Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waking up to a voice

NocturnalWatcher

So basically I made this thread to talk about two strange things that have happened lately. A couple months ago I was sleeping as usual, but for the first time in my life I heard the voice of a women and she told me to wake up. I woke up, it was a normal day, nothing out of the ordinary happened. I just have never woke up to someone's voice before, perhaps it was a dream?

I have had a similar event happen to me last year as well I even made a thread here about it. Here's my exact post.

"Just wondering if anyone has ever awoken to a whistling noise before. I just woke up out of nowhere to a whistling noise, not a human noise more like an instrument or something. I don't remember dreaming about anything before it happened. It woke me up right out of sleep and I looked at my alarm clock it was 20mins before it was supposed to go off. The noise only lasted like 2 seconds and when I heard it I had the urge to wake up out of my sleep.

Just seemed a little bit strange I don't think I've ever had a sudden noise wake me up like that before it was something like a cross between a flute and a whistle."

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=242181&hl= That post is from April 2012.

Then recently it happened again I woke up to a voice.

So I woke up to a whistling/flute noise last year, and this year I woke up to a voice twice. I do not remember dreaming either nights before I woke up. I only remember waking up to the noise/voices.

On a completely unrelated note, I need some help on why my alarm clock changed times twice in the past month or so. About a week before the clocks were supposed to go back 1 hour for daylight savings, mine went forward an hour. I was late for work by 40mins I did not understand why the time on my clock changed. The time change was about a week later but the clock was going back an hour not forward, so it didn't make any sense to me. I went to bed and the time was right, I woke up it was 1 hour ahead.

A week later the clocks went back an hour, mine did not, and I had to manually set it back.

About a week and 1/2 after that my clock goes backwards exactly an hour. I wake up to my phone alarm clock its 4am but my real alarm clock says 3am. It was a random tuesday no reason for the time to change.

Notes: I have had this alarm clock for at least 5 years never had a problem

My alarm clock does not have a button to set back time or forward by an hour, there is only a single switch which controls the time, and you can only move it forward. If you wanted to set the alarm back an hour you would have to set it forward 23 hours, which would require holding the switch for about 20-30 seconds. I know I did not do this in my sleep. Also my alarm clock does not have a daylight savings button so there is no other way the time could have changed.

I am guessing some kind of computer glitch is the problem, but who knows. I no longer trust my alarm clock the only reason I still use it is to see if the time will change again.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NocturnalWatcher

• Houdini

• Still Waters

• thyra

If I were you I would throw away the broken clock and wouldnt think much the things that happens during waking up period where senses are not sharp and anything can be mistaken with anything. But I know me saying this will make you feel cold at heart and you wont do it, because such things, spirituality, idea of being connected to something mysterious makes people excited.

I sometimes think that if this reality is the reflection of the group subconscious, this excitement itself might be reason these 'anomalies' are occuring. we might be tricking ourselves into excitement in other words.

I think you got the wrong idea. I don't feel connected I wasn't excited and more than anything it just seemed odd to wake up to a voice, especially twice.

After I made this thread I did some research turns out I'm not the only one who has experienced this. Others have reported waking up to voices/gun shots/ door bell sounds, one person even said the exact same.thing I did, that he woke up to a women's voice saying wake up.

I do not believe the voice was a ghost or spirit, though the voice did not seem as though it was coming from me, I'm sure it was.

I have to think that it was some sort of dream sound.

As far as my alarm clock goes. I really have no idea there. But I don't believe either event had anything to do with the paranormal

I just realized I had another waking experience that I never posted about on this site. I went back and found the post its from August 2012. For some reason I thought it was longer ago.

"So I woke up in my room to a strange vibrating noise

It sounded like something high tech. I've never heard anything like it and it sounded like it was coming from the walls. There was also a purple blue light shining through my window.

I tried to figure out what it was for a minute but then I just ignored it and went back to bed.

The next morning I asked my parents if they had heard anything they said no."

the sound was very high tech and futuristic sounding like some kind of advanced machine. I still remember the sound but I can't describe it.

I know there is nothing in the house that can make that sound. I've lived in the room for over 10 years.

