Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haiyan hits my countrymen... not again :(

crimson089

We haven't fully recovered from a 7.2 magnitude earthquake and as I am posting this thread right now, we're experiencing superb strong winds and heavy rains like at any moment the electricity can be cut and I'm going to post this now before my wifi is gone lol. One of the strongest storms in world history based on maximum windspeed is making a landfall through the Central Philippines, producing deadly storm surges and dumping heavy rainfall.

Haiyan, known in the Philippines as Super Typhoon Yolanda, had estimated maximum sustained winds of 195 mph with gusts above 220 mph, that means it was travelling 24mph faster than Hurricane Katrina when it slammed into the US last 2005. Since 1969, only three storms have had sustained winds close to this magnitude — Hurricane Camille in 1969, Super Typhoon Tip in 1979, and Hurricane Allen in 1980. No storm in the Atlantic has ever been stronger than Haiyan, according to The Weather Channel. Meteorologists believe Haiyan is stronger than the world's last strongest tropical cyclone, hurricane Camille, which was recorded in the US at 190mph in 1969.

Satellite image of Super Typhoon Haiyan, it's sooo huge it's covering the whole country:

o-TYPHOON2-570.jpg?1

sources:

http://www.huffingto..._n_4235250.html

http://edition.cnn.c...typhoon-haiyan/

http://news.uk.msn.c...lippines-be-hit

sigh... what is happening to our country =__=

Edited by crimson089
  • Like 4

thanks! omg my wifi still here : D

• Like 2

If I could, I would put you and your family up.

When people need help from natural disasters, NO money should get in the way.

Slightly off topic(sort of) but when I hear about how much the clean up or rescue costs are, I can not understand why? do it for nothing and worry about costs later, get the government to cover the costs, they have the money.

But as usual, there are always those who will use a disaster to their advantage, if they are not going out robbing and looting by foot, they are doing it through charges.

STAY SAFE Crimson089.

• Like 3

i know, i totally agree. cash donations 90% of the time gets on the hands of the corrupts. for the past calamities we've been through, our government would tell us the budget has already been depleted, well mostly inside their pockets. im lucky my place was always far from natural disasters, this time quite far from the storm's landfall. thanks again freetoroam! : )

• Like 1

There has been some serious devastation from this Typhoon, my heart goes out to all affected. How frightening.

• Like 1

phew Super Saiyan Storm is gone, it's now heading to nearby asian countries but thank goodness it became weaker. I do hope they're ready for this storm, and yeah we're pretty devastated :cry:

It's good you are safe crimson.

The latest news report here says "More than 120 people are reported killed by Typhoon Haiyan on one Philippines island, as the country tries to recover from the storm." - How awful :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk...d-asia-24878801

• Like 3

thanks for posting that link. that article briefly shows the storm's aftermath but the 120 dead toll is only for the main city of the province where the storm's eye took its landfall. there are 41 more towns nearby shores that endured the 5m storm surges which are still hardly accessible by now. i hope there are no more piles of body when our local governments reach it.

last night while i was posting this thread and watching local news, they keep on reporting that they have placed their team on that city but nobody can get in contact with them. communications lines were cut, electricity went down, and still no one knows what is happening to the city, but they were confident that they have contacted LGUs earlier in the afternoon and they were quite ready. i was following the news upto the morning and even we're far from the storm's eye, we were still experiencing storm signals, this storm must be really really big and strong. early morning before i replied to libstak's post, local news were reporting communication lines was restored to the city just this morning and they started broadcasting live of the storm's aftermath where piles of bodies were scattered in the streets. some dead families were seen lying in each other's arms, sudden chills ran down to my spine. residents told them the storm surges went unexpectedly very high smashing many times more than a tsunami is capable of, therefore killed many of them. and this is just from the main city, 41 nearby towns were still hardly accessible. i can't bare to look at the news anymore...

