Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is the North Pacific dying.

Professor T

Article.

http://www.theherald...cean-is-broken/

The next leg of the long voyage was from Osaka to San Francisco and for most of that trip the desolation was tinged with nauseous horror and a degree of fear.

"After we left Japan, it felt as if the ocean itself was dead," Macfadyen said.

"We hardly saw any living things. We saw one whale, sort of rolling helplessly on the surface with what looked like a big tumour on its head. It was pretty sickening.

My thoughts.. :( & that's is only the pollution seen on the surface.. The bigger dangers are the unseen ones..

Edited by Still Waters
Reduced amount of copied text
  • Like 4

That's terrible. Someone ought to do something about this... You can't just let this garbage continue and let the ocean die :(

• Like 1

That's terrible. Someone ought to do something about this... You can't just let this garbage continue and let the ocean die :(

But what can you do about billions of tons of floating tsunami debris?

See??! I told you people! This #*$%#% Planet is trying to kill us all! Save the Planet? The Planet is trying its damndest to kill us!

Pollution? No life in the Pacific...and this is somehow Man's fault? How about we pass a law that says the freaking Planet can't do tsunamis anymore....yeah, let's legislate the Planet into obedience!

• Like 2

See??! I told you people! This #*$%#% Planet is trying to kill us all! Save the Planet? The Planet is trying its damndest to kill us!

Pollution? No life in the Pacific...and this is somehow Man's fault? How about we pass a law that says the freaking Planet can't do tsunamis anymore....yeah, let's legislate the Planet into obedience!

You are joking, no?

If the planet wanted to kill us all it would need do is set off a few super-volcanoes. No, we are killing the life on the planet. It's an old story but next time we won't have anywhere to move.

• Like 2

If the planet wanted to kill us all it would need do is set off a few super-volcanoes. No, we are killing the life on the planet. It's an old story but next time we won't have anywhere to move.

Man lives next to oceans and an Eartquake/tsunami happens and washes it all out to the ocean. I can see, somewhat (if I've gathered it correctly), Joc's point of view. Is this a natural, unnatural or a combination of the two type of disaster?

I still stand with my original position of, "Oh crap."

There are two giant garbage patches in the north pacific.. The Western patch, and the Eastern patch..

The Tsunami debris hasn't even reached either of these garbage patches yet, so you can't really blame that natural disaster for this.

The western patch is about the size of Texas.

Oceanic currents naturally converge floating debris into these patches. If the flotsam was natural dead wood and natural biodegradable things it wouldn't be a problem. However, most of it is plastic.. And let's not forget, that you can now add the effects of Radiation to this man-made-mess. micro-particles of this particulate toxic mess is already in the food supply.

Rather than staying in a homogenous mass, the debris, with the action of waves, ocean currents and sunlight, starts to break down into smaller and smaller particles and adds to what was already a serious pollution in the North Pacific Ocean sometimes known as the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. But the North Pacific Garbage Patch isn’t like the local garbage dump. It’s an area of ocean which contains high concentrations of plastics, chemical sludge and other debris, trapped by North Pacific currents.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image
  • Like 1

This is the way the world ends, not with bang, but with a whimper..

T.S Elliot..

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 1

The someones are us.

The Pacific is paying for our conveniences..

When I go shopping I don't carry a bag into the store, but carry sometimes a dozen plastic bags out of it that end up in the recycling bin. Industry and commerce has as big a part in this mess as we do. Packaging is always bigger than the goods and appliances we conveniently buy. And not all of it is recycled.

Our lives are too short. One generation passes to the next a world that is slightly sicker than it was and it's taken a over a century of conveniences to realize it. We should be forced to live 300 years or more so that everyone ends up wallowing in the mess of out own creation instead of passing it on to another generation.

lol.

It's us that will be legislated into obedience.. or oblivion.

The planet is not trying to kill us, but Humans are killing the planet,unless we realise this the Human race is Doomed,there maybe a few survivors left by the year 3000.

The planet is not trying to kill us, but Humans are killing the planet,unless we realise this the Human race is Doomed,there maybe a few survivors left by the year 3000.

I think if we make it that far we will be fine; the critical time is going to be 2100-2300.

I think if we make it that far we will be fine; the critical time is going to be 2100-2300.

Hi Frank,why have you picked out those particular dates,apart from world wide disasters ie:- nuclear,asteroids etc,

Humanity is choking the life out of these huge bodies of water all around us, and without living oceans, everything will die. The dead spaces on the ocean floor are getting bigger all the time.

You are joking, no?

Hey, no! It was the Planet who caused the tsunami. It was the Planet who therefore 'polluted' the 'living waters'. Do you think the Planet gives a damn whether or not it has life on it? Obviously it does. Look man, you have to think like the Planet here, okay? The Planet sees itself as the laughing stock of the entire Solar System. Every other Planet is doing really cool stuff...like...Enormous Hurricanes of Methane that just go on forever. Earth? Phftt! This Planet has been trying to shake itself of Life ever since Life appeared. We are not killing the Planet...the Planet is killing us.

You seem to see life as a kind of infection. I suppose in a way it is, but I rather suspect after a few billion years of trying to shake it off the planet must be resigned to it by now.

Is all this literal to you or a metaphor?

I'm just thinking like a Planet.

The truth is...Life creates Death in order to exist. Without Death, Life cannot exist. And the Planet is trying to kill you. It must. Do you think 8 billion people is a good thing? The more the merrier? When Humans begin to threaten the Planet...the Planet will kill off the Humans. We aren't killing the Planet...we are killing ourselves. The Planet is purging.

Actually I think the planet could comfortably sustain (with a living standard better than now) a population several times greater. It isn't going to happen, though. Demographic trends predict at most a doubling by the end of this century and then steady drop.

My feeling is that if the Earth is a conscious sort of thing, that it's rather pleased that we are here, making it unique. As far as geoplanetary events go, we may tickle it a little here and there but otherwise don't have much effect.

All things die; the Earth's death, when it happens, will be caused by the sun, not by anything we do.

• Like 1