Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Kendrick Johnson.

supervike

I haven't seen anything in the news on this case. I just wondered if anyone else had regarding the FBI taking it over ......

I hate to see this poor kids death go to the realms of what is no longer being discussed. There is something very wrong with this case and how it was handled. I'm hoping the FBI comes up with something.

• 1 month later...

I was just searching to see if there has been any progress on this case and found this.

http://www.cnn.com/2...tion/index.html

I hope they are making some progress on this case. This report mentions a grand jury being called.

There was a terrible report on our local news yesterday day about a local high school team group that had held down two kids and assaulted them in the high school gym. Yeah, it went way beyond what anyone could call hazing. Yes, it was sexual assault in front of other team members. The victims did manage to live so it seems to have fallen out of our news tonight.

Is this what happened to Kendrick ? So that's the end of interest ???

This kid was murdered. No news articles, no interest ???

Edited by Vincennes

Kids could have thrown his shoe in there and just walked away, but are not festing up.It is possible he try to climb up the roll mat to reach in to get the shoe and fell in.

It would be alot easier to just tip the mat onto it's side and retrieve the shoe that way. He was either incredibly thoughtless or there is more to this. I think there is definitely more to this, he would have to consider how to get back up after he leaned in and climb onto something that let him lean in enough to reach the shoe I think, alot of effort when you can just tip the matt onto it's side or unroll it.

I really didn't give enough thought to involvement by multiple "team" members until I heard the story on our local news re. the molestation of two kids during a practice session that had gone unreported for over a year. The truly frightening thing was most of the team had been present and kept their mouths shut until one of the victims finally came forward. And this was not an "inner city" school, it was a suburban one.

Alarming how many kept it quiet. Perhaps they were even more inclined to do so in this case since someone died as a result.

I really hope this family gets justice.

• 5 months later...

Thanks for that update, Vin.

Right off the bat, there are two things not clear.

1) Was Johnson eliminated as as the donor of that blood on the door?

2) Were others shown in the gym video ever identified?

There is so much in that CNN report it's going to take a little bit to catch up on exactly what has gone on.

One thing that stood out to me like a flashing light was that photo of the body in the gym mat. That just has to be a reenactment but it's still certainly a weird one. It shows the tennis shoes by the feet of the victim. If he was reaching down into the mat to reach for his shoes (which was the first story ), then it seems to me the shoes would be his arm and then his head as he fell in. It's just an odd picture that certainly can't represent how he was actually found.

It's my impression ( and just that - impression only ) that Kendrick's blood must have been eliminated as being what was found on the door. They certainly have his DNA and they referred to it as unidentified. To me it was most interesting that Mike Brooks said that when they interviewed the janitors, they didn't question them as to the blood. Certainly, they would have been the best ones to ask how long it had been there ! They didn't even ask !! I know it's probably not all that unusual to find a bit of blood in a gym but with today's emphasis on issues re. blood, it's a little hard to believe they had seen it and just left it there.

I don't know about the identification of the other kid's in the gym. For the most part I would think they would have class records showing which class was in there and then be able to check if there were some additional people. The last time I looked at the developments in this case, they had just discovered after exhuming the body that the internal organs were missing. I didn't realize the corner had later issued such a strong report that something was wrong in this case.

Going to have to dig back a little just to see what else has gone on that has been missed.

One thing that stood out to me like a flashing light was that photo of the body in the gym mat. That just has to be a reenactment but it's still certainly a weird one. It shows the tennis shoes by the feet of the victim. If he was reaching down into the mat to reach for his shoes (which was the first story ), then it seems to me the shoes would be his arm and then his head as he fell in. It's just an odd picture that certainly can't represent how he was actually found.

The only innocent explanation I can come up with is that he was still wearing those shoes and after he was stuck, used his feet to take them off.