The furnace does not even come close to the sound I heard.

As someone who has researched the paranormal for over a decade I know what it sounds like, alien abduction. I don't believe this is what happened though I have no explanation.

The difference between this waking and waking to the voices were..

I did not wake up to the sound in my ear or my head, it was clearly coming from the walls. Also there was light coming from my window.

Unlike the voices/ flute sound this did not stop after waking

It continued until I fell back asleep. I looked around a good minute or so trying to think of what it was before I decided to ignore it and go back to bed.

I'm fairly certain I did not dream the event, I was awake too long and I've never been in a dream which creates an exact replica of my room. Not to say its impossible but I don't think it was.

Why didn't I look to see what was causing the light thru my window? I ask myself the same thing. One would think if u woke.up to vibrating walls and light thru your window you would investigate. I don't know why I never looked out the window, especially as someone so interested in the paranormal.

Notes: some might say I was about to astral project, although I'm not entirely sold ap is real I'll just say this. I heard your body vibrates before ap, it was not me vibrating it was my walls.

I guess that's about it

hearing sounds and voices upon awakening(or as one is just falling asleep) is fairly commonplace.

throw your clock out, it's malfunctioning.

Edited by JGirl

Oh one more thing I'll mention about the light. It did not illuminate my entire room. It was only in a certain spot along my walls. The way the light was angled it seemed to be coming from above my.house, or something at least as high as my window, as the light was hitting the wall it was at around the same height as the bottom of my window. My room is on the 2nd floor so a light that would be coming from outside should have been up higher on the walls.

Eg if u go outside and flash a flashlight into your neighbors 2nd floor where would the light Hit? Probably the ceiling or.higher up the walls. This was too low to be coming from someone standing outside. There is no big buildings near by either.

And the light had circular lines in it, kind of hard to explain

One common factor in all of the incidents is I was sleeping, maybe the vibrating walls and lights episode was a hallucination of some sort, I think that would be the most logical answer. I really didn't feel like I was dreaming but it doesn't make sense that I didn't go to the window, which I think most people would have done, it also doesn't make sense that I went back to bed within a couple minutes, even though I was tired.

I can not find any other vibrating wall stories from google, so not sure what to make of it.

Here is some other threads where people experience waking to voices though.

http://www.godlikepr...sage1063685/pg1

http://www.psychic-e....php?story=1699

one of the quotes

"Things I heard many times

"Wake up"

"Time to wake up"

"Stop sleeping"

I hear it as clear as I would hear someone else in the room"

Same thing I heard the first time "Wake Up"

Edited by NocturnalWatcher

Sounds harmless enough to me whether it is a dream or a spirit voice, or just somebody put a tea kettle on in another room. A spirit or other outside entity would imply that it's not in your own nature to fool yourself or hoax, yes they can come through like in your dream, and dreams come from the subconscious mind. Many people have such dreams, and most of them never give that much a second thought. But they/spirits can impress us through dreams too, every person is born with this slight psychic ability but most never really delve into that, many won't even believe that it exists either. It is just slightly more than a mere coincidence, but if you have coincidences frequently you should write them down, like keep a dream journal of your experiences.

Edited by spacelizard667

• 2 years later...

ive had similar experiences. i was asleep on my couch and i heard a woman whisper listen listen in my ear. it was in the middle of the night i believe because it was still dark out. anyways i was awake waiting for the woman to say what she wanted to say so i could go back to sleep. my eyes were still closed, but i heard her say again listen listen. this time i was feeling annoyed so i said aloud. ( I AM! ) which really got my attention because i realized i don't recognize the voice. so i woke up feeling the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. i looked around and nothing was there so i turned on the tv and went back to bead.

secondly my other and last experience i believe i had was i was sleeping in bead with my wife and i suddenly woke up feeling more scared than i have ever felt in my life i immediately flew from my bed and ran for the door as this was happening there was this figure in my closet sitting on my cloths basket with its hand under its chin kind of like a little elf thing. anyways i did not feel threatened or anything for the matter like i did not care about its presence.  anyways as i flew from the bed i ran to my door in record speed and everything in my body was telling me to run get out as fast as possible but i froze there with my hand on the door handle. i remember telling myself why? its hard to explain after that but i stood there for about 40 seconds before i calmed down. 

is it night terrors or ect i dont know.       

