Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Purring monkey and vegetarian piranha

Still Waters

A purring monkey, a vegetarian piranha and a flame-patterned lizard are among more than 400 new species of animals and plants that have been discovered in the past four years in the Amazon rainforest, conservationists say.

http://www.theguardi...-amazon-species

• Like 2

Amazing how many different species we are just discovering and more we will probably never discover.

I'd love to see those monkeys. They sound so cute! I'm curious if they act like cats in any ways more than that, though...

What a shame. Things can't be discovered as quickly as they are destroyed in that part of the world. I did a web search on the monkeys. The look cute, but I bet they have quite a bite as well as the purr.

Great :tu:

I'm no hard-core environmentalist, but it seems clear to me that there is a great deal yet to be discovered, perhaps GREATLY benefiting mankind, yet the continual deforestation is making this harder and harder.

Perhaps the World can have one less war, and instead put those monies towards rainforest preservation and supplying the indigenous with their needs.

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

This is amazing. But I agree with Pallidin. If they keep finding so many new species, think about how many we must have already destroyed.

• Like 1

This is amazing. But I agree with Pallidin. If they keep finding so many new species, think about how many we must have already destroyed.

That surely is a sad fact...

• Like 1

NIce, but a vegetarian piranha is not so unusual, the pacu is a common aquarium fish that is basically just that. And several true piranha will also eat seeds and fruit as part of their diet.

Yep Pacu's and Silver Dollar's etc are all Characins similar to a Piranha, but they are not actually 'Piranha', just closely related cousins, would be interesting if they found a Pygocentrus species that was a veggie (only veggie, Piranhas eat a fair amount of fruit and veg themselves).

Also a Pacu would happily and easily bite off your finger and eat it given the chance when adult lol so not strictly Veggie.

Edited by GS1981