Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Waspie_Dwarf

Did Huge Impact Lead to Cambrian Explosion?

4 posts in this topic

Did a Huge Impact Lead to the Cambrian Explosion?

Could a large impact in the deep ocean have produced some of the most enigmatic features in our Earth's history? According to Grant Young, a geologist at the University of Western Ontario, the answer may be yes.

About 570 million years ago, our Earth underwent a series of puzzling events: a drastic shift in climatic zones, a mysterious change in the carbon cycle, and a sudden burst of animal life that led to the Cambrian explosion.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
1 person likes this

Sorry to be a pain, but your quote isn't from the article.

Sorry to be a pain, but your quote isn't from the article.

Thank you, it's fixed now.

I am hardly able to comment on this since the idea is so new to me, but it does raise a speculation in my mind. Might this have something to do with the thought that technologies in the universe may be rare because multi-cellular life is rare and it is rare because a combination of a frozen planet followed by such an unusual event is needed? I hope someone out there can make sense of my syntax. Of course I don't expect an answer except maybe one that says I'm overreaching.