Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Quick question?

White Crane Feather

I don't feel like researching it, so I was hoping someone already knows. Why do some skeptics totally doubt the existence of Jesus the man but not the existence of Siddartha. Is there a real reason based on historical facts?

Edited by White Crane Feather

That is quite simple, Siddhartha exists as a historical record, we know when he was born, who his parents were who his wife was and that he had a son from sources outside Buddhism... now whether he had a inspiration or it was just something that fell on his head while sitting under the Boddha is debatable.

• Like 2

*cynical answer* Because people don't see Buddhism as being a danger and a menace, so they're not so eager to deny its legitimacy, like they're very keen to do with Christianity.

• Like 1

Some Muslims in Myanmar consider Buddhists a menace. I don't think any religion is without some degree of tolerance, or even outright violence.

• Like 1

Some Muslims in Myanmar consider Buddhists a menace. I don't think any religion is without some degree of tolerance, or even outright violence.

Did you mean intolerance?

Edited by Child of Bast
  • Like 1

I don't feel like researching it, so I was hoping someone already knows. Why do some skeptics totally doubt the existence of Jesus the man but not the existence of Siddartha. Is there a real reason based on historical facts?

Probably because somewhere along the timeline, Jesus became magical and eventually morphed into god himself.

Did you mean intolerance?

Thanks, Child!---that's what I meant (while I hope the other is true as well). Take care.

That is quite simple, Siddhartha exists as a historical record, we know when he was born, who his parents were who his wife was and that he had a son from sources outside Buddhism... now whether he had a inspiration or it was just something that fell on his head while sitting under the Boddha is debatable.

Ahhh yes. Is there some sort of objective book on this. I would like to know more.

Jesus was documented historically by both Christians and muslims.

I don't believe either Christians or Muslims existed at the time of Jesus.

• Like 4

I don't believe either Christians or Muslims existed at the time of Jesus.

Jesus started Christianity and it began as a Jewish sect in the first century. Consequently Islamic religion started having Jesus as prophet instead of the son of God

The problem with a lot of these figures (Abraham, Moses, David, Jesus, etc.) is that there is nothing except the Bible to say they existed, and the Bible is not dependable, having been written by believers way after the fact and therefore only recording myths they though were true.

Much the same can be said about the Buddha, except his record is not the Bible but several hundred other books -- in fact thousands -- that really aren't that much more believable.

• Like 3

So once again I have to ask, why do people who don't believe that Jesus ever existed and consequently don't follow his teachings because they don't believe there ever were any so keen to mock this non-existent character? Why is it so important to them? it's just completely illogical. Is it that they feel that it's their duty to mock and demean Christianity at every opportunity?

• Like 3

So once again I have to ask, why do people who don't believe that Jesus ever existed and consequently don't follow his teachings because they don't believe there ever were any so keen to mock this non-existent character? Why is it so important to them? it's just completely illogical. Is it that they feel that it's their duty to mock and demean Christianity at every opportunity?

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I think you are posting in reference to my post. I am not mocking anyone, Christian or not. I also, never state my stand on Jesus' existence one way or another.

It is a fact that his story has morphed and changed throughout history.

Jesus started Christianity and it began as a Jewish sect in the first century. Consequently Islamic religion started having Jesus as prophet instead of the son of God

You said he was "documented historically" by both Christians and Muslims. If you mean that they did so centuries after the time he lived - I'll agree. But your argument is stronger with references that are contemporary with Jesus.

Obviously this is impossible for Muslims. None existed until many centuries later. So, I think we can discount those as evidence for Jesus' existence.

Thank you. This is what I tried to say as well. It feels almost like they have a determinate goal in doing so. Must be something in their genes.

And lady... I am not against any religion or people. I am however against other ppl that are blatantly not missing any opportunity to laugh about this other ppl. And their believes.. Since I am a free thinker yes I can build up fictional scenarios based on true life visual experiences, reflecting to where reality is standing.

Back to the subject

What fact ? Where did you draw these conclusions from? Who had determined this "fact".

