Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

BBC 'shelves' Panorama exposé of Comic Relief

itsnotoutthere

"The planned broadcast of a Panorama investigation into Comic Relief has reportedly been cancelled after a string of BBC executives ruled themselves out of making decisions about it.

The documentary is understood to examine how the charity allegedly invested £150 million of its funds for up to eight years, before handing the money to the causes for which it had been raised.

Some of the money was allegedly invested in tobacco firms and an arms company.

By the end of last year, the charity was allegedly sitting on £261million in a mixture of shares, bonds and cash.

The six-month investigation also explores how staffing costs at Comic Relief have allegedly almost doubled from £7.1million a year in 2008 to £13.5 million by 2012."

Link :- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvandradio/bbc/10393457/BBC-shelves-Panorama-expose-of-Comic-Relief.html

And remember folks keep paying that T.V. licence or we'll put you in prison.

• Like 7

The only thing which confuses me about the article is why use the word "allegedly"

Nothing surprises me anymore, The only charity I will gladly give money to is the RSPCA. The rest can sod off.

Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing

Nothing surprises me anymore, The only charity I will gladly give money to is the RSPCA. The rest can sod off.

All charities invest their emergency funds in something as just having them in a bank costs money, does not get anything.

All charities invest their emergency funds in something as just having them in a bank costs money, does not get anything.

Never suggested otherwise. Its what they invest in that bothers me. Hey, Lets try to ease human suffering by investing in something that will cause more human suffering.

Never suggested otherwise. Its what they invest in that bothers me. Hey, Lets try to ease human suffering by investing in something that will cause more human suffering.

If they had to wait until they collected the money with every emergency they might as well not do anything at all. The money is needed then and not 6 months later. And the only way to do that is to have money somewhere. And there are two ways of having money: In a current account (costs money) or in an investment account (brings money). I am in favor of brings money.

Good for you, And charity is a wonderful thing. And this way, We can create even more charitable causes, Woo. Just count me (and a few others i know) out. Having worked for a (small) charity myself for the past 7 years, I know how uncaring they can be. Not to mention wasteful.

Not surprising at all. It is foolish to believe that anything other than a tiny proportion of money donated actually goes to the cause it is being raised for. Charities have highly paid directors, senior mangers, regional mangers just like any other business.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

In the news again!!

How Comic Relief invests millions in arms, tobacco and alcohol: Panorama expose also reveals charity is sitting on £100m and will not say how money is spent

* Charity invests cash in controversial firms to fund £17m running costs

* Documentary was shelved for two months by nervous BBC execs

* Charity is 'risking reputation', says ethical investment expert

* But Comic Relief says 'ethical screening' would 'increase financial risk'

http://www.dailymail...l#ixzz2n3TYFnni

and

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-25273024

This can be viewed TONIGHT on UK TV, or afterwards on BBCi player here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03nkp7s/Panorama_All_in_a_Good_Cause/

Edited by seeder
  • Like 1

Well Comic Relief is dead then i guess

I for one wont be sorry NOT to see it all the damned evening on TV !! Yeh but its a shoddy practice for a charity isnt it? Think of all that interest they can keep

• Like 2

Next I would like to see the complete sheets showing CR´s management wages including company cars and travel expenses. :devil:

• Like 4

If youre in the UK its another hour till its shown on BBC1

• Like 1

I for one wont be sorry NOT to see it all the damned evening on TV !! Yeh but its a shoddy practice for a charity isnt it? Think of all that interest they can keep

Nothing like a good old-fashioned 'Bore-athon' to get to you bed early on a Friday evening!