Yahoo news reported the death toll surpassed 1,200 from "super" Typhoon Haiyan, and wishes the best of luck for the Philippines to recover from that and the recent M7.2 earthquake. The Philippines receives somewhere between 15 to 20 typhoons annually, as the island chain of 7,700 (WOW!) islands are often in the way of typhoons' paths. Earthquakes and volcanos are common in the archipelago that arises in the Pacific Rim of Fire. And Crimson, what part of the Philippines are you in, may I ask? Yolanda's eye seems to struck the south-central Philippines and northern coasts of Mindanao appears inside the worst part of the storm.

Edited by Mike D boy
  • Like 1

Yahoo news reported the death toll surpassed 1,200 from "super" Typhoon Haiyan, and wishes the best of luck for the Philippines to recover from that and the recent M7.2 earthquake. The Philippines receives somewhere between 15 to 20 typhoons annually, as the island chain of 7,700 (WOW!) islands are often in the way of typhoons' paths. Earthquakes and volcanos are common in the archipelago that arises in the Pacific Rim of Fire. And Crimson, what part of the Philippines are you in, may I ask? Yolanda's eye seems to struck the south-central Philippines and northern coasts of Mindanao appears inside the worst part of the storm.

hah yes that's our country's archipelago. imagine how we endure all storms, earthquakes, and other natural disasters each year! these two big consecutive calamities to happen in a span of a year is extremely rare in our history, and i do hope there's no more succeeding catastrophes after this. i'm residing at Luzon region btw, from the southern shores and the nearest province in the capital city of the country. and right, the death toll has raised like 1100% now. sigh....

Edited by crimson089
  • Like 1

Media here are saying there could be 10,000 dead. :( I pray this is not so.

It's terrible.

At least 10,000 people are thought to have been killed in the Philippine city of Tacloban by Typhoon Haiyan, officials believe.

A further 300 are confirmed dead with 2,000 missing in the neighbouring island of Samar.

Up to 4.3million people are said to have been directly affected by the typhoon's path and the death toll is expected to rise further as rescuers reach cut off areas.

If the death toll estimate by government officials is confirmed, it would be the deadliest natural catastrophe on record in the Philippines.

http://uk.news.yahoo...47.html#o8vChuP

• Like 2

So so tragic. The therapist I work with is from Iloilo. He said his family is alright and everyone at the retirement community I work at are grateful for that. Prayers for all the people of the Philippines.

• Like 4

Prayers for sure! They have a very hard road ahead of them and will need all the help they can get.

• Like 2

thank you sooo much for all the prayers! from the theists and believers, this is more than enough. also to those who are sending their help through donations. i dont belong mainly from the mainstream catholic, but im a christian and truly grateful. just wanted to share also this photo taken from Leyte where Haiyan's eye took its landfall. This greatly uplifts all the hopes of survivors out there, especially our churchmates. Stay strong Philippines! :innocent:

INC-Church-Tacloban-City-Amid-Yolanda-Catastrophe.jpg?resize=794%2C527

• Like 2

I hope this is the last of the bad lack for this region, it doesn't seem fair to go through an earthquake and then have it followed up with something like this.

• Like 1

Typhoon Haiyan Devastation: New Storm On Way

As rescuers battle to get aid to millions of victims of a catastrophic typhoon, a new storm threatens to hamper their efforts.

Rescuers are struggling to get desperately needed aid to areas of the Philippines devastated by Typhoon Haiyan - as a new storm approaches.

Aid workers are being held back by blocked roads and damaged airports as they try to deliver tents, food and medicines to the worst affected areas.

Troops have been sent to the city of Tacloban to restore law and order after reports of looting, with Philippines President Benigno Aquino considering declaring a state of emergency or martial law where necessary.

arrow3.gifView: Read more

Edited by Ohelemapit
  • Like 1

I hope this is the last of the bad lack for this region, it doesn't seem fair to go through an earthquake and then have it followed up with something like this.

