Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

India to build world's largest statue

UM-Bot

Authorities have come under fire over plans to spend huge sums on money on the construction of a statue.

The 597ft behemoth known as the 'Statue of Unity' will honor Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, India's first deputy prime minister. With a completion time of 42 months and costs totaling almost half a billion dollars, the statue will tower over the current record holder, the 502ft tall China's Spring Temple Buddha.

Read More: http://www.unexplain...-largest-statue

Obviously the author of the piece thinks it a waste of money. I don't like such slanted journalism pretending to be just reporting what people think.

The majority of the Indian population live in terrible poverty and they spend money on this?

India is not as poor as you seem to think. I don't know about whether this is a waste of money or not, I don't know enough about it, but monuments serve very important national and economic functions.

Wow, that's going to be one tall(and pressumably wide) statue when built.

Sure hope the geologists and engineer's know what they're doing.

It's a waste of money. Perhaps they should consider spending it on their sick and homeless? I think people have potential to be great, productive citizens with some help if they need it.. moreso than a statue atleast.

Edited by Ever After
  • Like 3

Obviously the author of the piece thinks it a waste of money. I don't like such slanted journalism pretending to be just reporting what people think.

Where did the author say that?

The majority of the Indian population live in terrible poverty and they spend money on this?

I would agree on principle but I do think the building process will employ alot of people and therefore provide opportunity too.

It's a waste of money. Perhaps they should consider spending it on their sick and homeless? I think people have potential to be great, productive citizens with some help if they need it.. moreso than a statue atleast.

Refer above, this will make at least some people productive and create opportunity for them to provide for themselves.

Also, it will make a great tourist attraction - how many of us long to see the Eiffel Tower, the Pyramids, the Taj Mahal etc? Tourism can contribute significantly to a countries wealth.

That said, they need to spend more money on a safe and equitable society where tourists can feel safe visiting and not be confronted by horrible suffering at every turn - otherwise it really will be a waste of money.

I think whether it is a waste or not depends on the Return on the Investment. If they spend 200 million dollars, but bring in 1 billion dollars over 20 years, then it is worth it.

Sounds like a new Wonder of the Modern World to me.

• Like 2

So let me get this right, we are sending this country aid because their poorest live in abject poverty, and in quick succession they announce a new home built aircraft carrier costing $5 Billion, and now an ego stroking pointless edifice such as this?

And the world does nothing....

I work in the medical industry and I know from the medical equipment we have exported to India, the standard of living is the poorest for such a country I have ever seen.

May I quote one example to illustrate my point.

A man whose daughter was ill and needed surgery could not afford to have it done, a simple farmer he sold half of his livestock to afford the operation and then walked for 5 DAYS with his daughter on a hand cart to get her the treatment she needed......sometimes I can only look at the world and shake my head in despair....

• Like 3

Where did the author say that?

It called slanted reporting; that was what irritated me -- l have no reason to view it one way or the other, but the author of the article, without telling me his or her opinion, made that it was widely considered a waste of money the main point.

I think whether it is a waste or not depends on the Return on the Investment. If they spend 200 million dollars, but bring in 1 billion dollars over 20 years, then it is worth it.

Sounds like a new Wonder of the Modern World to me.

Exactly. All this complaint about waste of money are people shooting from the hip.
  • Like 1

Why not spend the money on cleaning up that nasty ass,disease infested, Ganges river??

• Like 2

I agree. Most people in India are far to poor for their government to be wasting money on frivolous projects such as this.
  • Like 3

Exactly. All this complaint about waste of money are people shooting from the hip.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

People saying that the 1/2 billion should be spent on medicine are feeding the man for a day....

Edited by DieChecker

Unless he dies as a result of not getting said medicine. Pull a drowning fisherman out of the water, give him a chance to fish again.

Yes, they are that poor and India has plenty of national monuments...Just sayin.

Two of the top ten richest cities in the world are in India. Mumbai and New Delhi. This is rated by the number of wealthy individuals living in those cities, which means there is a HUGE number of wealthy people living there, this is not just from a few very rich individuals. It requires each person counted towards that list be worth more than 30 million. Having two cities that rank near the top in total number of wealthy is evidence enough that the country is FAR from poor.

As far as individuals, and this is far less relevant, but India is also 5th in the world for total number of billionaires.

Now, this is not to say that I disagree with you, as an ideal. Just that a country being poor, and a country having a huge income disparity are two completely different things. The richest country in the world could easily have the most poor people in the world if the income disparity was bad enough.

Edited by BaneSilvermoon
  • Like 1

Us hard pressed British taxpayers fund India to the tune of many millions of pounds every year. Meanwhile the authorities in that country likewise spend millions, if not billions, on a mission to Mars! Now we read of their building the worlds largest statue, again at enormous cost. All this happening while millions of their people live in squalid conditions on the breadline. Madness!

• Like 1

Us hard pressed British taxpayers fund India to the tune of many millions of pounds every year. Meanwhile the authorities in that country likewise spend millions, if not billions, on a mission to Mars! Now we read of their building the worlds largest statue, again at enormous cost. All this happening while millions of their people live in squalid conditions on the breadline. Madness!

£280 million per annum apparently. That should keep 'em in space shots and statues quite comfortably!

For myself, I have some perspective on it's proposed height.

In my town there is a 24-story hotel, which is about 240-feet(an average of 10-feet per floor), not including the bling on top.

Anyway, this proposed statue would be over twice the hotel's height, so it gave me some perspective.

It will be like 4 Statue of Liberty's stacked on top of each other. Statue of Liberty (New York, USA) = 46m tall.

Wow, that's going to be one tall(and pressumably wide) statue when built.

Sure hope the geologists and engineer's know what they're doing.

I'm sure they do since the educated in India are indeed very educated.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

People saying that the 1/2 billion should be spent on medicine are feeding the man for a day....

And spending this money on building a statue teaches who what?