder aint metal though.

• 2 weeks later...

Am I the only one who laughed when they read "Jarvis"?

Whatever it is right now, or is not not, does not matter. 3D printing will revolutionise the global manufacturing industry just as the Industrial Age did about 100 years ago. And a bit further ahead biological 'spare parts' will be available too.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...