Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Arbenol

Urinal Dynamics

8 posts in this topic

Great to see that some scientists are actually working on problems that impact the real world.

http://meetings.aps....13/Event/202554

In response to harsh and repeated criticisms from our mothers and several failed relationships with women, we present the splash dynamics of a simulated human male urine stream impacting rigid and free surfaces. Our study aims to reduce undesired splashing that may result from lavatory usage. Experiments are performed at a pressure and flow rate that would be expected from healthy male subjects.\footnote{Lapides, J., Fundamentals of Urology, W.B. Saunders, Philadelphia, 1976.} For a rigid surface, the effects of stream breakup and surface impact angle on lateral and vertical droplet ejection distances are measured using high-speed photography and image processing. For free surface impact, the effects of velocity and fluid depth on droplet ejection distances are measured. Guided by our results, techniques for splash reduction are proposed.

No more returning from pub toilets with a map of Africa on your jeans.

5 people like this

Oh my. This seems to be the yang to my yin post about poo pourri

Edited by Simbi Laveau
3 people like this

Oh my. This seems to be the yang to my yin post about poo pourri

Thanks. I'll have to check that out.

1 person likes this

I'm not sure about the "physics" of splash but I've always heard that if one shakes it more than once they're playing with it.

4 people like this

How did this info leak out? Although the researchers may be real whizzes, their findings seem a wee bit trivial. I'll have to see my old friend john about this. Gotta go now. . . .

2 people like this

How did this info leak out? Although the researchers may be real whizzes, their findings seem a wee bit trivial. I'll have to see my old friend john about this. Gotta go now. . . .

PUNS!!! You're hurting my brain! Lol!

1 person likes this

I always thought the sign: We aim to please, You aim too please ~ had taken care of that little problem...guess not.

5 people like this

I always thought the sign: We aim to please, You aim too please ~ had taken care of that little problem...guess not.

The version I saw was: "We aim to keep the toilets clean, you aim will help."