2 hours ago, markaiden2012 said:

ive had similar experiences. i was asleep on my couch and i heard a woman whisper listen listen in my ear. it was in the middle of the night i believe because it was still dark out. anyways i was awake waiting for the woman to say what she wanted to say so i could go back to sleep. my eyes were still closed, but i heard her say again listen listen. this time i was feeling annoyed so i said aloud. ( I AM! ) which really got my attention because i realized i don't recognize the voice. so i woke up feeling the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. i looked around and nothing was there so i turned on the tv and went back to bead.

secondly my other and last experience i believe i had was i was sleeping in bead with my wife and i suddenly woke up feeling more scared than i have ever felt in my life i immediately flew from my bed and ran for the door as this was happening there was this figure in my closet sitting on my cloths basket with its hand under its chin kind of like a little elf thing. anyways i did not feel threatened or anything for the matter like i did not care about its presence.  anyways as i flew from the bed i ran to my door in record speed and everything in my body was telling me to run get out as fast as possible but i froze there with my hand on the door handle. i remember telling myself why? its hard to explain after that but i stood there for about 40 seconds before i calmed down. 

is it night terrors or ect i dont know.       

You sound like a total bullshipper to me ! Or you are experiencing "altered states" caused by illicit substances. No-one would answer a strange voice whispering in their ear without looking to see if anyone was actually there, and I love how you high-tailed it out of the bed leaving your wife to face the horrors, real or imagined, you were decamping from.

It's called "hypnagogia", and it is common.  It happens to me a lot (hearing voices upon waking/ falling asleep, hearing weird (LOUD!) noises like doorbells etc.  Supposedly it is just a form of dreaming.  I'll admit my imagination usually goes wild and I often believe there is more to it.  Maybe there is?

• 2 months later...

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Habitat said:

... Yeah this is strange. It  happened to me as well. I've been having trouble sleeping for some days. I was sleeping this time and I remember dreaming of regular things but suddenly i knew i was awake.... I don't know if it was lucid dreaming but... I felt someone in my room like my Mom or Sister calling on  me to wake up and get ready. And when I woke up... I don't still understand if i was waking up or just responding to get up from bed ..but I wasn't sleeping and I was aware of everything . But no one was there. And I checked the rooms and every one else was asleep.... This is creepy. 

... Yeah this is strange. It  happened to me as well. I've been having trouble sleeping for some days. I was sleeping this time and I remember dreaming of regular things but suddenly i knew i was awake.... I don't know if it was lucid dreaming but... I felt someone in my room like my Mom or Sister calling on  me to wake up and get ready. And when I woke up... I don't still understand if i was waking up or just responding to get up from bed ..but I wasn't sleeping and I was aware of everything . But no one was there. And I checked the rooms and every one else was asleep.... This is creepy. 

• 8 months later...

I know I'm late to the party. I was googling "waking up to a voice" and found this post. The alarm clock thing is really weird. I would say a power outage could make it slow, but not likely exactly one hour slow. A power outage wouldn't make it go forward, though. 

Some people would say a spirit or spirit guide was trying to get your attention, or that the numbers on the clock have a special meaning. I don't really know. 

As far as the purple light and vibrating walls, my first thought was a search helicopter, but purple's an odd color for it and if it was close enough to make the room vibrate you would have heard the rotors.  

• 2 weeks later...

It happened to me!! WTF!! I was having a nightmare and then I heard a voice of a woman calling me to wake up, the voice was very smooth and beautiful, it was like an echoing voice, like I was in a movie. She was speaking in my native language (portuguese).

Then I woke up and saw  a ball of light flying in my room (near to the ceiling, a few meters next to me). It was white/green (i'm not certain). Then it came very close to me and stayed the hole night. After it, I dreamt well the hole week. No nightmares for a while.

