Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A room in our new house

Lady Shade

Ok so we just moved into this new house. And our basement is huge. It has at least 4 rooms and a garage. This one room didn't have any bulb in it until I put one in, it also smelled of human urine. At night only I get a creeped out feeling from it. Only at night. My daughter feels it too. Could it be just EMF interfering making us feel this way? Only at night? Or new home jitter? I feel safe everywhere else in the house, and i've been in the room in the day and it's fine. Our landlord did tell us a funeral home used to be on the property where our house now stands. I don't think it's haunted, just curious and thought also maybe interesting to share. A member asked me to share my experience, so bulveye here it is :yes: . Thanks for reading.

Edited by Lady Shade
  • Like 1

Any bits of the room stand out like parts that could be false walls or flooring that looks like its been tampered with? Also is it 100% secure, like no easy to open windows that a human could get in?

-EDIT-

Did you change all the locks yet? When I moved into my house I changed all the door locks. When my brother and his wife move into their home he changed all his locks. Just in case.

Edited by bulveye

No the landlord doesn't even have the keys for the locks. There was a window, but it lead under the house (idk why). It was busted but we fixed it. The room used to be a drug hang out. The last tenants son sold drugs out of there from what I heard. Haven't seen or heard anything in the room, only creepy at night. I even turned the lights on at night and went in there. I had to leave quickly lol.

No the landlord doesn't even have the keys for the locks. There was a window, but it lead under the house (idk why). It was busted but we fixed it. The room used to be a drug hang out. The last tenants son sold drugs out of there from what I heard. Haven't seen or heard anything in the room, only creepy at night. I even turned the lights on at night and went in there. I had to leave quickly lol.

Well how does the land lord know the drug dealer does not still have keys? I'd be wary if I was you, but then again I'm generally paranoid anyway. If you have no reason to go down into the basement I would not tempt fate, just stay out of there. If you do have to go down then maybe make sure you tell someone and go with someone. If it's secure then you could try ghost hunting with a mobile phone/camera, could even try recording some EVP.

The urine smell could be from previous druggie or homeless people, but the landlord should sort that out they are a decent person. The urine smell might also have been fluid leaking from the bodies and not being drained correctly. Try and find out which room they kept the bodies in and take precautions, there could be germs!

Seems weird a bulb was missing from a room. Even if it broke most people would leave it in the fitting until they change it out. If I was to guess any funny business it would be the room with no bulb, unless of course they removed the bulb to put in another room I suppose.

Maybe be take photos anyway, basements tend to be creepy, same with attics for some reason.

Edited by bulveye

We will be replacing all the locks lol. We have to wash and dry the clothes in basement so we go there alot. But yeah I would try ghost hunting but if there is anything here do I really wanna draw it's attention and let it know that I found out about it? :cry: I'm hoping for EMF or new home creeps lol.

There's at least 4 rooms in the basement, as in you don't know how many?

Anyway, I think it's natural to feel creeped out about a room in a house you just moved into that smells of urine. Your imagination naturally assumes something weird might have happened like someone was kept captive there. Might be something simpler like homeless people using it as shelter before you moved in?

As for feeling creeped out at night, that's also natural. When it's dark and quiet and you're not distracted by the bustle of everyday daytime life, your mind plays tricks on you. I'm a night owl and every so often in the wee hours while sitting here browsing the internet I get a sudden shiver down my spine and get paranoid that someone is watching me. I usually then go to bed and shrug it off. I don't think it really means anything other than we're naturally evolved to be cautious and wary at night when in our evolutionary past things that wanted to eat us would be prowling around looking for us so we're naturally on edge.

If you're concerned about a funeral home being on the premises previously, I'd check it out. People have all sorts of weird stories about houses being built on Indian burial grounds, war graves, the scene of a horrific murder, etc. A lot of then are just old urban legends. Not that it's a thing that should concern you anyway. Unless you're going to go live in the middle of the desert or on a boat, you're probably going to be on or near the site of something bad happening or associated with death, etc.

Edited by JesseCuster
  • Like 2

Well I think graveyards wouldn't be haunted, unless your a gravedigger that loves your job. Same goes for a funeral home. Most people wouldn't wanna hang there alive, let alone dead. But I was wondering why that one room bothered me. And there is a total of 4 rooms in basement. 2 are huge and 2 look like bedroom size. Was curious though if maybe something like light switches or lamps or even the furnace maybe giving off EMF and I was picking that up. But it's only at night so I guess could be new home jitters. Thanks all, figured it would make good reading lol. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a door for that particular room? Maybe you could try leaving it open with a door stop or something to make sure it doesn't close by accident. Maybe set up a recording?

But then again you are changing the locks, so it might be of no use. Was thinking if the previous tenant is getting in, maybe he'll close the door.

We will be replacing all the locks lol. We have to wash and dry the clothes in basement so we go there alot. But yeah I would try ghost hunting but if there is anything here do I really wanna draw it's attention and let it know that I found out about it? :cry: I'm hoping for EMF or new home creeps lol.

When you say EMF, do you mean EVP? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_voice_phenomenon