Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ignore function

seeder

Ok Ive been setting up an ignore in respect of a certain member. So, I entered their name, clicked the box to 'ignore posts', saved, then went back to the forums and I still see their posts. I thought (maybe) I wouldn't see their posts by doing this? Or have I misunderstood something? Or done something incorrectly? Cheers for now

I dunno; I've never tried it. I'm sure eventually someone will answer your question. In the meantime, it is easy enough to just not read an ignoree's posts, why go to the trouble? In the past I've found that doing this just confuses me when people refer to things I haven't seen.

• Like 2

Do you see them just on the forum itself, or in threads ?

They are hidden in threads, but you click on them if you want.

it also doesn't stop them from posting on your status updates.

On the forum, if theyve posted, you should see their name, but nothing more.

Go back and make sure you checked everything.

When you ignore someone, there are numerous things to check off

Do you see them just on the forum itself, or in threads ?

They are hidden in threads, but you click on them if you want.

it also doesn't stop them from posting on your status updates.

On the forum, if theyve posted, you should see their name, but nothing more.

Go back and make sure you checked everything.

When you ignore someone, there are numerous things to check off

OK cheers, and no I didnt check all the boxes, just 'posts' so will have a play around

Cheers

• Like 1

This is what you should see under Manage Ignore Pref's - down the bottom is where you would set up a new one. Does yours look like that? I have just three folks on my list - no clues required as to one of them... I'm not sure what the 'signature' option does...

post-95887-0-90664800-1383364777_thumb.j

If you have set it up right, then you will just see single lines instead of posts, so you will see that they posted and also have the option of opening individual posts in case you wish to torture yourself...

Let me know if you have problems - it seems to work fine for me.

• Like 3

This is what you should see under Manage Ignore Pref's - down the bottom is where you would set up a new one. Does yours look like that? I have just three folks on my list - no clues required as to one of them... I'm not sure what the 'signature' option does...

post-95887-0-90664800-1383364777_thumb.j

If you have set it up right, then you will just see single lines instead of posts, so you will see that they posted and also have the option of opening individual posts in case you wish to torture yourself...

Let me know if you have problems - it seems to work fine for me.

Cheers mate :tu:

• Like 1

ChrLzs's remarks lead me to believe this may be more useful than I had thought, if you can see that there was a message posted and read it optionally. There are some members who post long-winded self-serving tomes that are an utter waste of time, even having to scroll through them. I may use it for these.

• Like 2

As a philosophical aside, I generally don't believe in using the Ignore function. It is only in the face of extreme forum misuse that I ignore anyone, and then only after repeated attempts to rectify it.

One of the things I most like about this forum is that it is extremely rare for people to be banned, or for their posts to be removed or edited. But that does mean that some folks are allowed to constantly not debate in good faith, constantly refuse to acknowledge facts or answer even the most basic questions about their claims. If they do it often enough and it has been pointed out often enough, then that's when I think the function is justified.

• Like 2

But that does mean that some folks are allowed to constantly not debate in good faith, constantly refuse to acknowledge facts or answer even the most basic questions about their claims. If they do it often enough and it has been pointed out often enough, then that's when I think the function is justified.

This site is not (nor is it intended to be) a scientific site (excluding the science section obviously).

Much of it is about belief, not fact. As such it simply can not have the same types of rules that a science forum would have. Those that constantly demand proof are not going to get it, that is the entire nature of belief.

Having said that those that attack sceptics because they don't share the same belief system are equally at fault.

This is not a believers site, nor is it a sceptics site, it is a site for both sides to discuss those beliefs. It is impossible for all people to respect every belief, but it is not impossible to respect the right of the individual to hold and express that belief.

• Like 6

I haven't seen any suggestion that believers or non-believers be removed from the site or be discouraged from expressing themselves.

Waspie, I totally agree with what you have said. Just in case it wasn't clear, I wasn't advocating more moderator action to ensure scientific/fair debate, just the use of the Ignore function. IMO, this site has a moderation approach that is second to none. :tu:

Does it let you know if anyone's ignoring you?

hello? ... hello ? i'll try later i guess.

Umm, maybe lightly has ignored *everyone*..?

If so, I'm not sure we can help.. :)

• Like 4

Does it let you know if anyone's ignoring you?

No I dont think so, but as you can see Im no expert on this function either. But I think itd be daft for a member to get some sort of indication that "so and so is ignoring you"

• Like 1

No I dont think so, but as you can see Im no expert on this function either. But I think itd be daft for a member to get some sort of indication that "so and so is ignoring you"

I agree. I would also like to add that telling people you are ignoring them, which I have seen, strikes me as sometimes justified but never classy. There are maybe a half dozen people I only glance at for the most part, mainly because they are long-winded and contentious and bad writers, but then I'm that way too sometimes.

I do wish some of these endless debates which plainly convince no one of anything would end with someone allowing the other to have the last word.

• Like 2

let me just try it.

ok, let me try that.

Edited by Colonel Rhuairidh