Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists Question Rise of the 'Paleo Diet'

questionmark

The "paleo diet" -- which supposedly mimics what our caveman ancestors ate -- has become a new health craze. But many scientists doubt that this hunter-gatherer cuisine of meat, veggies and fruit is as healthy as advertised, or even historically correct.

There are a growing number of people dedicated to the world of healthy food and starvation diets. Sometimes they try to convince their fellow human beings to join them in their strict approach to eating, advising friends and partners to cut down on beer consumption or give up bratwurst.

But now Tom Jones has come to the rescue of lovers of hearty food. The singer ("It's Not Unusual") was once considered a sex symbol. But Jones, who is about 1.80 meters (5'11") tall, had put on weight over the years, reaching more than 100 kilograms (220 lbs.). When Jones decided that it was time to lose weight, he chose a decidedly masculine method. The singer adhered to the diet of people who lived in the Paleolithic Age, which meant eating primarily meat.

Read more

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lilly

• questionmark

• Q-C

• freetoroam

Popular Days

The restaurant Sauvage recently opened its doors in Prenzlauer Berg, a Berlin neighborhood traditionally open to experimentation. The restaurant composes its dishes exclusively in ways that supposedly reflect the nutritional habits of early man. The owners strictly dispense with milk products and bread, pasta, rice and potatoes. The caveman-style chefs prepare cheese substitutes with pureed nuts and root vegetables. One of the items on the menu is crispy lamb brain in a manioc crust.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/zeitgeist/scientists-question-paleo-diet-popularity-a-932104.html

No doubt this will do well, there are always bored celebrities and rich people with money to waste who will try anything if it gets their name mentioned......again.

Utter rubbish IMO...cavemen ate whatever they could get their hands on, and did not live particularly long or healthy lives.

• Like 1

There are so many diet plans/lifestyles out there, I wonder how many stick to just one. If they jump on one bandwagon they may be inclined to jump on any new diet.

For me personally, I eat what makes my body feel at it's best. I can't eat dairy (although I do sometimes and pay for it afterwards) and I feel better when I don't consume much bread. I don't feel my best without some animal protein and I enjoy vegetables. Whole grains and rice are very hard on my digestive system.

I don't eat a lot of fruit and I am fine with that despite what any food pyramid tells me.

I don't care a whole lot how others choose to eat or experiment with their diet unless they try to convert/shame me/everyone else and give some baloney about this or that.