To me it was most interesting that Mike Brooks said that when they interviewed the janitors, they didn't question them as to the blood. Certainly, they would have been the best ones to ask how long it had been there ! They didn't even ask !!

It sounds to me like they simply didn't have an objective approach to this case, nor were they thorough re: evidence/potential evidence. :no::td:

The last time I looked at the developments in this case, they had just discovered after exhuming the body that the internal organs were missing.

I have no idea what that's about, but to me, it sounds like an issue with the funeral home.

Did they claim not to have received the body intact from the coroner?

The only innocent explanation I can come up with is that he was still wearing those shoes and after he was stuck, used his feet to take them off.

That wasn't the original story re. what they thought had happened. They said they thought he might have layed his shoes ON TOP of the gym roll. Then found they had fallen in and tried to reach down and retrieve them ! That picture has to be a recreation and a poor one. I can't imagine why CNN would have used it. I guess no one took the time to figure out the tennis shoes would not then have been below his feet. They would have been below his hands and head !

It sounds to me like they simply didn't have an objective approach to this case, nor were they thorough re: evidence/potential evidence. :no::td:

And why would they have not had an "objective approach" becomes the relevant question !!!! :yes:

I have no idea what that's about, but to me, it sounds like an issue with the funeral home.

Did they claim not to have received the body intact from the coroner?

They made it sound initially like it was a problem with the funeral home. The funeral home says that's the way they received the body after the original autopsy. The parents asked from the beginning why were their son's internal organs were removed by the autopsy and not returned with the body. Could there have been internal damage that someone didn't want showing up ??? Obviously from the second medical examination the coroner had additional questions re. that.

You add several of these things up, including the blood on the door that the janitors were not questioned about. This is not a pretty picture. I'm saddened some cases make press coverage and some don't. At least they did get this moved up to FBI level and from just the results that have been received thus far, it seems all of the initial questions were very valid.

Do we have any members in the Atlanta area that can add more as to what has been on their local coverage ?????

Edited by Vincennes

There is just about everything wrong with the investigation into this child's death that could happen !

You guys all good with that ???

That wasn't the original story re. what they thought had happened. They said they thought he might have layed his shoes ON TOP of the gym roll. Then found they had fallen in and tried to reach down and retrieve them ! That picture has to be a recreation and a poor one. I can't imagine why CNN would have used it. I guess no one took the time to figure out the tennis shoes would not then have been below his feet. They would have been below his hands and head !

Sorry, Vin, I didn't realize that the photo was a recreation. All I know is that Johnson was shown on video only moments before wearing white tennis shoes.

My feeling is he was beat up and assumed dead and was thrown into the mat to cover it up. So he asphyxiated in the mat with those injuries. Coroner found damaged organs and removed them because he is connected to one of the children that killed him.

• Like 1

My feeling is he was beat up and assumed dead and was thrown into the mat to cover it up. So he asphyxiated in the mat with those injuries. Coroner found damaged organs and removed them because he is connected to one of the children that killed him.

That's pretty much what I think. It just seems throwing him into the mat seems like pretty much a kid thing to do. I can't see an adult coming up with that kind of plan. I would be looking at who has connections in that gym class.

I just don't see any 'cover-up cause of death' angle based on multiple missing organs. In the first place, I would expect the external exam to have shown any other injuries if there were any, but multiple missing organs doesn't make any sense to me that together, their absence would cover-up a cause of death.

Needless to say, the circumstances surrounding Johnson's death are paramount in determining whether or not his death was accidental- and to me those circumstances certainly aren't clear- but just because it's observed that the investigation was poorly executed, it definitely isn't evidence to me that it was because there was a cover-up of what actually happened to Johnson.

I just don't see any 'cover-up cause of death' angle based on multiple missing organs. In the first place, I would expect the external exam to have shown any other injuries if there were any, but multiple missing organs doesn't make any sense to me that together, their absence would cover-up a cause of death.

