Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

That's a BIG Fish!

Arbenol

This gives you some perspective in regards to the many giants still hiding out there.

Oarfish have always been very large, and i guess is the culprit for many sea monster sightings

• Like 1

Damn! one more reason to not swim in the ocean!

are they dangerous

By all accounts they are a pretty passive fish, have never heard of a oarfish attack. They mainly feed on plankton and small crustaceans, so I would assume they would be more of flighter than a fighter.

http://www.seasky.org/deep-sea/oarfish.html

Awww, so sad. Seems the only time they come near shore (or people) is when they are dying. They must not be good to eat, or they would all be gone now.

• Like 2

Sorry why are tested samples? Its an oarfish, if they do not know that then they are not really marine scientist.

If on the other hand they are testing how it died and human waste poisoning shows up, hope they tell us.

The reason they are called oarfish is because once they died and developed rigormortis, the sailors in times past used them as "oars"

Just kidding. Bad joke, I know.

Sorry why are tested samples? Its an oarfish, if they do not know that then they are not really marine scientist.

If on the other hand they are testing how it died and human waste poisoning shows up, hope they tell us.

I didn't see anything about testing samples but if they are, it's probably to run tests on the DNA.

These fish are rare. It's possible that it could be a different individual species of the fish than any previously known.

Harte

I didn't see anything about testing samples but if they are, it's probably to run tests on the DNA.

These fish are rare. It's possible that it could be a different individual species of the fish than any previously known.

Harte

Its in the article. The fish is rare to us, but it is known to exist....albeit this one now.

Its in the article. The fish is rare to us, but it is known to exist....albeit this one now.

Yes, just like the 9 different species (many of which look almost exactly alike) of carp are known to exist in the US alone.

The fact that oarfish are known to exist doesn't mean that this is not a new species of oarfish. Especially given the rarity of this sort of fish.

There are four known species, one of which is the giant one.

Maybe there's two giant species.

Harte

are they dangerous

I tend smaller fish are more dangerous than bigger fish

are they dangerous

No worries, they feed on plankton, not swimmers, and the live at depths of half a mile or so, they only come near the surface when dying or dead. They is a recent YouTube video of one alive in the deep ocean, very cool animal!