Edited by qxcontinuum

Thank you. This is what I tried to say as well. It feels almost like they have a determinate goal in doing so. Must be something in their genes.

And lady... I am not against any religion or people. I am however against other ppl that are blatantly not missing any opportunity to laugh about this other ppl. And their believes.. Since I am a free thinker yes I can build up fictional scenarios based on true life visual experiences, reflecting to where reality is standing.

ONCE AGAIN, I didn't make fun of or laugh about Christianity. My statement was about how Christianity has been translated thousands of times and the figure, Jesus, has been morphed. This is not "mocking" "laughing at" or making fun in anyway. IT IS THE TRUTH.

• Like 1

Back to the subject

What fact ? Where did you draw these conclusions from? Who had determined this "fact".

The fact is, there are so many renditions of Christianity, Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist, Seventh Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witnesses etc, because there is disagreement on the reality of the religion; None agree on how to believe. That is your proof.

How many different translations of the bible are there? Do you know? I have lost count.

ONCE AGAIN, I didn't make fun of or laugh about Christianity. My statement was about how Christianity has been translated thousands of times and the figure, Jesus, has been morphed. This is not "mocking" "laughing at" or making fun in anyway. IT IS THE TRUTH.

But since Christianity is based on existence of Jesus whom you are saying was "morphed" you are saying in fact that the entire religion is based upon a lie. And under what power can you say It is the truth?

According to whom ? It is true only for yourself obviously.! When you make such claims you must bring in evidence .

It is not mocking or demeaning Christianity to say it is false; that is just to tell the truth. Those who think this is demeaning it are being defensive. I think the reason I tend to do it "at every opportunity" is because of the way Christians tend to do the same at every opportunity.
  • Like 3

The fact is, there are so many renditions of Christianity, Catholic, Baptist, Pentecostal, Methodist, Seventh Day Adventist, Jehovah's Witnesses etc, because there is disagreement on the reality of the religion; None agree on how to believe. That is your proof.

How many different translations of the bible are there? Do you know? I have lost count.

There are no major differences at all. In fact there all harmonized quite accurately with only minor differences. Same is in other religions as well. The bible has different translations in time but never lost its messages, in fact each phrase stays the same but the words are bit different due to language grammatical evolution.

Edited by qxcontinuum

But since Christianity is based on existence of Jesus whom you are saying was "morphed" you are saying in fact that the entire religion is based upon a lie. And under what power can you say It is the truth?

No. I am saying exactly what I put. That translations have changed what was originally said about the man. I don't say anything about the entire religion being real or based upon a lie. How the **** would I know if he really existed? I wasn't there.

According to whom ? It is true only for yourself obviously.! When you make such claims you must bring in evidence .

I don't know what you are referring to here.

There are no major differences at all. In fact there all harmonized quite accurately with only minor differences. Same is in other religions as well. The bible has different translations in time but never lost its messages, in fact each phrase stays the same but the words are bit different due to language grammatical evolution.

Ahh I see. So, you've explained it very clearly now. Now, I understand that Jesus the Christ is real, different sects of Christians don't matter, because it's all the same religion based on Jesus and Jewish people are money and power hungry.

Thanks. I am enlightened. You are obviously right about everything.

• Like 2

Don't you think you must study first more something you don't understand or even reject just to be able to construct a true defence? You are not giving me anything else but what you personally believe, which is ok , but when you post online a simply No or denial cannot be accepted for the sake of argument. in order to prove a point will need arbitrary profs , studies, documentation etc.... Just saying it is the truth speaking of Jesus life as a big lie is nothing really. By contrary his life was recently discovered in Israel., Jews were well known for keeping accurate writing records which helped constructing the New Testament and the life of Jesus. There are millions of messianic Jews as well due to those writings and It all started 2000 years consequently with his existence.

To say it's a story or not reality is like saying dinosaurs never existed

Edited by qxcontinuum

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I think you are posting in reference to my post. I am not mocking anyone, Christian or not. I also, never state my stand on Jesus' existence one way or another.

it wasn't you I was specifically talking about, please do not be offended. It was primarily someone else.

• Like 1