Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ghosts that appear on mirrors? possible?

LostSouls7

Well when i was young my aun't house was said to be haunted.

Well my young cousin at the time used to tell me scary stories about their house

growing up. About the ghosts and spirits that haunted it.

WEll one story was about a ghost that appeared to her in the bathroom.

And no it was not bloody marry. It was like a male with a spooky face.

Are mirror ghosts who appear common?

and I am not talking bloody mary or Candyman here.

Mirrors reflect light, so if someone has at least a decent metaphor involving ghosts and light reflection, it would be a start.

Do we mean ghosts that are only seen in the mirror, or which can be seen normally but also are seen in the mirror? if it's the former, then I think I'd say that it's almost certainly a metaphor or allegory of some kind, Mirrors often are. Like windows into other worlds. They were used a lot for scrying back in the old days, of course.

• Like 1

Are we ruling out Blody Mary then?

I'd be interested to see the study that shows how painting silver on a piece of glass somehow makes it magical.

There is some lore out there about spirits showing up in reflections. Like in a mirror, or on picture glass, or looking over ones shoulder in the still surface of water. There's lore out there about spirits being in those objects too, seeing them through the glass or water rather than reflected on the surface of it.

There is also lore about spirits and glass like covering the mirrors after a death so the departed soul does not get trapped, that reflective surfaces like mirrors are portals of a sort, that a mirror reflects the soul...

• Like 1

Well yes no bloody mary.... she looked in the mirror...

then she saw a male face appear.. in place of hers...

and no it was not her own reflection...

this was any years ago...

she no longer lives in that house...

There is some lore out there about spirits showing up in reflections. Like in a mirror, or on picture glass, or looking over ones shoulder in the still surface of water. There's lore out there about spirits being in those objects too, seeing them through the glass or water rather than reflected on the surface of it.

There is also lore about spirits and glass like covering the mirrors after a death so the departed soul does not get trapped, that reflective surfaces like mirrors are portals of a sort, that a mirror reflects the soul...

I have hope that maybe on day our species will evolve beyond the need to embrace such lore and the general silliness of the paranormal. But I'm not counting on it.

I have hope that maybe on day our species will evolve beyond the need to embrace such lore and the general silliness of the paranormal. But I'm not counting on it.

I don't think it's so silly, as much as you don't understand the deep rooted metaphor and symbolism in the lore. Sometimes it takes a story like that to have people see real issues in a light they never did before.

• Like 1

I think the supernatural spirit world exists...

however I don't always think it's wise

to play with it...

Mirrors freak me out (not just cause of my own countenance staring back) but that's mostly due to the peculiar sensation of a room being a lot deeper than you can understand no matter which angle you have the mirror located in. You'll never know every corner of the room when there's a mirror in there. Also the surface thing is a killer for projection of the imagination. I don't believe ghosts can be 'inside' a mirror or exclusively choose to show themselves via that route, it would display severe intelligence and awareness, perhaps in more 'active' hauntings though I've never heard of such a happening.

I do think there can be haunting/attachment to furniture/objects with significant value to a deceased person and mirrors of course can be linked here. An interesting inquiry would be whether ghost manifestations have reflections, I doubt you could get one to hang around long enough to hold a mirror up such is their diffident and fleeting nature. Will have to look around for any experiences with a mirror that was nearby.

• Like 1