Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Life in prison or Capital punishment? Poll

spartan max2

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which is more humane ?

• Life in prison
    • Capital punishment
    • I cant decide

So which seems more humane to you. Killing someone? or locking them up for the rest of their life?

You decide :su

IMO I think it is more humane to kill someone then lock them in a cage for the rest of life. But I understand a lot of people feel different. So I would like to hear peoples reasons

Edited by spartan max2

Even if i was not guilty and but still convicted (and had exhausted all my appeal options), i would prefer to die than live in a cage. Also, some crimes are defiantly deserving of the death penalty.

Edited by Professor Buzzkill

It all depends of the crime of course , one thing is for certain , anyone that harms or rapes children need to die.

The question is "Is it humane", not do they deserve to be executed or not.

That question can only really be answered by the prisoner. I think most would choose life over death, but there would be the exceptions.

Personally, for murder, rape, or pedophilia, why should we waste tax dollars on them? One chance at an appeal is all they should get. Nobody should sit on death row for twenty years or more......

• Like 2

So which seems more humane to you. Killing someone? or locking them up for the rest of their life?

You decide :su

IMO I think it is more humane to kill someone then lock them in a cage for the rest of life. But I understand a lot of people feel different. So I would like to hear peoples reasons

Locking them up for life serves no purpose. They should let the victims family have 20 mins alone with them then hang them.

I also didnt read your post before voting lmao.

Edited by SilentHunter

The Majority of people don't put themselves into that situation, so the question is irrelevant.However if someone does commit a heinous crime,they deserve the punishment given by their peers.Life in prison is a different sentence in many Countries,in America which I tend to agree with Life means that you don't get out,but in Britain life can be as little as 20 years with time shortened for good behaviour,so you could be out in 10/12 yrs, also there is no Death Penalty in Britain or most of the European Countries, so your Poll only applies to Americans.

If I was convicted of a murder and the judge asked me what punishment I wanted, I would rather die at the hands of the state in 20 years rather than live in prison for 50-60 years and then die. Therefore, I think the death penalty is more humane.

I have a friend who is very pro death penalty and I am very opposed to it. During a discussion I was proclaiming that prisons should not cost the taxpayer a dime as you have an institution full of captive slave labor, I could not see providing them with amenities like TV and exercise rooms, etc. He says, "I see why you are opposed to the death penalty. You want them to suffer first." :P

• Like 4

Prison is supposed to provide for rehabilitation, and while I am aware that is far from the fact this would make 'life imprisonment' rather self-defeating. I would favor a different form of justice meted out to those who were truly unable to be rehabilitated - but am opposed in the strongest manner to capital punishment.

Avoiding causing death is always the more humane option - especially given the fact that miscarriages of justice do occur.

• Like 2

I have a friend who is very pro death penalty and I am very opposed to it. During a discussion I was proclaiming that prisons should not cost the taxpayer a dime as you have an institution full of captive slave labor, I could not see providing them with amenities like TV and exercise rooms, etc. He says, "I see why you are opposed to the death penalty. You want them to suffer first." :P

LOL - then I am in that category too. I also agree that prisons should cost alot less - I think chain gangs do still exist in some places and I have seen various docos on programs prisoners can be involved in, one significant one is training stray dogs for future adoption, that can have some obvious benefits for rehabilitation and for the dogs.

What is a problem with a captive slave in the prison system - is the free labor being exploited by private corporations at profit. It is a path to corruption of the justice system to then ensure numbers of labor remain available to continue the profit making programs.

The Majority of people don't put themselves into that situation, so the question is irrelevant.However if someone does commit a heinous crime,they deserve the punishment given by their peers.Life in prison is a different sentence in many Countries,in America which I tend to agree with Life means that you don't get out,but in Britain life can be as little as 20 years with time shortened for good behaviour,so you could be out in 10/12 yrs, also there is no Death Penalty in Britain or most of the European Countries, so your Poll only applies to Americans.

That's interesting I didn't realize that life in prison can mean as little as 20 years in Britain.

I realize that capital punishment is not used in most countries which is why I asked the question. I'm curious if that reason is because people feel its more humane to lock some one up for the rest of his/her life or to kill him.

Which do you think is more humane , the U.S version of life in prison or capital punishment?

LOL - then I am in that category too. I also agree that prisons should cost alot less - I think chain gangs do still exist in some places and I have seen various docos on programs prisoners can be involved in, one significant one is training stray dogs for future adoption, that can have some obvious benefits for rehabilitation and for the dogs.

What is a problem with a captive slave in the prison system - is the free labor being exploited by private corporations at profit. It is a path to corruption of the justice system to then ensure numbers of labor remain available to continue the profit making programs.

We could build a moonbase and make it a new penal colony

We could build a moonbase and make it a new penal colony

I do like the idea of segregating criminals from the rest of humanity permanently without having to resort to killing them or continually look after them in a prison setting.

• Like 2

Executing people is humane? (lol)

No, but neither is putting someone in a cage forever.

• Like 1

This already happening. The "war on drugs" keeps 1% of the population incarcerated with a revolving door. They work to get out early then are out for a time then come back in. It supplies tens of thousands of jobs and an industry in of itself and receives tons of money from state and federal governments. . If for what ever reason drugs were legalized the prison industry system would collapse. ( please note I am not promoting any legalization). I was haveing a conversation with a detective not to long ago, and he was telling me how much income the departments get from marajuna grows. With today's technology, they know where all if it is. They take what they need through confiscation of property and cash then wait for more to pop up. They are careful not to get too agressive so as not to totally ruin their racket. In truth they are just as guilty of profiting off of illegal activity and have become very good at it. Its the little street dealer and the users that get put in prison whike the big guys and law enforcement laugh all the way to the bank in a silent or not so silent collusion.

