Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can democracy deliver for Africa?

Commander CMG

Multiparty democracy swept across Africa in the early 1990s, as single-party states and authoritarian leaders bowed to pressure from outside and within. Activists hoped greater political freedoms and strong institutions would lead to more government accountability - and more effective development. But two decades later, is this the reality?

arrow3.gifView: Read more

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Commander CMG

• Peter B

• spud the mackem

Popular Days

The reality is that the guys with the most guns reign supreme and get all the kudos,and this aint gonna change.

• Like 1

Interesting article, thanks for posting.

I've long considered Botswana to be an example of western democracy working in Africa, with both wealth and political power more fairly distributed than in most other African countries. However the map in the article suggested it's a flawed democracy in the same class as South Africa. I'm certainly no expert on Botswana, so I'm content (sadly) to bow to the authors' greater expertise.

Additionally, while I like to think that democracy is a style of government which all countries should aspire to, I also recognise that Asian countries which developed fastest in the 1960s and 1970s, like Taiwan, Singapore and South Korea, put development first and democracy second.