I do hope too!

arrow3.gifView: Read more

yes we have another storm coming this week, but the estimated gusts of its wind could be just average and the rainfall could be moderate. however, its path is through the Central region again. i think this time we need superman or maybe marvel's mighty thor to put a stop on all these storms =__=

as for the good news, aid efforts are coming our way. UK pledges for £6 million, $10 million from Australia as well as $10 million from UAE. Wow that is a LOT of money, i do hope it goes straight to the rightful hands of the typhoon victims. local news reported to have a delay on sending goods and donations since all roads are blocked and ruined, aerial transportations were limited.

just an image of how strong Haiyan's gusts really is, many ships were found scattered on land. and guess what's beneath them? dead bodies.

haiyan-ship.jpg

the aftermaths are becoming worse. the whole Leyte region was completely wiped out, literally. the smell of dead bodies everywhere brings them disease and medicine is nowhere. hospitals were gone, schools and shelters are wiped out and seriously there is nowhere to go. no blankets nor roof above their heads to protect them for the coming storm. survivors were seen walking like zombies on streets, wounded and finding food, water & shelter as they could have survived from the storm but not from starvation. people were crying out to media to send messages to their relatives at cities that some of them are still alive because communication lines were not fully restored yet. the picture of this scenario, one can only think as a massive state of calamity.

Edited by crimson089

The latest news said the death toll wasn't 10,000 ... there are some people unaccounted for could still be alive. The world does the best it can to provide relief to the typhoon-stricken portions of the Philippines. The Filipino-American community in the US are participating, and so are some US churches are going over there to lend a helping hand. Haiyan's wind gusts are among the highest recorded in world history, but to strike buildings not built to withstand 195 MPH winds. Crimson, you're aware of building codes in the Philippines to withstand typhoons as well earthquakes? I've imagined they would be there in newer buildings like the one church still standing in a photo you shown us.

The latest news said the death toll wasn't 10,000 ... there are some people unaccounted for could still be alive. The world does the best it can to provide relief to the typhoon-stricken portions of the Philippines. The Filipino-American community in the US are participating, and so are some US churches are going over there to lend a helping hand. Haiyan's wind gusts are among the highest recorded in world history, but to strike buildings not built to withstand 195 MPH winds. Crimson, you're aware of building codes in the Philippines to withstand typhoons as well earthquakes? I've imagined they would be there in newer buildings like the one church still standing in a photo you shown us.

i'm not entirely sure about our building codes, but im certainly sure with our pathetic government's corruption. our local government estimated only 2,500 death toll but that was just from main city. some international reporters claimed they have seen a thousand of bodies already from nearby towns which are still hardly accessible due to wrecked roads. everyone can only hope for below 10,000 death toll but how can you even trust our government? tomorrow is going to be the 7th day of the aftermath yet the government has barely placed feeding tents on the main city, not to mention the 41 nearby towns. and they were proud to tell they are progressing.... really....people are struggling for survival, looting and breaking into establishments that have food, armed people were taking advantage of the situation, women are being raped at this time of calamity, and children are vulnerable to abuse and trafficking. our government couldn't even bring peace and order, 2 - 3 days can be acceptable but 7th day of aftermath is unconvincing. despite all the aid from the international community, it's a shame the whole world witness our country in this devastating situation. what more to the newer roads and buildings after this? our government will only take the budget inside their pockets and create new buildings and roads out of rubbish in the lowest quality. same thing happens on all typhoons this country endures each year. btw, that church which are placed in many places could not be new either. its foundation is just checked and strengthen each year so it can withstand such calamities.

Edited by crimson089
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
Nearly five weeks after Typhoon Haiyan tore through the Philippines, the government now says more than 6,000 people have been reported dead. Nearly 1,800 more are still missing.

The new death toll figure, reported Friday, represents a sharp increase from the approximately 4,000 deaths confirmed by the government just three weeks ago.

http://edition.cnn.c...typhoon-haiyan/