Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tube Cloud Rolls Over Texas

Lava_Lady

<iframe width="624" height="351" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" src="http://news.yahoo.com/video/tube-cloud-rolls-over-texas-180831222.html?format=embed&player_autoplay=false"></iframe>

I've never seen anything like this before, amazing and I wish I could've seen it in person!

Http://news.yahoo.com/video/tube-cloud-rolls-over-texas-180831222.html

Edited by Lava_Lady
  • Like 4

Wow, that's weird! Wonder if planes can fly though it? And if yes would they 'burst' it?

• Like 1

Wow! That was so awesome! The town must have been near the coast because I think that is where they originate from.

Loved it.

Thanks for posting this.

• Like 1

Some places here in Oz get those reasonably regularly - here they are called "Morning Glory" clouds :)

Check this out for some astonishing footage of a hang-glider surfing the wave...

[media=]

[/media]
  • Like 3

I love that you can hear the cloud moving! The sky is so gorgeous, I might have stood there slack jawed in a mm amazement until it disappeared or even run after it in awe like a primitive human might have! Lol!

What is the beeping noise? Is it some sort of radar?

I think it might be from the camera. Or is it ALIENS??? Lol!

Some places here in Oz get those reasonably regularly - here they are called "Morning Glory" clouds :)

Check this out for some astonishing footage of a hang-glider surfing the wave...

[media=]

[/media]

Phenomenal footage!!!

Great videos.....both :tu:

It's actually an arcus cloud and, according to the Wikipedia article, "roll clouds are usually formed by outflows of cold air from sea breezes or cold fronts in the absence of thunderstorms." I live in Southern Louisiana and we're expecting a drop in temps tomorrow - as with the rest of the country - but no rain will be present as the front passes through. I would guess, then, that the same is happening in Texas. A front is passing through, but without storms so the arcus/roll cloud was able to form.

• Like 1

I was struck by a bit of a coincidence as i drove home night before last, and decided to pull off the freeway into a shopping centre to grab this photo:

gallery_95887_11_56679.jpg

OK, not quite a roll/morning glory cloud, but you can certainly see the same mechanics at work - we are just moving into storm season now, and that was a pretty cool one, I thought.. And it was certainly moving - within 20 minutes it was pelting down on top of that location - lots of lightning and thunder but thankfully no hail..

(for the technical - Sony A57 with 18-55 lens set at widest and using panorama mode to capture about 160 degrees of sky. The original is about 12500 pixels by 1800..)

• Like 2

I was struck by a bit of a coincidence as i drove home night before last, and decided to pull off the freeway into a shopping centre to grab this photo:

gallery_95887_11_56679.jpg

OK, not quite a roll/morning glory cloud, but you can certainly see the same mechanics at work - we are just moving into storm season now, and that was a pretty cool one, I thought.. And it was certainly moving - within 20 minutes it was pelting down on top of that location - lots of lightning and thunder but thankfully no hail..

(for the technical - Sony A57 with 18-55 lens set at widest and using panorama mode to capture about 160 degrees of sky. The original is about 12500 pixels by 1800..)

Holy moly!!! What a grand picture!! Thanks for posting, it's amazing!

It almost looks like a mouth opening up to swallow the town!! AAhhhh!!!! :o

Edited by Lava_Lady