Fun times.

• Like 2

As to CP. emotionally I want to string the truly bad guys up. Especially those that hurt children. But it's an easy out as a form of punishment. In truth I'm perfectly happy to pay a bit more in taxes for those guys to sit in a little cell for the rest of their lives.

There is also something sinister about a government able to kill its citizens. Any system can be manipulated. I don't think any government should have that power m. There is also something fundamentally wrong with killing another being. Yes being guilty of some horrendously Heinous act disqualifies one from participating as a human but there is something fundamental special about anyone's life that should be allowed to run its course. Cutting another's life short is just wrong. Not ifs ands or buts.

• Like 1

I'm totally against capital punishment on many grounds. One reason is that we constantly change. The person you are today is not the person you were yesterday. Mind is a process not a thing, so the person we are, which is mainly mind, changes. Therefore the person you execute is not the person who committed the crime.

• Like 1

I'm totally against capital punishment on many grounds. One reason is that we constantly change. The person you are today is not the person you were yesterday. Mind is a process not a thing, so the person we are, which is mainly mind, changes. Therefore the person you execute is not the person who committed the crime.

If all crimes got the death penalty we might end up with the occasional sorry individual getting their head chopped off for stepping on the grass but we'd be able to count the number of crimes commited each year on our hands.

That's interesting I didn't realize that life in prison can mean as little as 20 years in Britain.

I realize that capital punishment is not used in most countries which is why I asked the question. I'm curious if that reason is because people feel its more humane to lock some one up for the rest of his/her life or to kill him.

Which do you think is more humane , the U.S version of life in prison or capital punishment?

I would suggest Life in Prison without parole, for Murderers,Rapists and any Crime against Children.This make the Offender realise that you cannot do something heinous and get away with it, not forgetting the relatives who have to carry the burden of lost loved ones forever.Capital Punishment is the easy way out. I'm all for American Justice as the British version does not fit some crimes commited.For example this is true :- An asylum seeker stole a car, he drove without a licence or insurance and ran over and killed a small girl.When he was caught an arrested he claimed "Human Rights",and therefore could not be deported as he would be killed if he returned to his own country...so he said.He was given a 6 week jail sentence and a two year suspended sentence for dangerous driving.He was released under a Parole Officer and has since "disappeared" in London. BRITISH JUSTICE Huh !..What do you think would have happened to him under the same circumstances in America.
  • Like 1

In June 2013 a new Bill for the reinstatement of the death penalty in England and Wales was introduced. It has so far had its first reading in the House.

Ealdwita snippet alert.........In 1798, Catherine Murphy, a counterfeiter, was the last person to be burned at the stake in England.

• Like 1

As to CP. emotionally I want to string the truly bad guys up. Especially those that hurt children. But it's an easy out as a form of punishment. In truth I'm perfectly happy to pay a bit more in taxes for those guys to sit in a little cell for the rest of their lives.

There is also something sinister about a government able to kill its citizens. Any system can be manipulated. I don't think any government should have that power m. There is also something fundamentally wrong with killing another being. Yes being guilty of some horrendously Heinous act disqualifies one from participating as a human but there is something fundamental special about anyone's life that should be allowed to run its course. Cutting another's life short is just wrong. Not ifs ands or buts.

This is the reply I was waiting for. Because what I am never able to grasp is how confining someone to one building for the rest of their life is less cruel then killing them?

Me personally I would just want to die. I can understand that if they are alive at least they can get visits from loved ones and such, but still they will be in that building for the rest of their life. That just seems so unnatural and twisted to me.

That's why to me it seems more humane to kill someone then lock them up forever. Does it not seem more cruel to be confined to one building forever then to get killed?

Im not sure what my question is then, I guess what im asking is why do you feel its better to lock someone up forever as opposed to killing them? Like why it is more moral to lock them up for life to you?

Edit: I guess you kind of already answered that, but if you want to elaborate go ahead.

Edited by spartan max2

It would be interesting if life term prisoners were given the choice to opt for euthanasia or live out prison sentence.

• Like 3

It would be interesting if life term prisoners were given the choice to opt for euthanasia or live out prison sentence.

I highly doubt inmates are waiting to be given the choice. The ones that want to "opt out", opt out.

Edited by Dark_Grey
  • Like 1

This is the reply I was waiting for. Because what I am never able to grasp is how confining someone to one building for the rest of their life is less cruel then killing them?

Me personally I would just want to die. I can understand that if they are alive at least they can get visits from loved ones and such, but still they will be in that building for the rest of their life. That just seems so unnatural and twisted to me.

That's why to me it seems more humane to kill someone then lock them up forever. Does it not seem more cruel to be confined to one building forever then to get killed?

Im not sure what my question is then, I guess what im asking is why do you feel its better to lock someone up forever as opposed to killing them? Like why it is more moral to lock them up for life to you?

Edit: I guess you kind of already answered that, but if you want to elaborate go ahead.

I think you are transferring your own sentiments on others. In truth most people on death roe fight tooth and nail to save themselves. I'm with you, I'd rather die. But we are not the majority. So now the question becomes who decides what is more humane or not? For me and you we say just get it over with. For others they are fine with living in that environment. I'm ok with death ( I think). Others, those last few moments of terror is worth a lifetime of confinement. it's not up to you or I to decide what is more humane for the individual. Maybe there is another option. The truly humane option would be to give them a choice. Or..., even more humane some complicated scheme of rehabilitation and release to some kind of descent life but even then.... A choice. Others will say they don't deserve a choice, but then we are not talking about humaneness, we are talking about vengeance.

Edited by White Crane Feather
  • Like 1