Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cry Baby Bridge

TheVeryFirstDinosaur

On the old highway 601, adjacent to the 40 Acre Rock natural park.

Urban legend behind the place:

The story about Cry Baby Creek Bridge is that a young mother and her baby were traveling home on Highway 601 late at night. She was excited to see her husband who had been away at war. He would be arriving home the next day. She had not seen him in years. In her excitement over their reunion, she went over the bridge at Flat Creek too fast and she and her baby were thrown from the vehicle. Though she could hear the infant crying, she couldn’t find it. Eventually, the crying stopped completely.

Source: http://www.hauntin.g...ted-States_9677

Took photos, but too blurry/dark to really make out anything besides faint parts of the bridge. Can upload if anyone actually cares.

Party of 4. All freaked out at sound of faint whines from within the woods. Happened twice. Brushed off as a bobcat the first time. Second time, was...bothersome. My father told me about this place, and I thought the crying was just a joke. Still, I'm a skeptic. Probably a bobcat. But, everyone who has ever been there say its a bobcat.

Edited by Saru
Added source link to text and image
  • Like 1

I'd go with the bobcat conclusion.

So imaginative and based off of actually experiencing it.

I've often wondered why crybaby bridges are so popular. Do you know if there's any historical backbone for this one Shrine?

I've often wondered why crybaby bridges are so popular. Do you know if there's any historical backbone for this one Shrine?

http://strangetalespodcast.wordpress.com/2007/05/28/the-real-crybaby-creek-bridge/

I just figured, hey, since apparently the most legit one is like 15 minutes from my house...

Last I checked, cars in the 1940s had both doors and roofs on them. Not to mention, it looks pretty flat to me.

How exactly would one get "thrown from the car" by taking the "bridge a little too fast".

Sounds like typical UL stuff to me.

While door and roofs were on vehicles not all doors lock properly, remember this was the days before seat belts. A friend of mine told me about growing up in the 60's and his mother had taken him to the store with her. There was a steep curve on their way home and the door didn't lock/close properly he was thrown from the car and his mom didn't even notice until two blocks later. Thankfully he wasn't hurt and she was super apologetic when she found him.

Mabon.

While door and roofs were on vehicles not all doors lock properly, remember this was the days before seat belts. A friend of mine told me about growing up in the 60's and his mother had taken him to the store with her. There was a steep curve on their way home and the door didn't lock/close properly he was thrown from the car and his mom didn't even notice until two blocks later. Thankfully he wasn't hurt and she was super apologetic when she found him.

Mabon.

Do you see a "steep curve" in that photo?

Disregarding the skeptics who so expectantly leech onto any given personal situation or object, and get off by attempting to dry it of any "beyond the pale" or prospective qualities, of course using their pseudo-intellectual to their heart's desire...

Urban legend, or not. The place is eerie. It's been known to have a negative energy for years upon years. My father and the fathers of my friends feared the place, and admitted to hearing whining. We heard the whining.

Before disregarding it as "typical UL stuff", realize you have in no way been in any proximity to the location, know nothing at all about the facts surrounding the place, as does anyone. Of course, I'll look into personal and state records.

I posted this for interest from any party on here, but not to have the validity of a history that I never stated that I even believed to be challenged by someone who knows nothing about it.

Thank you : )

I may return tonight, hopefully with a better camera.

Before disregarding it as "typical UL stuff", realize you have in no way been in any proximity to the location, know nothing at all about the facts surrounding the place, as does anyone. Of course, I'll look into personal and state records.

Thank you : )

I would argue that the reason no ones knows nothing about the facts is that there aren't any.

There appear to be dozens of "crybaby bridge" legends around the country.

http://en.wikipedia..../Crybaby_Bridge

You'll note the one listed for South Carolina is near Clemson and nowhere near the one you're posting about. Makes you wonder how many there are in SC alone. By the way, your own link pretty much debunks the thing as a "typical" urban legend.

Oh, and by the way, I have been 40 Acre Rock natural park. I have several family members who live in Camden.

A word of advice, it's important to understand the differences between challenging a story and challenging a person. I realize that many in the internet generation have a hard time understanding that.

Enjoy your spooky place.

Edited by Rafterman

I really wouldn't use Wikipedia as a source for a small town's history, and I never accused anyone of challenged a person, lol.

Also, you live in Upstate...referring to SC?

Do you see a "steep curve" in that photo?

I can't really see to much of the road but I can see that the bridge is straight and from the photo it's hard to determine what the road leading up to the bridge is like. Besides we don't know what the weather conditions were at the time of the the accident, it could have been raining which caused the car to hydroplane and the door opened or the same thing happened if the road was graveled at the time (you can skid on gravel that is differently packed, I've done it). Don't know was just offering how a someone could have been thrown from a moving vehicle with door and roof. It still happens in this day and age too so being thrown from isn't far fetched..

Mabon.

• Like 1

Pretty groovy story honestly, these local legends are why I joined the site in the first place.

One question about the area itself, the bridge, I assume, goes over a river. Or is it just bridging a gap?

Pretty groovy story honestly, these local legends are why I joined the site in the first place.

One question about the area itself, the bridge, I assume, goes over a river. Or is it just bridging a gap?

Large creek.

I can't really see to much of the road but I can see that the bridge is straight and from the photo it's hard to determine what the road leading up to the bridge is like. Besides we don't know what the weather conditions were at the time of the the accident, it could have been raining which caused the car to hydroplane and the door opened or the same thing happened if the road was graveled at the time (you can skid on gravel that is differently packed, I've done it). Don't know was just offering how a someone could have been thrown from a moving vehicle with door and roof. It still happens in this day and age too so being thrown from isn't far fetched..

Mabon.

In regards to this, I have no photos of the road before it hits the bridge. I'll take some. There is a pretty large curve right before it.

• Like 1

I really wouldn't use Wikipedia as a source for a small town's history, and I never accused anyone of challenged a person, lol.

Also, you live in Upstate...referring to SC?

New York.

And to the contrary, Wiki is a good source for initial looks into things like this, if for nothing else than knowing that it's a fairly common story repeated in many places - i.e. urban legend.

Mabon.

In my experience ULs fall apart at the very basic levels. I do find it far fetched the scenario as described could actually happen on that bridge.

Large creek.

Logic would lead to then, the sounds being animals.

as the bridge looks largely unused, it stands to reason animals would use the overhang as a form of shelter, and the supply of water a good place to stay, foxes, bobcats, etc. doesnt take away from it being a good ghost story.

• Like 1

There was another bridge just like this but instead of the baby it was only the mother. People would drive over the bridge and there car would just stop functioning. WEIRD :passifier: