Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kraken Theory Resurfaces With New 'Evidence'

Still Waters

The idea of a kraken was originally proposed a couple of years ago at the meeting of the Geological Society of America by Mount Holyoke College paleontologist Mark McMenamin. Now he has returned to the annual meeting with what he believes is more evidence of the kraken, including what could be the tip of its tooth-like beak, another example of a potential kraken murder case, and the earliest-known fossil of a scavenger crustacean that is today among those found devouring whale carcasses in the ocean depths.

http://news.discover...ence-131031.htm

I can see it now: Kraken: The Body Found faux doc brought to you Discovery/Animal Planet.

• Like 2

I can see it now: Kraken: The Body Found faux doc brought to you Discovery/Animal Planet.

I wouldn't put it past them.

"The idea of a kraken was originally proposed a couple of years ago at the meeting of the Geological Society of America by Mount Holyoke College paleontologist Mark McMenamin."

Just nit picking but should not that say something like the idea of finding evidence for a kraken in the fossil record....

I suggested in an earlier thread on the subject that 'a squid as large as a ship' wasn't really that impossible back a thousand years ago, when fifty feet was a big ship. And then, as ships grew, the by-then-legendary squid grew with them.

• Like 3

Not sure if its true or not but some people say there's a few just of the East Coast of the US

The idea of a kraken was originally proposed a couple of years ago at the meeting of the Geological Society of America by Mount Holyoke College paleontologist Mark McMenamin. Now he has returned to the annual meeting with what he believes is more evidence of the kraken, including what could be the tip of its tooth-like beak, another example of a potential kraken murder case, and the earliest-known fossil of a scavenger crustacean that is today among those found devouring whale carcasses in the ocean depths.

http://news.discover...ence-131031.htm

Isnt it just an oversized squid or octopus?

Bearing in mind the length of time we've been fishing in the north sea I would suspect the decline in fish stocks has something to do with why they rarely pass 14 metres these days. We're also a little warmer than the Middle Ages and maybe that impacts the levels of available squid food too.

Edited by SilentHunter

The so called "St. Augustine Monster" (see Wikipedia) could have been a good candidate, the remains of which were originally thought to be a 100' long unknown octopus species that washed ashore in Florida. Unfortunately for cryptozoologists it turned out to be a huge mass of whale blubber. "Release the blubber!" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

• Like 3

I guess real animals and their lives are just too boring now for Animal Planet. They recently did a "mockumentary" on Megaladon supposedly still roaming our oceans, but as we all know it died out when it ate the last of its principal food source: mermaids.

• Like 1

Kraken = I wish.. I'd make it mah pet! Then send everyone to Davy Jone's Locker!!

I'm sure there was something similar to the Kraken legends around 50 million years ago. Cephalopods leave little behind to fill in the fossil record. It's amazing enough that we find the few skeletons of vertabrates that we do, let alone a soft bodied animal.

To the article though. This was posted on here years ago. I guess the possible beak makes it news again?

Edited by BaneSilvermoon

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

the kracken is so real, as real as the story of bootstrap's bootstrap