Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Neurosurgeon: Obamacare Threatens Freedom

joc

One of the problems in America's health care system may be the fact that so many get their coverage through their employer in group policies. Insurance companies like this arrangement, and many don't offer anything else, because in a group approach they avoid the picking and choosing individuals engage in (those who anticipate illness go out and buy insurance but really healthy people don't). This serves to force up the price of individual health policies and puts the self-employed, the unemployed, and those who work for small businesses not offering this coverage at a huge discriminatory disadvantage.

It gives us more of an advantage as far as I am concerned. We aren't locked into one insurance company because that is the only option available to us through an employer. Insurance companies start out giving people a good rate to suck them in and then regularly go up in price "across the board" as they say. After a few years, when the cost becomes too prohibitive, you can simply change insurance companies. The only benefit to having it through an employer is that they pay a portion of the premiums, but you still have no choice in your coverage or deductible...you take what is offered to you.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1

One of the problems in America's health care system may be the fact that so many get their coverage through their employer in group policies. Insurance companies like this arrangement, and many don't offer anything else, because in a group approach they avoid the picking and choosing individuals engage in (those who anticipate illness go out and buy insurance but really healthy people don't). This serves to force up the price of individual health policies and puts the self-employed, the unemployed, and those who work for small businesses not offering this coverage at a huge discriminatory disadvantage.

Also, it is highly unlikely that a corporation will be hiring anyone with massive chronic illness. You just don't see 5 year lung cancer patients getting new jobs, or alzheimers patients entering the workforce. So it is a relatively safe bet to insure a business.

• Like 2

George W. failed at every business venture he ever tried until being elected president because of who his daddy was Keep laughing.How about W's national guard records from when he was avoiding the Viet Nam war? And now he's a war hawk. What a joke.

Are you Ed Schultz by any chance? I'm not going to waste my time as you are, well, not a bright guy. "Viet Nam" is one word though, Vietnam, just so you avoid making such an idiotic mistake in the future thereby furthering embarrassing yourself. Are you an SEIU member by any chance? Just asking.

Here is a timeline of Bush owning a part of the Rangers. http://static.espn.go.com/mlb/bush/timeline.html I realize you won't read this because "people" like you have no interest in the facts. Bush is NOT my favorite president but BS like you are spewing needs to be addressed.

Thanks for giving me a new hobby though.

• Like 2

It gives us more of an advantage as far as I am concerned. We aren't locked into one insurance company because that was the only option available to us through an employer. Insurance companies start out giving people a good rate to suck them in and then regularly go up in price "across the board" as they say. After a few years, when the cost becomes too prohibitive, you could simply change insurance companies. The only benefit to having it through an employer is that they pay a portion of the premiums, but you still have no choice in your coverage or deductible...you take what was offered to you.

You appear to have been so eager to refute me that you didn't read what I said. I will repeat: the advantage to insurers of group policies is that they don't have what is called "adverse selection." Rather than my explain that again you might reread my first post.

That employers sometimes pay for all or much of it is an added bonus to the insurer as it hides the cost from the consumer. Labor unions especially like this sort of thing, but in the end it hurts so many who are left out.

You appear to have been so eager to refute me that you didn't read what I said.

Why do you think you're so important in the grand scheme of what is called "my life" that I'm "so eager to refute" you? I made a comment concerning one of your points...big whoop. Get over yourself.

DieChecker also made a very good point in response to your post.

It's really easy to spout off something...more of a challenge to prove said spout...so...I challenge you..

Prove that W was a failure at every business venture he engaged in. First: name those business ventures one by one...show us some financial proof of the failure of those businesses. Spread sheets? Graphs? Something? Yeah...just spouting mindless regurgitation of someone else's prior regurgitation of BS...

No I grew up in Texas and watched his career. As far as proving it look it up yourself if you are that interested.It is public record

Why do you think you're so important in the grand scheme of what is called "my life" that I'm "so eager to refute" you? I made a comment concerning one of your points...big whoop. Get over yourself.

DieChecker also made a very good point in response to your post.

My word! I guess I hit the nail right on the head to get that kind of emotional outburst out of you.

Are you Ed Schultz by any chance? I'm not going to waste my time as you are, well, not a bright guy. "Viet Nam" is one word though, Vietnam, just so you avoid making such an idiotic mistake in the future thereby furthering embarrassing yourself. Are you an SEIU member by any chance? Just asking.

Here is a timeline of Bush owning a part of the Rangers. http://static.espn.g...timeline.html I realize you won't read this because "people" like you have no interest in the facts. Bush is NOT my favorite president but BS like you are spewing needs to be addressed.

Thanks for giving me a new hobby though.

Your link didn't work for me but I remember when W bought into the rangers with daddy's money. And I will spell Viet Nam however I damn well choose

No I grew up in Texas and watched his career. As far as proving it look it up yourself if you are that interested.It is public record

I grew up in...and still... live in Texas. And wait...you are the one spouting the crap...prove it...if it is public record...SHOW ME! You can't because your words are untrue.

Your link didn't work for me but I remember when W bought into the rangers with daddy's money. And I will spell Viet Nam however I damn well choose

What the Hell has George Bush to do with Obamacare? Also, you should admit a mistake when you make it and maybe learn. In English Vietnam is one word (although ironically it is two words in Vietnamese).
  • Like 1

My word! I guess I hit the nail right on the head to get that kind of emotional outburst out of you.

Well if it makes you feel special...

Well if it makes you feel special...

You...make me feel special... :yes:

• Like 1

I grew up in...and still... live in Texas. And wait...you are the one spouting the crap...prove it...if it is public record...SHOW ME! You can't because your words are untrue.

