Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Indian Mars mission hit by snag

Waspie_Dwarf

Indian Mars mission hit by snag

India's mission to Mars has hit a snag, after a planned engine burn failed to raise the spacecraft's orbit around Earth by the intended amount.

The problem occurred during a manoeuvre designed to boost the craft's maximum distance from 71,623km to 100,000km.

A problem with the liquid fuel thruster caused the 1,350kg vehicle to fall short of the mark.

But the head of the Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) said the spacecraft remained "healthy".

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Waspie_Dwarf

• wallarookiller

• seeder

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh what a bummer, but thankfully it hasn't doomed the mission, fingers crossed there wont be any more glitches!

Indian Mars mission weathers first snag

A week into its mission, India's Mars probe overcame a bout of engine trouble Monday with an unplanned maneuver to boost its orbit after a rocket firing failed to do its job Sunday.

India launched the probe on a roundabout trajectory to Mars because the 1.5-ton spacecraft was too heavy for its rocket to place it on a direct course to the red planet.

arrow3.gifRead more...

Instead of flying directly to Mars, the $72m (£45m) probe is scheduled to orbit Earth until the end of the month, building up the necessary velocity to break free from our planet's gravitational pull.

Man I love this stuff. Well we're just gonna whip around the Earth over and over and then bust out of our gravity. I consider myself a pretty intelligent person, but dang.

Edited by wallarookiller