Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
George Ford

Depression 'makes us biologically older'

7 posts in this topic

"Depression can make us physically older by speeding up the ageing process in our cells, according to a study.

Lab tests showed cells looked biologically older in people who were severely depressed or who had been in the past.

These visible differences in a measure of cell ageing called telomere length couldn't be explained by other factors, such as whether a person smoked."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-24897247

It's enough to make me feel depressed..... :cry:

Happy people always look younger, this should be a surprise to no one :P

Happy people always look younger, this should be a surprise to no one :P

Thats because happy people drink and smoke less.

Oops

*I fixed it*

Edited by Lilly
removed double post

Seems kind of harsh though, if you have a rough life you're going to age faster...like a double whammy.

1 person likes this

Thats because happy people drink and smoke less.

Oops

*I fixed it*

partly but its also the act of being stressed. The best way that my professor said to understand stresses effect on health is to compare it to a car in park but with the gas pedal all the way down. When you are stressed your body goes in to a fight or flight response but for longer periods of time then we were adapted for. Everything goes in to full drive.

it any of that makes any sense.

partly but its also the act of being stressed. The best way that my professor said to understand stresses effect on health is to compare it to a car in park but with the gas pedal all the way down. When you are stressed your body goes in to a fight or flight response but for longer periods of time then we were adapted for. Everything goes in to full drive.

it any of that makes any sense.

So, If I gave up work, I'd be less stressed and would look younger? Plus, I'd have less money to spend on cigs and booze. Edited by SheWomanCatTypeThing
1 person likes this

Depends on how you think about it. Negative thinking causes negative reactions versus positive thinking causes positive reactions.

Example: The glass is half full versus the glass is half empty. Happiness versus sadness.