No if you are truly Texan then you know the truth of my words as well as I do. I'm just really not that interested in doing that much work for this crap. Name one business other than the Rangers that he succeeded at.

You...make me feel special... :yes:

:w00t:

You know you will always have a special place in my heart. ;)

I see. So I can conclude that you, if you have house, household, or car insurance have policies that were entirely of your own design - with the premiums and coverage you stipulated?

For the most part yes. I can pretty much get the coverage that I want. I am not forced to buy flood insurance. I don’t need renter’s insurance. I could get liability only. The choices are mine to decide on. Since home and auto are inanimate objects and they are not under my supervision 24x7 and it only behooves me to protect my property. But to force me to purchase pre natal care and other things that I don’t need or want is a violation of my civil and Constitutional Rights.

Very good. I can see you prefer to view reality in stereotypes.

No. I just prefer to view reality.

It appears we have little left to discuss, as I don't believe we will agree on much, if anything.

Sounds good to me.

• Like 1

They are doing so because Obama's law made the policies they were providing 'illegal'. Without changing the law...the Insurance companies are not going to reinstate anyone...because they face civil lawsuits if they did down the road.

I don't understand this. Is it not true that 95% of insured Americans won't qualify for Obamacare as they already have insurance? The policies that you claim have been made illegal are those that didn't meet minimum standards.

I don't understand this. Is it not true that 95% of insured Americans won't qualify for Obamacare as they already have insurance? The policies that you claim have been made illegal are those that didn't meet minimum standards.

Can you tell me why a woman who can't have children should be forced to pay for maternity coverage? That is one of the minimum standards according to the ACA.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

SpaceDude! Who set the minimum standards???? Obama's ACA did. What were perfectly legitimate policies are now 'sub-standard'...illegal...they weren't before...but the ACA made them illegal. Man. I am sorry, truly sorry that I stopped smoking pot years ago, because I would love to toke on whatever it is that you are smoking! :-*

• Like 3

Everyone has the option to join Obamacare. The Intel Corporation sent me a letter telling me that I could opt out of my work insurance and join the state Exchange if I felt lead to do so. The letter also explained that 90% of the funding of my current plan, paid for by them, would not be going with me, I'd be on my own. That 15,000+ dollars would be gone.

So basically anyone is eligable for the Exchanges, but 90% of them would be total idiot Fools to do so.

It is correct that the illegal policys are due to the new standards. Of which everyone must be forced to own gynocological/maternity insurance, even if they are male and single. And must own pediatric insurance, even if they have no children. These, naturally will increase the price of any plan they are added to.

What is idiotic is that if someone DOES get married, or DOES have a kid. Either by adoption or whatever. They have the right to update their insurance anyway!!! That's right, it is mandated that we have insurance we can't use, which if we did need it, we could change insurance to fit the situation anyway.

So, it is the new standards mandates that are a big part of the problem.

How is making things more expensive, making things more Affordable?

Edited by DieChecker
  • Like 3

Can you tell me why a woman who can't have children should be forced to pay for maternity coverage? That is one of the minimum standards according to the ACA.

Well Is that not the nature of insurance? Before this we all paid higher rates to pay for those who went to emergency rooms without insurance needing care.Personally I would prefer to see all insurance companies banned in favor of single payer socialized medicine but nobody listens to me.As far as your question no I don't have an answer for that.

Well Is that not the nature of insurance? Before this we all paid higher rates to pay for those who went to emergency rooms without insurance needing care.Personally I would prefer to see all insurance companies banned in favor of single payer socialized medicine but nobody listens to me.As far as your question no I don't have an answer for that.

Wrong! We never paid higher rates for those who went to ERs without insurance. That wasn't and isn't and never has been figured into the rates of insurance...Insurance Companies are not the ones paying that bill...YOU are...I am...we all are...Not the Insurance Companies.

But thank you for saying that you are in favor of single payer. Now I know that you have had a lethal amount of coolaid and will not continue to attempt to bring you out of the darkness. Have fun with that.

Edited by joc
  • Like 1

SpaceDude! Who set the minimum standards???? Obama's ACA did. What were perfectly legitimate policies are now 'sub-standard'...illegal...they weren't before...but the ACA made them illegal. Man. I am sorry, truly sorry that I stopped smoking pot years ago, because I would love to toke on whatever it is that you are smoking! :-*

Unfortunately I'm not smoking anything either but I do have a few beers in me. I admit what you are saying about some of these standards make little sense to me. I assume they are trying to make everyone pay something for everything so no one has to pay too much for whatever part they personally need, if that makes any sense. I don't have insurance. Couldn't get any before because of pre-existing conditions. I got a letter from the VA though saying that their care meets the minimum standards so I am covered. I guess that means if I get pregnant there shouldn't be a problem.
  • Like 1

What the Hell has George Bush to do with Obamacare? Also, you should admit a mistake when you make it and maybe learn. In English Vietnam is one word (although ironically it is two words in Vietnamese).

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Viet Nam has been two words since 200 BCE. I would suggest that the English spelling as one word is incorrect and a result of news people filing stories back in the 60's being charged by the word turning it into one word,

No, it isn't the nature of insurance. I've heard this mentioned many time before, but insurance companies don't pay for the uninsured in any fashion...our taxes do. I wouldn't object to someone proving me wrong on that point because I've been wondering where that thought originated.

• Like 2

Correct me if I am wrong but I believe Viet Nam has been two words since 200 BCE. I would suggest that the English spelling as one word is incorrect and a result of news people filing stories back in the 60's being charged by the word turning it into one word,

Just curious...how do you know so much about the history of the word Vietnam...but know nothing about the history of Obamacare? Or...Obama...for that matter?