• 3 weeks later...

well I woke up to a lady's voice today and thought it was strange, so I searched the net to see if anyone else had something similar. The voice did nothing it was gentle and called me Sir. it kept saying Sir wake up. until I woke up and the voice just vanished 

21 minutes ago, johnolive said:

well I woke up to a lady's voice today and thought it was strange, so I searched the net to see if anyone else had something similar. The voice did nothing it was gentle and called me Sir. it kept saying Sir wake up. until I woke up and the voice just vanished 

When you searched the net, did you search dreaming? 

If you did not, then maybe these will help:

Hypnopompic hallucinations refer to bizarre sensory experiences that occur during the transitory period between a sleeping state and wakefulness.  Imagine sensing that you are slowly transitioning from a sleeping state to being fully awake, when at some point during that transition, you begin seeing vivid geometric shapes, hearing sounds, or even sensing touch.

http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/05/18/hypnopompic-hallucinations-causes-types-treatment/

When you hear people speak of sleep hallucinations they generally aren’t talking about mental phenomena that happen during sleep, but in fact during waking. Or more precisely, during the waking time very close to sleep or in the transition between sleeping and waking.

https://www.tuck.com/sleep-hallucinations/

An hallucination can be experienced through any of the senses singly, or all of them together. So one might have an hallucinatory smell or sound. To understand hallucinations, which are quite common without any use of drugs such as alcohol, LSD, or cannabis, one must remember that everyone has the natural ability to produce such images. One of the definitions of a dream according to Freud is its hallucinatory quality. While asleep we can create full sensory, vocal, motor and emotional experience in our dream. While dreaming we usually accept what we experience as real. An hallucination is an experience of a ‘dream’ occurring while we have our eyes open. The voices heard, people seen, smells smelt, although appearing to be outside of us, are no more exterior than the things and images of our dreams.

http://dreamhawk.com/dream-encyclopedia/hallucinations/

What you dreamt is very common, especially if you are going through any stress, trauma, loss of someone close,  moving home, worries, there are so many reasons why you could have dreamt this.  do not read about anything paranormal, so much research has been done over many years by professionals and it can be explained  as the above links show.

Edited by freetoroam

• 1 month later...

I've had something similar happen to me too just last week!! I woke up 20min before my alarm clock to my mom calling me by name. It was strange because I woke up and she wasn't even there and I woke up with so much energy. Ever since that night I've had dreams of me waking up while asleep and in those dreams I feel heeeeeaaavy and with my window wide opened. Everything outside is different and my room remains the same but I can hear construction workers outside. And at first I thought it was just another vivid dream but I have had the same dream over 5x in a week. In the first dream a lil boy came in through my window looking to hide and I was p***ed since I wanted to shower? And I was just watching this happen as a 2nd person point of view instead of doing anything about it. Then I kept having the same ass dream to me waking up (it's first person now) in that room and I got fed up because usually when thqt happens I have trouble waking up. I can't wake up. All I want to do is not dream and just wake the f up. So one night I got so mad that I was there AGAIN so I started storming around punching everything and by surprise it was soft and the ceiling started to slowly change and my walls too and I looked at myself in the mirror and my eyes were crossed and I got scared af so I ran to my bed and tried to fall asleep in that room to wake up in mine?? But that never happened since I was mad and I just woke up feeling super heeavy. I don't want to keep dreaming this dream so I searched it up came across this website, surprised that someone has woke them up before too and now I want to know how does it stop and if any of y'all can wake up or not. 

People will tell you it's hynagogic hallucination. Maybe, but it can be affected by the psyche. It can be stopped. So it has to come from there, and yet other people in the same household can have the same experiences. So it can be somewhat external, yet controllable. 

Almost every belief system has a way of ousting phenomena like this. Just use whatever works for you. In the absence of knowing any banishing tool, you could always youtube the LBRP. 

What you affect is your own psyche, so that it stops projecting phenomena. 

• 2 months later...

You are going through a SPIRITUAL AWAKENING. this isn't a joke... Look it up. The universe is trying to wake you up. It's a real thing happening all over the world. 

• 1 month later...

Just to point out, the OP of this topic hasn't been an active member for almost 3 years.

That said, if anyone has any experiences of their own they'd like to share with us, feel free to start a new topic.

• The topic was locked