Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Strange Thing In Photo?

Quill

Whoa, long time no see UM.

I haven't been very active here for some time, but when this showed up I decided to come here with it.

So let me start at the beginning: My mother has a facebook account (I do not) and wanted a picture of me to post on her page. I hate having my picture taken, but after a few days of Mama asking I relented and took my picture for her. This was on November 5. She was happy and posted it. About a week later she asks me to come and look at her computer, she has the picture on the screen. She asked me if I noticed anything strange and gestured toward a certain area of the picture. At first I thought it was my purse, but the closer I looked I realized there was something that appeared to behind my purse, sitting on my bed. There are no animals on my bed, or in my room. I used to have a dog (chihuahua), but he passed on in 2011, and we recently lost a cat about a month ago.

I am by no means a professional photographer.

The camera I used is a Canon Rebel XS Eos (It's digital), the lens I used is the 18-55 mm, with the image stabilizer and auto focus on. ISO is on 1600. If I remember correctly I had the dial on AV, possibly A-DEP. The flash was not on. I am standing in my bathroom (for better lighting) the camera was on a tripod on the sink. The room behind me is my bedroom. The bed is a sleigh bed, the end closest to me is covered in clothes (I have a bad habit of not hanging things up right away) and is where I usually set my purse.

I have cropped the pictures for sizing (and not to break anyone's computer with my face. :wacko: )

I'm hoping someone can tell me what this is or is not.

Thank you for your time,

Quill

cropmys_zps8b2287b6.png

I tried to outline my purse and clothes.

cropmys2_zps2c1513d4.png

And a closeup.

mys2_zps9d951b25.png

Edited by Quill
  • Like 2

one of those little creatures from the movie "the gate"

what ever it is dont feed it after midnight and dont get it wet

• Like 1

one of those little creatures from the movie "the gate"

what ever it is dont feed it after midnight and dont get it wet

Wasn't that a mogwai from the movie Gremlins? :w00t:

It looks like it's made from black leather with 2 studs on it that could be mistaken for eyes.

• Like 4

I thought it was my purse or a jacket too, however I could make out the stap and studs, and I hadn't pulled any jackets out of my closet at the time. :/

That's pretty freaky! Not joking but that thing looks like one of the creepy little cat poppets this lady sells at our trading post and those things creep me out too. (and I'm a cat lover)

That's creepy. Maybe it's your passed away kitty cat :)

Oh, funky kitteh.

Do you have any deceased cats that lived with you in the home?

If so, does this one look familiar, no pun intended.

Maybe your cat giving you a special visit, you should consider visiting your cat. :yes:

• Like 1

It's a natural human trait to see faces (human or otherwise) in images where there were none. If you ask me, it looks more rat-like than cat and the eyes look more like brass buttons.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone.

As for my cat, he did pass away on my bed :sm (as did my dog). I wouldn't mind them stopping by or anything, just as long as they're not staying, I would want them to cross over.

However, I'm not going to discount that it could be clothing, or something manmade. The eyes can be tricked. I just don't remember anything being there on that area of the bed when I took that picture. I had taken another picture but deleted it, now I wish I still had it for comparison. :unsure:

Whatever it is, it looks so eerie...just sitting there...watching. :ph34r:

• Like 1

I'm inclined to say some kind of fabric with reflective metal, but it does certainly look like some kind of creepy toy cat or something!

• Like 1

I'd like to see a few pics of that purse/bag - front and back, and with the flap/s in different positions. It looks a LOT like a leather/dark fabric flap or cuff with two studs in it. Did you shop that day? Have you really checked every item of clothing, inc. accessories, you might have had that day?

Also, if that was taken on a Rebel, the original must surely be much, much larger than what you have posted - any chance of access to the original file, or a crop at full-resolution? I don't suppose it was shot in 'raw' format, was it? If you don't know what that is, the answer will be no.. If it *was*, can you make the raw file available, please? (I can pm you an email address)

• Like 1

It looks like a black chihuahua. It's interesting that you said you had a chihuahua which passed away. Now, obviously, to go from the fact that your chihuahua died to thinking that the thing in the photo is some sort of ghost is a big leap. But, nonetheless, if you are sure there was nothing behind the purse, then it is an intriguing photo.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a few pics of that purse/bag - front and back, and with the flap/s in different positions. It looks a LOT like a leather/dark fabric flap or cuff with two studs in it. Did you shop that day? Have you really checked every item of clothing, inc. accessories, you might have had that day?

Also, if that was taken on a Rebel, the original must surely be much, much larger than what you have posted - any chance of access to the original file, or a crop at full-resolution? I don't suppose it was shot in 'raw' format, was it? If you don't know what that is, the answer will be no.. If it *was*, can you make the raw file available, please? (I can pm you an email address)

No, I hadn't been shopping that day, I've checked my clothes, purse, even the bag I keep my tripod in, but nothing seems to match up. As for my camera I have set on (higher) Medium, 2816x1880. I then resized it on my computer to 1000x668. I picked out which pictures I thought looked best and them cleaned out my camera after I uploaded them to my computer.

I've tried to recreate the scene in my bedroom, it's not exact, but maybe it will give a better idea of what was on my bed. (Camera settings are the same.) I resized them to 1000x668 like the original.

The first one is of my purse on the edge of my bed with the strap hanging over, I thought the two rings that hold the strap were the culprit when Mama first brought it to my attention.

IMG_8737_zps9bf65d5a.jpg

The second is the same, but with the stap laying to the other side of the purse, with my tripod bag laying across my bed like it would have been that day. I think this one may be the closest to the original. Which means that what I thought was the strap may actually be my tripod bag.

IMG_8742_zps429845c7.jpg

Here's a redo of the outlines:

mys3_zps1e0d056c.png

Edited by Quill

Sorry, I'm not seeing anything more than your purse at a weird angle with all of that reflective gold metal.

The key difference between the original and your new photos is that, in the original, the stuff on the bed is out of focus. Specifically I think what you're seeing in the original is the double reflection off the gold ring on your purse. This double reflection can clearly be seen in the more recent photos.

• Like 1

The key difference between the original and your new photos is that, in the original, the stuff on the bed is out of focus. Specifically I think what you're seeing in the original is the double reflection off the gold ring on your purse. This double reflection can clearly be seen in the more recent photos.

I agree - and here, either from the reflections on that ring, or the two studs beneath, is the dog/cat/alien.

post-95887-0-83398900-1384292668_thumb.j

• Like 2