Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Knife-wielding woman chases officer - video

Thanato

A Toronto Police officer felt he had “no choice” but to shoot a mentally ill woman sprinting toward him with a knife, an inquest heard Friday.

Const. Henry Tang testified that he had to react quickly when Sylvia Klibingaitis, 52, bolted from her North York home brandishing a knife on Oct. 7, 2011.

“I knew that she was trying to kill me,” Tang said. “The ferocity of her attack and the speed that she was coming towards me, I knew I had no choice but to fire my firearm.”

Klibingaitis had called 911 herself, telling the dispatcher that she had a knife and wanted to kill her mother. Tang was the first officer to respond to the call.

http://bcove.me/u8ijebma

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/11/01/police_shootings_inquest_i_knew_that_she_was_trying_to_kill_me_officer_tells_inquest.html

~Thanato

Seems justified to me

• Like 3

Guess this is one woman

*puts on sunglasses*

who didn't belong in the kitchen.

lol that was just to good(even though it was blatantly sexist). :clap: bravo sir

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1

Horrifying! Who WOULD NOT have shot her??? Is a better question... clearly self defense.

• Like 2

That was terrible

lol that was just to good(even though it was blatantly sexist). :clap: bravo sir

Yeah, I'm practically sprinting to hell at this point

*edit* I Disclaimer: we here at Skeptical B Enterprises would like to make clear we don't support sexism outside of comedy.

Edited by SkepticalB
  • Like 4

the article is 2+ years old, why would anyone post old news?? my guess a thread about the 13 year old kid, has something to do with it.

• Like 1

the articles new, but the incident itself happened back in '11.

strange that the inquest is still going on that long.

the article is 2+ years old, why would anyone post old news?? my guess a thread about the 13 year old kid, has something to do with it.

The article is 2+ days old. Was published on the 1st of this month.

Te incident happened in 2011 and has nothing to do with that.

Don't really see why anyone would question the shooting given the video.

Now one can certainly question how we deal with mental illness in our society and are police trained to handle these situations, but an officer really has no choice once it gets to the stage seen in the video.

A similar thing happened when I lived in Ithaca, NY, about 15 year ago and resulted in the death of a detective, leaving a wife and two young sons.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/14830-investigator-michael-a-padula

And it almost happened again in 2011:

http://www.ithaca.com/news/article_b6a54faa-0fdf-11e1-ad11-001cc4c002e0.html

It seems to me that if we set aside all of the politically charged discussion about firearms, video games, rap music, etc. there is one common denominator in almost all of these cases - mental illness.

Suicide by cop IMO. She called the police herself and then left little option but to shoot her. She planned it.

• Like 1

Suicide by cop IMO. She called the police herself and then left little option but to shoot her. She planned it.

And now that cop has to wonder for the rest of his life if he could have done things differently.

And now that cop has to wonder for the rest of his life if he could have done things differently.

he'll be just fine, will pbly forget in few weeks as he finishes paperwork.

Right, because taking a person's life is that easy to shrug off when you're just trying to do your job.

• Like 2

A civilian would have been equally justified for pulling the trigger in this case, as I'm sure you know.

But would have probably gone bankrupt in trying to pay for all the defense lawyers needed to convince a jury of it.

But would have probably gone bankrupt in trying to pay for all the defense lawyers needed to convince a jury of it.

True story. I worked around(not with) lawyers, and some would "drag things out" to increase their own income.

But that's another story. I would agree the cop was justified in shooting that deranged woman coming at him with a knife.

he'll be just fine, will pbly forget in few weeks as he finishes paperwork.

Thank you, I now know that I can dismiss anything you say about police as nothing more than delusional hate.