Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New dolphin species discovered in Australia

UM-Bot

An international research team has identified a previously undiscovered species of humpback dolphin.

The humpback dolphins, so-named due to their conspicuous hump and dorsal fin, were once believed to be split between two species. Now however researchers believe that there are at least four individual species of humpback dolphin in the world\'s oceans.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/257125/new-dolphin-species-discovered-in-australia

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UM-Bot

• moonshadow60

• Sundew

• Emeraldgemheart

Top Posters In This Topic

Shouldn't this article have come out on Wednesday?

But seriously, it does make one wonder what else may be hiding undetected in the world's oceans.

EXACTLY! I mean, people diss the idea of new species, then this happens!

They are beautiful! I hope people leave them alone.

EXACTLY! I mean, people diss the idea of new species, then this happens!

Really? People diss the idea of new species? I see news about "new" species several times every year here on UM, so i dont think anyone here have doubts, that there are more undiscovered species out there.

Recently there was one about some new species discovered in australia.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=256937

Hate to ruin anybody's joyous celebrations here, but there are no new species here. They didn't materialize from thin air, they've been around for quite a while, we've probably even seen them or even interacted with them. It's only that some individuals haven't yet stuck them in one of their categories yet, as they like to do. They feel they need to categorize everything and then stick labels on them. Not that the dolphins care, they still enjoy their free lives and their sexual acts, without feeling the need of creating systems of artificial mental constructs. Funny how intelligence is measured, or the fact that it is at all measured. By us, humans, that is.

So, are we seeing parallels to humanity. Does the recognition of this new species and its potential demise reflect similar evolutionary parallels to that of Neanderthal and that of Modern Man where DNA differs by some 0.3%.

Hate to ruin anybody's joyous celebrations here, but there are no new species here. They didn't materialize from thin air, they've been around for quite a while, we've probably even seen them or even interacted with them. It's only that some individuals haven't yet stuck them in one of their categories yet, as they like to do. They feel they need to categorize everything and then stick labels on them. Not that the dolphins care, they still enjoy their free lives and their sexual acts, without feeling the need of creating systems of artificial mental constructs. Funny how intelligence is measured, or the fact that it is at all measured. By us, humans, that is.

Yes, obviously. I don't think anyone here thought this new species, or any other, just appeared.

How do you know dolphins don't feel the need of create a system?