Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

consciousness exercize using word association

SpiritWriter

Hello,

I just did an exercize where I listed words that had to do with my beliefs and continued to write the first word that came to my mind one after the other, pretty soon I had filled the whole page. I think this is an interesting and honest approach to review some of your consciousness. You can list word after word in the same topic and then expand the topic and list more words for the expansion (sub-topics) or word after word as in automatic reaction to the previous word or any other word listing brainstorming activity you know of or can think up.

Try it and see how you like it; Nobody's looking! Really dig deep in there and get some good stuff out. Don't go for the superficial or joking route, really open up and discover some of your ways of thinking. You should be in a somewhat meditative state, allow for discomfort or even more severe sensations to occur. I'm not sharing mine or asking you to, but just wanted to share the practice because I think it can be healing and beneficial.

Let me know if you tried it and what you thought of it.

:)

Edited by SpiritWriter
  • Like 5

A good exercise, the thought associations in our mind determine how we react to influences presented in the world. We can eliminate "reaction aka: re-action" and become more conscious or "active" if we understand when and what buttons are being pushed in life and how our emotions are determining our choices in general.

• Like 1

Hello,

I just did an exercise where I listed words that had to do with my beliefs and continued to write the first word that came to my mind one after the other, pretty soon I had filled the whole page. I think this is an interesting and honest approach to review some of your consciousness. You can list word after word in the same topic and then expand the topic and list more words for the expansion (sub-topics) or word after word as in automatic reaction to the previous word or any other word listing brainstorming activity you know of or can think up.

Try it and see how you like it; Nobody's looking! Really dig deep in there and get some good stuff out. Don't go for the superficial or joking route, really open up and discover some of your ways of thinking. You should be in a somewhat meditative state, allow for discomfort or even more severe sensations to occur. I'm not sharing mine or asking you to, but just wanted to share the practice because I think it can be healing and beneficial.

Let me know if you tried it and what you thought of it.

:)

Oh Man.. This is awesome.. What a great post...

I discovered this technique about a year ago. and went through about half a dozen exercises (that I still have on my PC) Which I just reviewed.. slight difference being that it was a brain dumping exercise, where first thoughts, no matter how strange, are typed out..

The first exercise was the strongest.. A lot of crap was dumped, but I can see that there is still some things I seriously need to work on, and still am working on as far as my own personal development goes..

Here's my last year's dump for folks to see to get the gist of it..

Honestly, reading this now as opposed to reading it a year ago have given me a better understanding of my self, now v's then..

08-10-2012.

12.40pm.

Dump this stuff in the dark.

The keys are black but the letters are white.

the coffee makes my head buzzz.

Don't think, rea-act..

aliens are dancing on the grave.

a dark wind blows.

darkwind knows.

poets are pieces of ****.

water runs downhill fast in the flow.

the stars will shine bright tonight.

the crown is blocked.

the crown is blocked.

chakras are a load of ****.

energy is the most basic element in the universe.

waters rich in the flow of water.

inspire.

inspire.

write

purpose.

free your mind.

hallow places.

darkness fears the night does not.

the wind will move the leaves.

naught.

i don't know what to think.

thoughts are feelings?

no.

no.

winds of courage.

pity.

empty the trash.

call me when it's done.

incopmplete ode to the internet troll.

and waiting for change.

don't wait for it.

be it.

be it.

be it.

holding darkness at bay.

earthquakes come and all will be undone.

get ready.

are you ready?

no.

you have been warned.

get off my back.

fine. but you have been warned.

12:47pm.

Edited by Professor T
  • Like 2

Wow PT now that you put it like that I realize indeed I have done a lot of this. Yes I really think automatic writting is very good for us. By itself on pieces of paper, or on our PC's in may seem wierd or non sensical, but as you go, you get deeper and deeper in your thinking, are able to recipricate more views, get a sense of your own thinking patterns, etc... is very much meditation, but leaves something for you to review and remember... lol I know why you say poetry sucks... ;) , this type of work is poetic, as it is written from the place poetry comes from but at the same time it isnt poetry and with that in mind I think its hard to find a a true poet or poetry for there is never and end to the psyche....

This is my thinking at least.

Oh Man.. This is awesome.. What a great post...

I discovered this technique about a year ago. and went through about half a dozen exercises (that I still have on my PC) Which I just reviewed.. slight difference being that it was a brain dumping exercise, where first thoughts, no matter how strange, are typed out..

The first exercise was the strongest.. A lot of crap was dumped, but I can see that there is still some things I seriously need to work on, and still am working on as far as my own personal development goes..

Here's my last year's dump for folks to see to get the gist of it..

Honestly, reading this now as opposed to reading it a year ago have given me a better understanding of my self, now v's then..

• Like 1

There are variations on this theme. One I have found useful when thinking about ethics and morality and its base is to list words or short phrases that describe virtues and then see if I can find another that describes the same virtue taken to excess. For example: frugality, stinginess. It assists in sustaining the middle way and when to make exceptions.

• Like 2

Wow PT now that you put it like that I realize indeed I have done a lot of this. Yes I really think automatic writting is very good for us. By itself on pieces of paper, or on our PC's in may seem wierd or non sensical, but as you go, you get deeper and deeper in your thinking, are able to recipricate more views, get a sense of your own thinking patterns, etc... is very much meditation, but leaves something for you to review and remember... lol I know why you say poetry sucks... ;) , this type of work is poetic, as it is written from the place poetry comes from but at the same time it isnt poetry and with that in mind I think its hard to find a a true poet or poetry for there is never and end to the psyche....

This is my thinking at least.

Good points. you know me quite well. lol.

I do hope more people at least try this and do a bit of self reflection on the outcome.. There are meanings within meanings when one just opens up and dumps these seemingly random and ungoverned snips of thought.. They can make one wonder where these came from, and make one question whether such thoughts are really their own or the product of an unseen other. Ultimately though, it's interpretation is personal.

I feel that the Poet's thought was about a poet's ego. It disregarded the underlying nature of words and the power of words and resonance and force and currents that ebb and flow at deeper levels the same way we disregard the electricity in out homes until there's a power-cut. Visually, it's kinda like a mirror, on one side was poet, on the other, his creation.. The poet see's himself.. His creation sees a rather ignorant creature.