Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Platypus-zilla' fossil found in Australia

Waspie_Dwarf

'Platypus-zilla' fossil unearthed in Australia

Part of a giant platypus fossil has been unearthed in Queensland, Australia.

Scientists have dubbed the beast "platypus-zilla" and believe it would have measured more than 1m-long (3ft).

Writing in the Journal of Vertebrate Paleontology, the researchers say the creature lived between five and 15 million years ago.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

3ft = a Godzilla comparison?

That's some serious hyperbole.

Well when your average platypus is <1foot long and venomous, I'd say anything 3footish is worthy of "zilla-ising".

• Like 4

Well when your average platypus is <1foot long and venomous, I'd say anything 3footish is worthy of "zilla-ising".

Well I'll be.... I honestly didn't know the platypus was venomous! Ya larns summatt evr'y blessed day, dontcha!

• Like 1

Well I'll be.... I honestly didn't know the platypus was venomous! Ya larns summatt evr'y blessed day, dontcha!

It's the spurs on their feet that have the poison, eald...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 2

Just the males, they have spurs on their hind legs for combating other male rivals. I saw a show on venom where someone picked up one that was sick or hurt and got jabbed, they said the pain was excruciating and lasted for days if I remember correctly, and nothing seemed to help alleviate the pain. That seems to be the purpose of the venom, make your opponent hurt enough, it will leave you alone and then you get the females. At one time some shrews were considered the only other venomous mammals, but the definition of venomous has been blurred a bit and other critters are now listed as such also.

• Like 3

Thanks lads. It's nice to be the snippetee rather than the snippeter sometimes.

• Like 2