Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Evidence of British big cats discovered

UM-Bot

Dr Andrew Hemmings has found tantalizing evidence that large cats are roaming wild across the UK.

Sightings of large predatory cats have persisted across the British Isles for years. While it has long been suspected that a population of these animals has been roaming the countryside, conclusive evidence of their existence in the UK has been thin on the ground.

Read More: http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/news/257301/evidence-of-british-big-cats-discovered

• Like 4

I wouldn't be surprised, because I live in a place were animal once kept as pets are now living and breeding in the wild. But I have yet to see a picture that looks like a big cat in the UK. I have seen a Florida panther in the wild and big cats are really big.

Just as I thought there were no large, wild cats in the woods of Indiana. I was quite wrong. There was a cougar we ran into outside my friend's home. It ate his chickens, his cat, it killed a horse...

A bear was digging through my garbage in my neighborhood in Colorado. Never knew I was so close to bears ha.

I'm always hesitant these days to say I'm sure of something, because one never can be when cryptids are concerned, but I have always thought that cryptid big cats roaming the forests of the UK were one of the most likely scenarios of cryptozoology to be true.

• Like 3

I believe I've seen enough credible photo's over the last few years to have no problem believing in big cats in England. I would presume they're not native however and therefore not true cryptids.

• Like 1

I believe I've seen enough credible photo's over the last few years to have no problem believing in big cats in England. I would presume they're not native however and therefore not true cryptids.

True, a displaced animal does not a cryptid make.

• Like 1

During the time of the Pax Britannia no doubt many exotic plants and animals were brought from all over the world for zoos, circuses, and sideshows and it is not terribly unlikely some escaped or released and possibly formed the nexus of a breeding population. One only has to look at Florida where Macaque monkeys used in the old Tarzan films have not only survived but thrived and are spreading out in places around the state. Lynx, Bobcats, even Leopards might to quite well in Britain.

• Like 1

They are in the Australian bush too.I didn't believe it till i saw one. And it was not a wild domestic cat as i am a tracker and and seen thousand of wild domestic cats.

So the doctor has 3 carcasses with bites which tentatively point to big cats.

Not very exciting...

• Like 1

Got to agree with Sundew. Look at that place in ohio where that man let the animals out before killing himself.

Around San Antonio we have Primarily Primates and another sanctuary for wild animals. That's like north of me,is Natural Bridge Caverns Wildlife Ranch.They too have various wild animals,no big cats I know of. But whose to say one of the critters might not get out by accident some day. I know the property is quite large and you can drive through it.

there aren't alot of homes near it,only other ranches mainly,but still,things do happen.

I have seen coyotes,deer and even a dead red fox on FM1103 out near Steele High school in Cibolo.So wild animals are all around us.

During the time of the Pax Britannia no doubt many exotic plants and animals were brought from all over the world for zoos, circuses, and sideshows and it is not terribly unlikely some escaped or released and possibly formed the nexus of a breeding population. One only has to look at Florida where Macaque monkeys used in the old Tarzan films have not only survived but thrived and are spreading out in places around the state. Lynx, Bobcats, even Leopards might to quite well in Britain.

I would probably guess later than Pax Brittania myself. Someones exotic pet(s) let lose or escaped.

I would probably guess later than Pax Brittania myself. Someones exotic pet(s) let lose or escaped.

Perhaps true, I was just thinking of a time when things were less heavily regulated, back think you could probably keep an elephant on you estate if you had the room, lol!

Over the years i have heard of various claims about deliberate releases of exotics to the wild after the introduction of the Dangerous Wild Animals Act 1976

the problem i have with most big cat pictures there is nothing near to refrence the scale of the cat and when it is it isnt big

• 3 months later...

its a experiment gone wrong, in the lab they found a big fat black domesticated cat,

since scientist already tested the metabolism rate to be successful on rats, which made them lose tons of weight.

for cats its a different story, it made them bigger and bigger and bigger