Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mars One to launch first test mission

Waspie_Dwarf

Mars One to launch first test mission

Mars One will launch its first unmanned mission to the Red Planet in 2016, its co-founder says.

The firm plans to establish a human settlement on Martian soil in 2023, by offering passengers a one-way ticket.

Mars One will send "a small craft that will demonstrate the technologies we need for our human colony" and is inviting partners to join the mission.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Sometimes i wonder y cant companies invest more in medical science, curing diseases or even immortality.. rather than spending on all these stuffs.. with longer life spans we might even be able to see space travel!

Sometimes i wonder y cant companies invest more in medical science, curing diseases or even immortality.. rather than spending on all these stuffs.. with longer life spans we might even be able to see space travel!

This company is set up to achieve one single goal, to colonise Mars. It will be funded entirely by sponsorship and tv reality shows. Not a single penny will come from government. Not a single penny will be diverted from other scientific research (INCLUDING medical research).

This is not an either/or situation. Mars One achieving it's goals will have no adverse effects on medical research at all.

• Like 2

In answer to the GreatBeliever.... the reason they do not want everyone being immortal is because the planet we are currently on will run out of room and resources within 20 years if nobody died but people were still being born at a rapid and increasing rate.

Far better to try and explore and look to colonise outside of our own planet so we have the extra free land to colonise before we start making people immortal..... then we can truly spread across the galaxy like a plague!

Based on the past I think 3 years is a bit too ambitious. While the company may be set up with the sole goal of going to Mars it is extremely unlikely they will have the funds to make it to Mars.

Sounds like a " Snake Oil " salesmen to my way of thinking.

There is a Russian(?) billionaire that is actually funding on humans becoming immortal. Yet this wouldn't be in our own body, it would be a robotic body with our memory and conscience. I think it is scary. I would love to live as long as I want and died when I want to. But what this Russian is doing seems to be straight out of Battle Star. A few people who get this tested on them could take over the world. I'm just saying.

It is a massive amount of resources they use to put things in space, more so to send enough stuff to Mars for humans to be able to live. The thing I hope for is that that come up with a break through in power or food growing whilst doing research that makes it much more economical to put stuff in space.