Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Police shoot 63 year old

green_dude777

They couldn't have tasered her, or knocked her out or something?

• Like 3

both could of killed her, she could have heart problems or something

i doubt it, she was 63 and had been using drugs and alcohol, and still had strenght to destroy the house. she would have survived taser, but cops may not have it. not all cops have tasers.

• Like 1

both could of killed her, she could have heart problems or something

I wonder then, based on your logic being displayed, why even have tasers?

i doubt it, she was 63 and had been using drugs and alcohol, and still had strenght to destroy the house. she would have survived taser, but cops may not have it. not all cops have tasers.

This is true, not all police carry tasers. I just wonder why dispatch didn't send over someone with less lethal means available, considering it was called in.

I wonder then, based on your logic being displayed, why even have tasers?

Tasers are to stop people instantly and then restrain them, they are safer than guns 9/10. But also knocking someone down could kill them

Tasers are to stop people instantly and then restrain them, they are safer than guns 9/10. But also knocking someone down could kill them

I'm well aware what they are for. Your statement implied that using a taser or gun is interchangeable, since being tased can result in death. I was trying to get you to see the flaw in your statement.

I'll bet every cop in that state has a taser in the car.

Poor lady obviously had some serious issues.

Cops have really hard choices to make. I'm glad I'm not faced with such decisions on a regular basis.

• Like 2

I'll bet every cop in that state has a taser in the car.

I can't confirm or deny that statement, but I would think a police department that has been actively trying to disarm the civilians in their jurisdiction would have non lethal means of dealing with those without a gun. Maybe that's a bad assumption.

• Like 2

Poor lady obviously had some serious issues.

Cops have really hard choices to make. I'm glad I'm not faced with such decisions on a regular basis.

You're right, in general, they do. I don't consider this one that hard of a choice. There's all kinds of things that could have been used instead of a firearm, especially since they knew the situation they were responding to.

LAPD, NYPD, Chicago PD, and Boston PD rarely will have my sympathies. Those departments literally are the cliche of bullies or thugs with badges.

• Like 1

You're right, in general, they do. I don't consider this one that hard of a choice. There's all kinds of things that could have been used instead of a firearm, especially since they knew the situation they were responding to.

LAPD, NYPD, Chicago PD, and Boston PD rarely will have my sympathies. Those departments literally are the cliche of bullies or thugs with badges.

I do tend to agree (not sure about the major city cops) but in general, and with the amount of money that Police forces are getting, you'd think more reliable non-lethal choices would be available.

I suppose it would depend on each situation, but would'nt you think a shotgun blast with rubber pellets would be enough to knock down a drunk old lady? Or at least get her to drop the knife.

Instead of buying tanks for some of these departments, how about real non-lethal take down methods?

• Like 4

so what would happen if she turned the knife on herself? would that be harder? you need to have a quick descion

so what would happen if she turned the knife on herself? would that be harder? you need to have a quick descion

What? Are you suggesting that shooting her was necessary if she turned the knife on herself?

• Like 1

she was not suicidal. didn't seem at least, or she'd quietly slit her wrists.

What? Are you suggesting that shooting her was necessary if she turned the knife on herself?

yea i didn't get this pioint either.

"don't cut your veins or we'll shot you" lol

no i said it would be difficult, i didn't say shoot, they will need to calm her down

Edited by The New Richard Nixon

she was not suicidal. didn't seem at least, or she'd quietly slit her wrists.

yea i didn't get this pioint either.

"don't cut your veins or we'll shot you" lol

If she was

THis is anotherone where I'm going to side with the police. Shes got a deadly weapon, not responding to commands, its a sh*tty situation to be sure, but it stopped the problem.

• Like 1

I don't necessarily like that I usually side with the police - but I do. Why? These reports have scanty detail and the victim's behaviour is amongst the scantiest of details, if more was presented I may feel different but on surface evidence it comes down to this - The police are men and women with families and loved ones whose first priority is to get home safely from their day at work to those who are waiting for them. You face a police officer with a weapon and refuse to disarm on their command - you will be shot, it's the safest alternative for all involved/in the immediate vacinity, who did not choose to be faced with a weapon in the first place aka: everyone but the perp.

Give me something that refutes the police' right to self defense and preservation of innocent by-standers life and I will step up and feel differently.

• Like 1

Life is getting cheaper by the day.

People are just more stressed, El. Cops aren't superhuman and they want to live too. Sure, some of them are in the wrong line of work but most seem to have a handle on trying to do the right thing. This woman was mentally ill, sounds like, and a taser might have been the best choice -THAT is the question I'd be demanding an answer to. Why aren't non-lethal means available routinely so that when it's possible (like here) the option is there for more than shooting someone.
  • Like 2

No , they like to kill. You ain't a real police w/ a a few kills under your belt

• Like 1