Needless to say, the circumstances surrounding Johnson's death are paramount in determining whether or not his death was accidental- and to me those circumstances certainly aren't clear- but just because it's observed that the investigation was poorly executed, it definitely isn't evidence to me that it was because there was a cover-up of what actually happened to Johnson.

I guess I can see what you are saying about the missing internal organs. I was just thinking such things as a ruptured spleen aren't all that rare in a case of physical combat; however, thinking that through a little more, if something like that had occurred I would think there would have been obvious bruises in the stomach area.

One of the things that says to me there might be a possible cover-up is the delay in the interviews that the FBI mentioned in their report. The circumstance he was found in is so unusual, you would just think they would look into it thoroughly from the get go but it could have been caused by just laziness and ineptness. That's also a possibility that wouldn't surprise me. :unsure2:

also , never google his name at night, those post mortum pictures of his face are terrifying!

The full report, which you can read below, said that Johnson was reaching for a shoe, which was at the bottom of the vertically resting mat. Crime scene photos show that the shoe, which may not have been his own, had no blood on it although the floor around the shoe did. Johnson was found found with his own shoes in the mat with him, but not on his feet. He also had a pair of headphones in one of his hands. The report also says that Johnson had been bleeding from his eyes, nose and mouth and that there was dried blood on his arms, chest and face. The report states plainly, “There appeared to be no signs of blunt force trauma on Johnson’s face or body” — an assessment that was later reinforced by the autopsy but eventually disputed by a second autopsy.

http://topinfopost.com/2014/01/12/10-facts-you-need-to-know-about-the-death-of-kendrick-johnson

the pressure of the blood rushing to the downward face position could be the theory as to why he ws bleeding

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Docy, there is a previous thread on this case. http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=257559&st=30&p=5313959&hl=+kendrick%20+johnsonentry5313959

This is a really good update on it indicating there is still an investigation going on. It also refers to an article in Ebony magazine which I'm now going to try and find.

I wonder if we could join these threads ?

I wasn't able to come up with the actual article in Ebony which seems to have named the wrestler as a suspect but I did find one that pointed me to another article from CNN. It lays out again all of the things that were "missed" in the initial investigation.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/08/us/georgia-gym-mat-death/index.html?sr=sharebar_twitter

I wasn't able to come up with the actual article in Ebony which seems to have named the wrestler as a suspect but I did find one that pointed me to another article from CNN. It lays out again all of the things that were "missed" in the initial investigation.

http://www.cnn.com/2...harebar_twitter

http://www.cnn.com/2...harebar_twitter

The suspected brothers could have rough up Kendrick and threw his shoe in to the standing roll and he did try to reach the shoe and get it , or they did roll him up in it. It seems they are having a problem as of what time the bus left the school with the one suspected brother .

Edited by docyabut2

The suspected brothers could have rough up Kendrick and threw his shoe in to the standing roll and he did try to reach the shoe and get it , or they did roll him up in it. It seems they are having a problem as of what time the bus left the school with the one suspected brother .

The suspected brothers could have rough up Kendrick and threw his shoe in to the standing roll and he did try to reach the shoe and fell in.It seems they are having a problem as of what time the bus left the school with the one suspected brother on the bus

I knew this was odd from the beginning. Hope they find the guilty party or parties!

Forgot to ask, were there any signs of sexual trauma? Watching the video shows Mr. Johnson half dressed.

Edited by Maureen_jacobs

I just don't understand the narrative if this is a "cover up".

Somebody murdered this guy...and then to hide the evidence they rolled him up into a mat and concocted the "accidental death" story? There are surely easier, less complicated ways to stage an accidental death?

Or was rolling him into the mat they way they chose to kill him?

I'm of the theory that there's nothing here. The story is true, he fell into the mat and died of positional asphyxiation and the grieving family won't accept it. This happens all of the time. Sure there might be "holes" in the investigation but that certainly doesn't point to a cover up or anything nefarious IMO.